Hip Hip Hooray: Roger Ebert gives 'New Moon' ONE Star

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
The Twilight Saga: New Moon :: rogerebert.com :: Reviews

The characters in this movie should be arrested for loitering with intent to moan. Never have teenagers been in greater need of a jump-start. Granted some of them are more than 100 years old, but still: their charisma is by Madame Tussaud.

Yes, Edward (Robert Pattinson) is back in school, repeating the 12th grade for the 84th time. Bella sees him in the school parking lot, walking toward her in slow-motion, wearing one of those Edwardian Beatles jackets with a velvet collar, pregnant with his beauty. How white his skin, how red his lips. The decay of middle age may transform him into the Joker.

Edward and the other members of the Cullen vampire clan stand around a lot with glowering skulks. Long pauses interrupt longer ones. Listen up, lads! You may be immortal, but we've got a train to catch.

Edward leaves, because Bella was not meant to be with him. Although he's a vegetarian vampire, when she gets a paper cut at her birthday party one of his pals leaps on her like a shark on a tuna fish.

That's only some of the best comments, I enjoyed reading him rip this movie to shreds. :lol:

My wife is still going to make me take her to see it :(

The first movie was just so awful, and then I read the books thinking they may be better than the movies. I was wrong. Stephenie Meyer is by far one of the worst writers I've ever had the displeasure of reading. She does a good job of making you interested in the end result of the book's overall plot, but the drudgery you are forced to skim through to get to the end is unbearable.

The final book is literally a buildup to a big battle between the Cullen clan and the Volturri clan, and in the end, both sides walk away. It was such a fucking waste of 400 pages. I wanted to find this daft bitch and punch her in the throat.

The first movie was just so awful, and then I read the books thinking they may be better than the movies. I was wrong. Stephenie Meyer is by far one of the worst writers I've ever had the displeasure of reading. She does a good job of making you interested in the end result of the book's overall plot, but the drudgery you are forced to skim through to get to the end is unbearable.

The final book is literally a buildup to a big battle between the Cullen clan and the Volturri clan, and in the end, both sides walk away. It was such a fucking waste of 400 pages. I wanted to find this daft bitch and punch her in the throat.

Stephen King was dead on about her writing in the first place. And nice description there Jon. :lol:

My wife is a twilight fanatic and she dragged me last night to the midnight showing.

24 theaters sold out...over 3000 people. It was stupid.

The only scene that looked remotely interesting when some dumb vampire was gonna fight 4 or 5 wolves lasted only 2 and a half seconds.

Girls ranging from ages 40-16 were screaming their heads off when the guy takes his shirt off and in the end they were all hugging and screaming together

it was one of the saddest displays I have ever seen.

I was obviously the dick making dumb comments throughout the movie getting punched from my wife.

Awful movie, awful acting

Also why are the ladies into this robert patterson guy...he has his shirt off in the movie and he is a skinny little pip squeek. I would break him in fucking half

Girls love Twilight because for a specific age range, it's like sex without the actual sex. Plus, it's the range that they can handle. For others, it's just the idea of those kind of guys I suppose. :eusa_eh:

As Ebert said:

The Twilight Saga is an extended metaphor for teen chastity, in which the punishment for being deflowered I will leave to your imagination.

And to end this post I will repeat this once again for all:

Vampires do NOT sparkle. :evil:

Robert Pattinson had the luck to be cast as Edward, THAT'S why they love him. They loved Edward before Robert was even cast in the part.

But you are absolutely right about the acting talent in this franchise. Kristen Stewart is easy to appreciate in a film like Into the Wild or Adventureland. She is 100% WRONG for the part of Bella. In the fourth book, Bella is pregnant and gives birth to a vampire baby. Kristen will butcher the motherly role that was portrayed in the book. And no, I'm not making up the vampire baby part. That's just how awful Meyer's writing is. Just wait until you hear the baby's name. (Hint, it's Renesmee, and the werewolf Jacob calls her "Nessie.") You just can't make shit that terrible up.

Last edited:
Robert Pattinson had the luck to be cast as Edward, THAT'S why they love him. They loved Edward before Robert was even cast in the part.

But you are absolutely right about the acting talent in this franchise. Kristen Stewart is easy to appreciate in a film like Into the Wild or Adventureland. She is 100% WRONG for the part of Bella. In the fourth book, Bella is pregnant and gives birth to a vampire baby. Kristen will butcher the motherly role that was portrayed in the book.

Someone call the police. Edward's a Pedo. :rofl:

kristen stewart plays the perfect white trash whore train wreck girl...ie adventureland

But you are absolutely right about the acting talent in this franchise. Kristen Stewart is easy to appreciate in a film like Into the Wild or Adventureland. She is 100% WRONG for the part of Bella. In the fourth book, Bella is pregnant and gives birth to a vampire baby. Kristen will butcher the motherly role that was portrayed in the book.

Someone call the police. Edward's a Pedo. :rofl:

It gets worse. The lore of the werewolves is that they "imprint" onto a mate, and they have no choice as to whom they imprint to. Jacob imprints on the baby the minute he sees it. It's fucking weird shit.

It gets worse. The lore of the werewolves is that they "imprint" onto a mate, and they have no choice as to whom they imprint to. Jacob imprints on the baby the minute he sees it. It's fucking weird shit.

So wait, she ends up fucking with Werewolf lore too? She should apologize to all of the people who brought those two characters to where they were for her to destroy them.

And so Jacob is technically a pedo too. No wonder she said she thought of this in her dream supposedly, it's batshit insane.

Did you actually read the books or use wikipedia?

So wait, she ends up fucking with Werewolf lore too? She should apologize to all of the people who brought those two characters to where they were for her to destroy them.

And so Jacob is technically a pedo too. No wonder she said she thought of this in her dream supposedly, it's batshit insane.

Did you actually read the books or use wikipedia?

Actually read the books. I had a weekend to kill, and like I said, she does a good job of making you interested in the end result. But the fucking stupid shit you have to read to get there is fucking awful. If I'm not really into a book, I usually speed read through it, so it only took like 3-4 hours per book. If I really like what I'm reading, I'll slow down and read every word on every page (like I do with Harry Potter or a Dan Brown book).

The lore behind the werewolves is they are descendants of a race of Indians that came into existence to protect humans from the vampires. And they change into werewolves by pack, and the members of the pack can hear each other's thoughts when they are in werewolf form. But if a member leaves the pack, the others can't hear it anymore. I mean, it's literally like this stupid bitch made this shit up as she went. Rowling spent YEARS building the lore behind Harry Potter before she put pen to paper, and that's what made it so believable. Twilight is, as you said, just batshit insane.

Twilight just went against everything that a vampire was suppose to be which is why I was never interested in the first place. If I wanted to read a good novel about a vampire, I'd read Dracula.

What I don't get is how that last book won the Children's Book Award for Book of the Year. Seriously, a childbirth scene and other fucked up shit and that's a kids book? :eusa_eh:

What I don't get is how that last book won the Children's Book Award for Book of the Year. Seriously, a childbirth scene and other fucked up shit and that's a kids book? :eusa_eh:

Not just a childbirth scene, a violent childbirth scene. Bella is not a vampire, and the pregnancy is life-threatening because the baby practically eats its way out of the womb. It grows faster than the average 9 month gestation period (think Robin Williams in Jack...), and the baby even ages faster than a normal child. By the end of the book, which is only a few weeks in the book's timeline, the child is already the equivalent of like an 8 year old kid.

Like I said, it's fucking stupid, and it's apparent Meyers did not map out her story beforehand.

my story....friend rented twight one or whatever...i fell asleep...she got all pissed....going on about how the books and movies are best sellers...i noted ...for 13 to 15 yr olds....so apparently i promised i would go to the new moon one...if she didnt wake me up...so today ....i take her to johnson city for lunch and the movie....we get there..talk about teen hell...they had cut school to go to a 1 oclock show...i figured we were safe..but no...so she bails...doesnt want to go with a bunch of teenies...but says...we can come back next week...i really needed the sleep today...o and then she goes all over for when i said i didnt care if we saw the movie or not....like my falling asleep wasnt a clue in the first one?

These brooding teen vampires are more boring than alcohol free blood.

Give me Lestat anytime.

"I can't help being a gorgeous fiend. It's just the card I drew." --Lestat

I must say it made me proud when my daughter read the first Twilight book (because her friends told her it was 'good') and she told me when done:

"Mom, that was the poorest written piece of trash I've ever read. I could be more creative with my eyes closed."

That's my girl! I wonder if she's the only 14 year old girl NOT into Twilight here in America.

Forum List

Back