His own doctor says no.....

Soaring

May 30, 2009
- to Obamacare - ouch!

Gateway Pundit: Figures. President's Own Physician Is Against Obamacare

Thursday, July 30, 2009
Figures. President's Own Physician Is Against Obamacare
It figures. Barack Obama's own physician is against Obamacare.
HuffPo reported:

The man Barack Obama consulted on medical matters for over two decades said on Tuesday that the president's vision for health care reform is bound for failure.

Dr. David Scheiner, a 70-year Chicago-based physician who treated Obama for more than 20 years, said he was disheartened by the health care legislation his former patient is championing, calling it piecemeal and ineffectual.

"I look at his program and I can't see how it's going to work," Scheiner told the Huffington Post. "He has no cost control. There would be no effective cost control in his program. The [Congressional Budget Office] said it's going be incredibly expensive ... and the thing that I really am worried about is, if it is the failure that I think it would be, then health reform will be set back a long, long time."

Scheiner, who prefers a more progressive approach to reform, was hesitant about trying to divine the president's motives, although he said he believed that "in his heart of hearts" Obama "may well like a single-payer program."

"His pragmatism is what is overwhelming him." Scheiner added: "I think he's afraid that he can't get anything through if he doesn't go through this incredibly compromised program."

Admitting that he was not a political practitioner, Scheiner said he felt compelled to speak out because of his unique relationship with the president and this critical moment in the health care debate.
NPR has more.

We live in a society -
"of the Government, by the Government, for the Government".
We are now slaves to A GREEDY government.

so obama's Doctor of 20 years does not like his plan because it is not Single payer Universal health care plan AND IT INVOLVES THE MIDDLE MAN, private insurance companies?

so his Doc wants true UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE....

Read the article again. It appears Scheiner wants to leave everything status quo, and that Obamacare will fail miserably, setting healthcare reform back instead of forward.

Last edited:
Read the article again. It appears Scheiner wants to leave everything status quo, and that Obamacare will fail miserably, setting healthcare reform back instead of forward.

You read it again...

In particular, focus on these two lines:

...he was disheartened by the health care legislation his former patient is championing, calling it piecemeal and ineffectual.

Scheiner added: "I think he's afraid that he can't get anything through if he doesn't go through this incredibly compromised program."

It actually appears that the doctor wants major changes...but that because of the fact that Obama's plan has needed to make so many compromises (with the opposition) and is piecemeal rather than a complete change to a single-payor system, he would prefer to leave things as is for now rather than fail.

The man Barack Obama consulted on medical matters for over two decades said on Tuesday that the president's vision for health care reform is bound for failure.

Say it isn't so! Obviously, this is a man that knows how to think for himself. Remember the old saying, "Show me a man that treats himself and I'll show you a man that has a fool for a doctor." It should be more like "Show me a doctor that treats Obama and I'll show you a doctor that has a fool for a patient!"

so obama's Doctor of 20 years does not like his plan because it is not Single payer Universal health care plan AND IT INVOLVES THE MIDDLE MAN, private insurance companies?

Too bad Obama told the Singer Payer advocates to basically drop dead. One of several examples where it's just the same ol same ol in Washington.

We don't know. Single-payer health care does not necessarily mean that the government delivers or controls health care services. It may pay for health professionals and services that are delivered in either private or public sector settings according to the needs and wishes of the patient and his or her doctor.

Too bad Obama told the Singer Payer advocates to basically drop dead. One of several examples where it's just the same ol same ol in Washington.

i know what ya mean! :(

No. Look below.

Say it isn't so! Obviously, this is a man that knows how to think for himself.

I agree with the statement, but I seriously doubt you agree with his doctor. Look below.

We don't know. Single-payer health care does not necessarily mean that the government delivers or controls health care services. It may pay for health professionals and services that are delivered in either private or public sector settings according to the needs and wishes of the patient and his or her doctor.

That is correct; in fact, in Canada the single-payer is the government, but service delivery is all private. That is the horrifying thing some like to call "socialized medice" despite the fact that... it isn't. In any case, we do know that he means government-run health care:

Obama's former doctor critical of White House health care plan - CNN.com

CNN International said:
Scheiner thinks the president's plan doesn't go far enough. In his mind, the worst part of the proposal is that "private insurers continue to be a part of the health scheme."

"Everybody keeps saying we don't want the government involved in health care," Scheiner said in an interview. "But the government is involved in Medicare, and it works."

Scheiner would rather see the nation adopt a single-payer system like the ones in Canada and Europe. The financing system relies on one "payer" -- which could be a government-run agency -- to fund all health care costs billed by doctors, hospitals and other health professionals.

The benefits, advocates say, is that pricey administrative costs are cut, resulting in large savings to patients. [...]

But Scheiner says that nobody has seen the details of [the public] option, making it a hard sell for the president.

"We don't even fully know what the public option is going to be. If the public option is too good, patients who are sick will flock to it, and I'm not sure it will be able to support itself." [...]

Last edited:
I'd suggest you guys read his interview on DemocracyNow (I know right-wingers don't find this to be a reliable source, but... It's an interview, so, if you're curious about what he really thinks, instead of just saying "HEY LOOK HIS DOCTOR THINKS THE PLAN IS BAD SO HE MUST AGREE WITH ME!" without knowing jack-shit about what he's saying):

President Obama's Longtime Physician Opposes White House Health Plan, Advocates Single Payer

Democracy Now said:
AMY GOODMAN: So, can you look—tell us about the plan that is presented by the House and whether or not you support it?

DR. DAVID SCHEINER: The problem, overwhelmingly, is the issue, in my mind, of the private insurance companies being a part of the program. Their record has been so abominable that to have them in the program just doesn’t make sense. The cost—Ezekiel Emanuel, Rahm’s brother, made a comment in the Journal of the AMA that just the administration costs of employers’ health is over $300 billion a year. And that money will still be wasted. There will probably be even more advertising. The huge CEO salaries will continue to be made. I think the head of Aetna makes $23 million a year.
Insurance companies repeatedly interfere with the care of patients. The opponents of health reform keep saying that if the government gets into medicine, you won’t have a choice of your doctor, you won’t have a choice of your hospital, your care will be restricted. I don’t know where they got that. Medicare, if anything, is too permissive. Medicare never gets in my way. But insurance companies—I have to use special labs. I have to—I can use certain hospitals for one person; I can’t use them for another. I’m repeatedly getting responses from the insurance company disallowing certain procedures, disallowing certain medications. The insurance company is in the room every time I see a patient. And somehow, the patients think they have free choice. Medicare gives them free choice. They will have their choice of doctor. They will have their choice of treatment. With private insurance, that will not be the case. It’s an extraordinary waste of money.
And the public—if I had a single point to make about what is going wrong with this health reform is that the public is so uniformed. They think somehow that they get the best care in the world. We know by health statistics we’re thirty-seventh. Even people with good health insurance don’t realize that the healthcare they get is often not appropriate. Sometimes they get unnecessary treatment. The whole issue, for example, of prostate cancer, which is an extraordinary industry today, and there’s no proof that doing anything is of any value. But, you know, if I have a patient with prostate cancer, there’s no way I would sit back, because I know the trial lawyer is also in the room watching me. That’s another issue, which—there’s no way you’re going to control costs, if you don’t get that under control also.

When Obama puts his family under any plan he dreams up, then, and only then, will I believe in the plan. I don't care how many doctors, insurance reps, or politicians say how good the plan is. Anyone who believes other than what I have just stated is a fool. Wake up people.

Yeah, I somewhat agree to back off on trial lawyers in the hunt for taking doctors to trial for malpractice, but aren't we all in the practice of giving a service to our society in some form? Think about it. If you are incompetent in any profession, and you bring harm to an individual, you should be held accountable.

Forum List

Back