Hinayana, Mahayana, Vajrayana

Sky Dancer

Rookie
Jan 21, 2009
Three main schools of Buddhist practice. Each can be further divided in 3. Many different paths of awakening.

The Buddha taught 84,000 different methods.

Is the Dalai Llama the spiritual leader in all three branches? I know Islam has three "official" branches. And the splinter group, Wahhabi sect. I studied Sufism in college.

• Banned
Is the Dalai Llama the spiritual leader in all three branches? I know Islam has three "official" branches. And the splinter group, Wahhabi sect. I studied Sufism in college.

No, it's not quite like that. The Dalai Lama is not the Pope. The three vehicles I mentioned are actually 3 of 9 yanas in Tibetan Buddhist iconography. These are methods of meditation. The Hinayana would include all Buddhist practices designed strictly for individual liberation. The Theravadin School in Southeast Asia, Burma, Vietnam, Cambodia, etc etc. would be a Hinayana School.

In Tibetan Buddhism, there are Mahayana and Vajrayana methods. Mahayana means "great vehicle", is the bodhisattva path, the path of liberation not for self alone but for all beings. Vajrayana includes the Mahayana but with other advanced methods.

There are Four Schools of Tibetan Buddhism: Nyingma, the oldest, the early translation school of which I am a member, Shakya, Gelugpa, and Kagyu are the other three schools. Each is classified according to lineage Masters. The Dalai Lama holds more than one lineage but he is only the head of the Gelugpa School.

I hope this helps.

Years ago, my counseling mentor was a Sufi. Do you like Sufi poems, Rumi, Hafiz, Mirabai? I love them.

Last edited:

No, it's not quite like that. The Dalai Lama is not the Pope. The three vehicles I mentioned are actually 3 of 9 yanas in Tibetan Buddhist iconography. These are methods of meditation. The Hinayana would include all Buddhist practices designed strictly for individual liberation. The Theravadin School in Southeast Asia, Burma, Vietnam, Cambodia, etc etc. would be a Hinayana School.

In Tibetan Buddhism, there are Mahayana and Vajrayana methods. Mahayana means "great vehicle", is the bodhisattva path, the path of liberation not for self alone but for all beings. Vajrayana includes the Mahayana but with other advanced methods.

There are Four Schools of Tibetan Buddhism: Nyingma, the oldest, the early translation school of which I am a member, Shakya, Gelugpa, and Kagyu are the other three schools. Each is classified according to lineage Masters. The Dalai Lama holds more than one lineage but he is only the head of the Gelugpa School.

I hope this helps.

Years ago, my counseling mentor was a Sufi. Do you like Sufi poems, Rumi, Hafiz, Mirabai? I love them.
Thank you. In the US, I have seen the term "Tibetan" most often, thus my knowledge is limited. Is the Dalai Llama revered by all the four schools in any manner?

• Banned

I hope this helps.

Thank you. In the US, I have seen the term "Tibetan" most often, thus my knowledge is limited. Is the Dalai Llama revered by all the four schools in any manner?

The Dalai Lama is the temporal and spiritual leader of the Tibetan people in exile. He is well loved and respected.

I need to be careful about how I discuss the Four Schools or Major Lineages. There was some sectarian conflict in the past, which the Dalai Lama has said, may have contributed to the downfall of Tibet.

Rime is the term for respecting all lineages. Mostly, these days, all Tibetan Buddhists respect all lineages.

I hope this helps.

My text with the poetry was lost in a fire in 2003. I remember learning about al-Hallaj, and Rumi. I enjoyed the poems I had, yes. The Text was MYSTICAL DIMENSIONS OF ISLAM. Annamarie Schimmel (sp.) was the instructor & author of the text.

I hope this helps.

The Dalai Lama is the temporal and spiritual leader of the Tibetan people in exile. He is well loved and respected.

I need to be careful about how I discuss the Four Schools or Major Lineages. There was some sectarian conflict in the past, which the Dalai Lama has said, may have contributed to the downfall of Tibet.

Rime is the term for respecting all lineages. Mostly, these days, all Tibetan Buddhists respect all lineages.
Thank you for all the knowledge.

• Banned

Thank you for all the knowledge.

Thank you for your sincere interest. It's rare.

I need to be careful about how I discuss the Four Schools or Major Lineages. There was some sectarian conflict in the past

Three main schools of Buddhist practice. Each can be further divided in 3. Many different paths of awakening.

So he taught 84,000 false teachings. Couldn't make his twisted mind up could he?

So he taught 84,000 false teachings. Couldn't make his twisted mind up could he?
Go find a Christian thread or someone who wants to be converted to your own narrow minded sect of whatever this is.

Forum List

Back