Hillary wants common ground with Pro-life movement

MissileMan said:
I understand your point...I've just never taken to "Don't do as I do, do as I say".

I just listen with a critical ear. You can tell pretty quickly if they speak with forked tongue or have really seen the error in thier ways.-----If people just want to write her off they have plenty of other reasons to use anyway.

Bonnie said:
I just had to jump into this.........So who would you ever listen to then?? Just curious?

My point is, that I wouldn't take financial advice from someone who had been through two bankruptcies, nor would I seek advice about relationships from someone who had been divorced five times. It's a matter of credibility. Someone who had carried her baby to term, and struggled with the decision to put it up for adoption, and who could relate how good she feels about the way she handled a bad situation would offer a stronger argument than someone who took the easy way out on two occasions.

MissileMan said:
My point is, that I wouldn't take financial advice from someone who had been through two bankruptcies, nor would I seek advice about relationships from someone who had been divorced five times. It's a matter of credibility. Someone who had carried her baby to term, and struggled with the decision to put it up for adoption, and who could relate how good she feels about the way she handled a bad situation would offer a stronger argument than someone who took the easy way out on two occasions.
Ain't nothin easy about mourning the murder of 2 children for the rest of your life

MissileMan said:

Well I have to agree with you there, It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to give too much creedence to anyone who makes an art of screwing up, that said I would also say there are many who have made mistakes and who can impart valuable wisdom thru experiencing hard knocks. I guess it's just a case by case judgement call.

dilloduck said:
Ain't nothin easy about mourning the murder of 2 children for the rest of your life

We are talking about Frauline Hillary here Dillo, Im not sure how much grief she had time to feel while she was clawing her way up the career ladder. But then again none of knows what's inside someone's mind right?

Maybe there is spark of humanity in that woman after all, I'd still be terrified if she was president though :fifty:

dilloduck said:

I can't say for certain one way or the other, but it would appear to me that she couldn't have been too upset about the first abortion, as she had the second. I guess it's possible she came to regret it later.

MissileMan said:
Having had two abortions herself, how much credibility do you think she'll have?

I would say that someone who speaks from personal experience is pretty credible. King's niece learned from her own experience that abortion is not the way to go; now she is willing to stand up and say to young girls, don't make this mistake or you will regret it, as I have come to regret my mistakes. What's not to respect about that?

Adam's Apple said:
I would say that someone who speaks from personal experience is pretty credible. King's niece learned from her own experience that abortion is not the way to go; now she is willing to stand up and say to young girls, don't make this mistake or you will regret it, as I have come to regret my mistakes. What's not to respect about that?

Absolutely. I'd say that the calm, reasoned voice of a woman who's been there, and has a broken heart because of it, would carry a lot more weight than all the hysterical recriminations in the world.

I wish dems would steal the national security issue, in all honesty. Then we'd be safe regardless of who was president, like the way it used to be.

It's a good thing Hillary is starting early. It's going to take four years to develop the "public" image she wants everyone to have of her. But like anyone else who has had "plastic" surgery, the core Hillary will still be there. She can't change her hard-left philosophy--only camouflage it.

musicman said:
Absolutely. I'd say that the calm, reasoned voice of a woman who's been there, and has a broken heart because of it, would carry a lot more weight than all the hysterical recriminations in the world.

Exactly! Who would know better about the pain and suffering a woman goes through after an abortion than a woman who has had one? She best can get someone to think about what they are going to go through FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIFE.

krisy said:
Exactly! Who would know better about the pain and suffering a woman goes through after an abortion than a woman who has had one? She best can get someone to think about what they are going to go through FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIFE.

Which is exactly what many women including actress Jennifer O'Neil and others do regularly around the country at speaking engagements, and through social service work to offer support and, alternatives to abortion.

Bonnie said:
Which is exactly what many women including actress Jennifer O'Neil and others do regularly around the country at speaking engagements, and through social service work to offer support and, alternatives to abortion.
And I'm sure that in her efforts she never resorts to telling women to be subservient.

If you notice her common ground did not effect the whole late-term abortions which she supports. Her common ground literally translated after removing all of the extemperaneous political speech is simply, "Do nothing, keep everything how it is now and talk to some of the kids about not having sex, we'll even throw you a bone and allow you to mention God." It seems like the slimmest of common ground to me.

no1tovote4 said:
If you notice her common ground did not effect the whole late-term abortions which she supports. Her common ground literally translated after removing all of the extemperaneous political speech is simply, "Do nothing, keep everything how it is now and talk to some of the kids about not having sex, we'll even throw you a bone and allow you to mention God." It seems like the slimmest of common ground to me.

Yes that pretty much sums it!! Way to cut through the guanno no1 :rock:

krisy said:
Exactly! Who would know better about the pain and suffering a woman goes through after an abortion than a woman who has had one?

Maybe a woman who has had two, or three, or eight. :rolleyes: A woman who actually chose to give birth to a child and put it up for adoption would make a better pro-life spokesman IMO. It's a "lead by example" thing that shouldn't be so hard to comprehend. If this woman weren't the niece of MLK, noone would give a crap about what she has to say.

MissileMan said:
Maybe a woman who has had two, or three, or eight. :rolleyes: A woman who actually chose to give birth to a child and put it up for adoption would make a better pro-life spokesman IMO. It's a "lead by example" thing that shouldn't be so hard to comprehend. If this woman weren't the niece of MLK, noone would give a crap about what she has to say.

As crazy as it sounds, though, a woman who did the right thing might come off as preachy. On the other hand, someone speaking the truth of her own broken heart - with no axe to grind - might actually get through.

Hil's Abort Talk Puts '08 Front and Center
By Michael Goodwin for Jewish World Review
January 27, 2005

As guessing games go, this one didn't last long. The bookies didn't even have time to set the lines on whether Hillary Clinton would or wouldn't when she suddenly fired the shot heard 'round the campaign. Hillary is running. And I don't mean just for the Senate.

Clinton's appeal on Monday for "common ground" on abortion was a perfect two-fer. On one level, it was about Roe vs. Wade. At heart, it was about her. Come together over abortion, she seemed to say, and while you're at it, look at me. I'm not so bad, I'm really a moderate. Really.

Testing. Testing. It's the new and improved Hillary, trying out some fresh material for 2008. And why not? Somebody has to be President.

Her speech to an abortion-rights group in Albany came on the 32nd anniversary of the Supreme Court's ruling that legalized abortion. She clearly saw it as the ideal moment not only to signal her intentions, but also her strategy. So she repeated her strong support for abortion rights while also praising the "influence of religious and moral values" in keeping teenage girls celibate.

Calling abortion "a sad, even tragic choice to many, many women," Clinton said, "The best way to reduce the number of abortions is to reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies in the first place."

Although Clinton has said similar things before, combining them in that setting was a classic play for the middle, or at least the appearance of the middle. Coming when Democrats are sifting through the ashes of John Kerry's defeat and trying to figure out who they want to be when they grow up, Clinton showed she's already got her own answers.

Let others get dirty in the fight over whether Howard Dean should be party boss or whether Condoleezza Rice should be secretary of state. Clinton knows what she wants and she's going for it.

That she's working under the tutelage of a master craftsman, the man who might someday be called the first President Clinton, should not be overlooked. The only Democrat since FDR to win two terms, Bill Clinton knows a thing or two about making friends and disarming enemies.

And that's what I think Hillary is up to with her abortion speech. She's not trying to win conservative votes, especially from pro-life Americans. She knows she can talk for four years about moral values and religion without winning a single vote on the religious right. To those people, she's the Lefty From Another Planet. Now and forever.

But anything that has a hint of the middle of the road could make her less threatening to swing voters in red states. Being a moderate, as she tried to seem Monday by separating herself from the party line on abortion, might do the trick.

Will it work? One savvy Dem has his doubts, saying she could be too clever by half. "There's no question she has the presidency in mind," he said. "You don't make that speech on abortion if you have a primary in New York" for the 2006 Senate reelection.

"But her problem has always been credibility, and I don't see how this kind of thing helps her," he continued. "I think these days, credibility problems are the kiss of death."

Agreed, but I would never count a Clinton out. Her teacher had major credibility problems, but he found a way around them through a strategy called triangulation. By combing elements of both liberals and conservatives, and by ticking off both sides at different times, he often ended up somewhere between the two. That made him look like just enough of a moderate to escape the liberal tag.

Here's the catch for Hillary. Bill Clinton could be so Southern-fried charming that many Americans believed he was truly conservative in some ways. That's a skill his wife is still working to acquire.

Michael Goodwin is a Pulitzer Prize-winning columnist for the NewYork Daily News.

Hillary is worse than Kerry. The only thing is, she isn't always caught publicly on her double-standards. Kerry was because he lied about something one day, then said the opposite or a different version the next. But people caught it because he was so despirate to get everyone's vote, he would slip up, and forget what he said the previous day.

Forum List

Back