Hispanic immigrants - enrichment or burden?

Do Hispanic immigrants pose an enrichment or a burden for American society?

• enrichment

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • burden

Votes: 16 61.5%
  • you should distinguish

Votes: 8 30.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hispanic immigrants - enrichment or burden?

Enrichment, clearly.

Those perceived to be a ‘burden’ are such having noting to do with being Hispanic.

But now I get that you have to distinguish, there`s obviosly a huge difference between illegal aliens and legal immigrants.

Actually not.

There’s no way to determine by sight alone, millions of illegal immigrants have lived here for years in a peaceful, lawful manner. Illegal immigrants are also entitled to basic due process rights – indeed, one isn’t determined ‘illegal’ until such time as he has been found guilty of entering the country undocumented in a court of law; in the United States, all persons are presumed innocent until proven guilty.

Consider also the fact thousands of immigrants came to the United States legally as minor children, only to lose their legal status later through no fault of their own.

OK. I mostly agree with you. I guess what really counts is their pursuit of a better life and whether they have honest aims, not if they possess the correct/legal documents. You shouldn`t judge a person only after his/her papers.

"honest aims" don't begin with breaking the law, violating the sovereignty of this country, and stepping in front of the millions trying to do things the right way.

Legal immigrants enrich. Illegal immigrants twist justice and turn neighbor against neighbor.

Legal immigrants are free to take part in the U.S. in the best sense.

Illegal immigrants -- perhaps they would like to take part in the U.S. but every day they show that they don't care about the laws of the land or our national security. Every day they reinforce the power of the criminal underground - drugs, human trafficking, identity theft, et cetera.

Illegal is illegal. Which laws should we be allowed to say we won't follow because we think that we should be entitled to break whichever law we decide is inconvenient?

It's sad that we have to make a distinction.

If some of us sound a little - a lot - tense about the subject, part of the reason at least in my case is that we are frequently accused of being anti-immigrant when we're not. We welcome people who come here in a legal manner.

Thanks for alle the answers, it really hepls!
Originally, I meant ALL Hispanics, the ones who come to realize their American dreams, regardless of legal/illegal. But now I get that you have to distinguish, there`s obviosly a huge difference between illegal aliens and legal immigrants. I will definitely thematize that in my term paper.
Thank you again!

Obtaining the american dream for them may not be the same as americans american dream. Americaqs usually reach higher.

Illegals always say they are looking for a better life (who isn't?), but then they steal identities or social security numbers. The better life that many of them "find" already belongs to someone else.

Since alot of illegals just come here for the money and send it back to Mexico, and than end up going back to Mexico themselves, why are they even called "immigrants"? aren't immigrants supposed to be people who come here from other countries and want to become Americans?

1. Are there more advantages or disadvantages of them being here?
2. Are they culturally enriching or do they rather contribute to the loss of American culture/ identity?
3. Would you like immigration of Latinos to this extent to continue?

1) disadvantages as the great majority are dirt poor and uneducated. It will take years for them to catch up to our way of life - if ever (I would say by the 3rd generation maybe 4th).

2) they contribute to the loss of the american culture due to the fact that they refuse to assimilate and live in neighborhoods predominantly latino.

3) I believe in a diverse country and there is nothing diverse about letting in millions upon millions from only one specific area - latin america (Mexico, Central/SoAmerica).

My great grandparents legally immigrated here from Europe. It was that simple. What has changed between that time and now? Are we better as a Nation for allowing undocumented migrants in now? How?

Last edited:
Until every American who wants a job has one that pays a living wage, we should not be allowing people in from other countries to steal our jobs and keep our wages low.

My great grandparents legally immigrated here from Europe. It was that simple. What has changed between that time and now? Are we better as a Nation for allowing undocumented migrants in now? How?

Our family friends who fled Hungary when the communicst took over were not allowed to move to this country. Why should any one else's friends be allowed in? My father was career Air Force, my mother an American citizen. After more than 20 years of trying to get his mother in law over here from Thailand, my brother failed and she died never being able to visit her children in their own home. Why should anyone else be able to come here when my friends and family can't? My brother BTW, served in the Vietnam war and it took him more than a year and $thousands to get his wife here from Thailand. Why should anyone be able to just walk across the border and be accepted and given a job?

Our family friends who fled Hungary when the communicst took over were not allowed to move to this country. Why should any one else's friends be allowed in? My father was career Air Force, my mother an American citizen. After more than 20 years of trying to get his mother in law over here from Thailand, my brother failed and she died never being able to visit her children in their own home. Why should anyone else be able to come here when my friends and family can't? My brother BTW, served in the Vietnam war and it took him more than a year and $thousands to get his wife here from Thailand. Why should anyone be able to just walk across the border and be accepted and given a job?

That post doesn't make it clear if you are speaking out in opposition to illegal immigration, or just acting like a selfish child. I would hope it is the former.

Until every American who wants a job has one that pays a living wage, we should not be allowing people in from other countries to steal our jobs and keep our wages low.

Are you talking about legal, or illegal immigrants?

Yes.

With few exceptions, even legal immigration should be curtailed until all Americans who want a job that pays a living wage has one.

We take in more legal immigrants than all other countries combined...that's a hell of a lot and we don't have the resources to support our own people. Americans FIRST!!!!

I would allow exceptions for those who are married to American citizens and those adopted by American citizens but the idea of "guest workers" is just another corporate attempt to steal jobs from American citizens and give them to immigrants for lower wages.

Yes.

With few exceptions, even legal immigration should be curtailed until all Americans who want a job that pays a living wage has one.

That's just fucking stupid, not to mention unamerican.

Enrichment, clearly.

Those perceived to be a ‘burden’ are such having noting to do with being Hispanic.

Actually not.

There’s no way to determine by sight alone, millions of illegal immigrants have lived here for years in a peaceful, lawful manner. Illegal immigrants are also entitled to basic due process rights – indeed, one isn’t determined ‘illegal’ until such time as he has been found guilty of entering the country undocumented in a court of law; in the United States, all persons are presumed innocent until proven guilty.

Consider also the fact thousands of immigrants came to the United States legally as minor children, only to lose their legal status later through no fault of their own.

OK. I mostly agree with you. I guess what really counts is their pursuit of a better life and whether they have honest aims, not if they possess the correct/legal documents. You shouldn`t judge a person only after his/her papers.

"honest aims" don't begin with breaking the law, violating the sovereignty of this country, and stepping in front of the millions trying to do things the right way.

Imaginary lines on a map don't mean much, if your family's hungry. "Honest aims" are irrelevant in that situation. Not recognizing that fact, but suggesting criminality is the real dishonesty.

Yes.

What do you know about American? The reason our friends were not allowed into this country in 1956 is because we had limited immigration. Those laws were changed in the 60's, only it allowed those from third world nations more chances to come here than those from first world nations (ie Europe).

How is it stupid to take care of our own first? Do you invite your neighbors over to eat your food if you don't have enough to feed your own kids? We have limited resources. A report I read stated that if the current levels of immigration continued, WA state would run out of water by 2016. We have 4 years left. Do you know where WA state is? Yeah, the rain capital of the world and we provide california with a heck of a lot of water and all that's gonna change when we can't even provide enough water for those living here.

Meanwhile, they are still discussing freeway problems we've had for more than 20 years, no one has even touched on the water problem. At least not publicly. They don't even want us to know how bad it is publicly.

Was it American to wipe out the buffulo? I'm guessing you think it was. How stupid. Wipe out your own source of food and then bring in more people to starve with you, very American of you.

Imaginary lines on a map don't mean much, if your family's hungry. "Honest aims" are irrelevant in that situation. Not recognizing that fact, but suggesting criminality is the real dishonesty.

Mexico has more natural resources than American. If hunger were truly the reason for illegal immigration, we'd be moving down there instead of the other way around.

1. They are here for cheap labor, to distract the working class and dilute its solidarity. Our ideologies, including Leftist, are completely controlled by Right Wing economics.
2. Their culture is barbaric and, at least in the race that emigrates, consists of laziness, drunkenness, uncontrolled breeding, and mindless violence.
3. I'd only like it to continue if I were an enemy of the United States. Immigration is treason. The slogan "A Nation of Immigrants" only applied when there was a shortage of labor to develop a land that had lain idle when it was occupied by backward savages of the same race as the Mexicans.

You are an unamerican, stupid piece of shit. Get the fuck out of my country, you worthless fuck.
You can't handle the truth. The emotional irrationalism of your reaction is evidence that I am telling the truth about this barbarian invasion. People like you are the reason the Roman Empire declined and collapsed, which led to the Dark Ages, same as this time.

Bullshit. That's like saying bank vaults don't mean much it your family's hungry. Is "the real dishonesty" making bank robbing a crime? Locks on doors don't mean much if your family's hungry. Is "the real dishonesty" making it a crime to break into someone else's house and steal their food?

Don't be a slave to your emotions.

Yes.

What do you know about American? .

The whole thing, missy. Illegal immigration is a very serious national problem, but being flat-out anti-immigration in general is absolutely anti-american. If you knew anything about the nature, history, and character of this country you wouldn't need it pointed out to you. Don't let fear and insecurity be your primary motivations.

Forum List

Back