Hispanic immigrants - enrichment or burden?

Discussion in 'Immigration/Illegal Immigration' started by uma, Dec 28, 2011.

?

Do Hispanic immigrants pose an enrichment or a burden for American society?

Poll closed Feb 26, 2012.
  1. enrichment

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  2. burden

16 vote(s)
    61.5%
  3. you should distinguish

8 vote(s)
    30.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. uma

uma Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey! I`m a German student and supposed to write a term paper about the topic above. I`d like to make a survey:

1. Are there more advantages or disadvantages of them being here?
    2. Are they culturally enriching or do they rather contribute to the loss of American culture/ identity?
    3. Would you like immigration of Latinos to this extent to continue?

It would be really nice if you helped me!

2. Vengeance

Vengeance Romans 12:19

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Some of both- many pull their own weight and are an asset, others become a liability. It's not an auspicious sign when a new immigrants first act is violating the law, but in most cases their children (the younger ones at least) Americanize and become for all intents and purposes just another citizen within a decade. Those who apply and go through the approved process tend to be better educated, speak the language and have more skills and the assimilation is pretty rapid.

Here in the southwest outside of California I'm for the most part happy for the hispanic influence but as with any seasoning where some may be good, it's a matter of how much and how well it's blended into the mix.

3. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,989
    First you must define what you mean. ILLEGAL ALIENS are not part of a LEGAL community and are a decided drag on the culture, they do not integrate and they do not pay taxes. They receive services from communities that are not receiving the tax dollars needed to support those services. Their children are granted citizenship simply for being born here even though the parents are ILLEGAL.

Immigrants are LEGAL not illegal. One can assume that a good number of them do integrate and assimilate into the communities they live in. They pay all taxes and are not a drag on the local or State Community.

4. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,733
    didn't germany practice "ethnic cleansing"? that's what you should be studying.

5. The Infidel

The Infidel EVIL CONSERVATIVE

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,173

Personally I dont really think you care, but here goes.

They are a burden to our educational system, our legal system (almost 1/3 of our prison inmates) and our healthcare system. They use fake identities and disrupt our elections with voter fraud.

Need I say more?

6. PrometheusBound

PrometheusBound The next human species

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +80
    1. They are here for cheap labor, to distract the working class and dilute its solidarity. Our ideologies, including Leftist, are completely controlled by Right Wing economics.
    2. Their culture is barbaric and, at least in the race that emigrates, consists of laziness, drunkenness, uncontrolled breeding, and mindless violence.
    3. I'd only like it to continue if I were an enemy of the United States. Immigration is treason. The slogan "A Nation of Immigrants" only applied when there was a shortage of labor to develop a land that had lain idle when it was occupied by backward savages of the same race as the Mexicans.

7. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,726
    You forgot to mention that their feet stink...

8. High_Gravity

High_Gravity Belligerent Drunk Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    Hispanic IMMIGRANTS who come here the right way are fine, however illegal immigrants are a burden because they use our education and health services for free and most of them send alot of their earnings back to Mexico, and alot of them are just seasonal workers, they don't have any desire to integrate into America they just want the money and the benefits.

9. Amelia

Amelia BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,119
    Are you speaking of illegal immigrants or those who chose to come here legally?

10. uma

uma Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for alle the answers, it really hepls!
    Originally, I meant ALL Hispanics, the ones who come to realize their American dreams, regardless of legal/illegal. But now I get that you have to distinguish, there`s obviosly a huge difference between illegal aliens and legal immigrants. I will definitely thematize that in my term paper.
    Thank you again!