Hillary still holds out hope...

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
...that maybe Obama will be assassinated!

Wow! Talk about desperation!

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (AP) — Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton quickly apologized Friday after citing the June 1968 assassination of Robert F. Kennedy in defending her decision to keep running for the Democratic presidential nomination despite increasingly long odds.

link

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5g-qGLDs-gAnZiUXD2NU51ry3j3dwD90RRRCG0

• Banned
Clinton: "We all remember Bobby Kennedy was assassinated in June in California. You know I just, I don't understand it," she said, dismissing the idea of abandoning the race.

You know, there's almost enough of this nonsense coming out now on the Dem side, to warrant believing it's being done by the Dems intentionally to give McCain the presidency.

How else can you explain the campaign irresponsibility of the Dems in the last couple months?

• Banned
You know, there's almost enough of this nonsense coming out now on the Dem side, to warrant believing it's being done by the Dems intentionally to give McCain the presidency.

How else can you explain the campaign irresponsibility of the Dems in the last couple months?

Well if it's not intentional, it's outright incompetence. Pick your poison as they say.

I'm willing to take her at her word, that she was merely refering to two occassions (1968 and 1992) when the race was still undecided in June. Even RFK Jr. admits that.

Still, it was stupid, Stupd, STUPID! The question of why she continues when no hope is in sight is the major issue facing her right now. Her case requires her to present examples when the race was actually open in June and the subsequent nominee went on the win the general election. Neither of her examples meets that criteria.

The Democratic nomination remained open in June of 1968, but we lost that year. We won in 1992, but Clinton had the nomination sewn up by April when he beat Jerry Brown in Wisconsin and crushed him in NY. He did not get to 50% of delegates until June, but the statistical certainity of his nomination in April alllowed him to begin the general election campaign at that time.

It is is that early start which she is now denying to Barack Obama.

That was the stupidest comment I have heard in a Presidential race. Hillary, take the gun out of your mouth.

Agreed. It's almost funny how Obama's campaign reacted to a remark that had absolutely nothing to do with him. They've become quite hysterical. Not to mention the arrogance of their publicly rebuking Hillary for something that wasn't a reference to him.

Agreed. It's almost funny how Obama's campaign reacted to a remark that had absolutely nothing to do with him. They've become quite hysterical. Not to mention the arrogance of their publicly rebuking Hillary for something that wasn't a reference to him.

Obama needs anything he can get to curb Hillary's momentum coming in to the last 3 contests, where she is predicted to stomp Obama. Even though Hillary's comments were unnecessary, Obama can capitalize on this comment.

I wonder how far it will go...

It's really hot outside, but as I was doing my yard work I came up with a list of things that can and cannot be discussed around Obama. Some I'm not sure about, so please weigh in.

White - most definitely not

Black - Fine

Jew - Seems to be okay since Obama was here this week talking to a large group of Jews.

Hispanic/Latino/Latina - Ditto, see above.

The month of June - seems to scare him

Long primaries - Absolutely not unless in the context of why he might not beat McCain.

RFK - NO! Someone has an inordinate fear of assassination. Other candidates don't have to worry about this because they aren't the next JFK.

JFK - Same as RFK unless Obama is comparing himself favorably to JFK, then it's okay.

Lincoln - Same as RFK unless Obama is comparing himself favorably to Lincoln, then it's okay.

Going negative - Never, because of course, Obama would never stoop to that.

Intellectual Honesty - Ditto, see above

Unity - feh!

blah blah Hillary must be defended for every stupid-ass thing she says out of abject desperation and political despondency blah blah Obama sucks donkey pole but I'm still going to vote for him blah blah I'm not bitter at all blibidy blah!

:rofl:

Actually, I'm thinking of not voting in the election now. This is close to the last straw.

It'll depend on how the house and senate shape up.

Clinton's gaff is the last straw against Obama? That makes sense. :cuckoo:

Nope, the Obama camp's hysterical reaction. They are either big fat fucking liars or dirty political hacks. She made the same analogy to long primaries back in March and no one peed their pants then.

Nope, the Obama camp's hysterical reaction. They are either big fat fucking liars or dirty political hacks. She made the same analogy to long primaries back in March and no one peed their pants then.

She referenced RFK's assassination back in March?

Link please.

She referenced RFK's assassination back in March?

Link please.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/24/us/politics/24clinton.html?_r=2&hp&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

May 24, 2008
Clinton Remark on Kennedy’s Killing Stirs Uproar
By KATHARINE Q. SEELYE...

...Friday was not the first time Mrs. Clinton referred to the assassination of Robert F. Kennedy in such a context. In March, she told Time magazine: “Primary contests used to last a lot longer. We all remember the great tragedy of Bobby Kennedy being assassinated in June in L.A. My husband didn’t wrap up the nomination in 1992 until June. Having a primary contest go through June is nothing particularly unusual.”

Robert F. Kennedy Jr., who has endorsed Mrs. Clinton, defended her remarks in a telephone interview on Friday evening.

“I’ve heard her make that argument before,” Mr. Kennedy said, speaking on his cellphone as he drove to the family compound in Hyannis Port, Mass. “It sounds like she was invoking a familiar historical circumstance in support of her argument for continuing her campaign.”

http://www.time-blog.com/swampland/2008/05/sympathy_for_hillary.html

I think that all three candidates apologized for bad comments or disassociated themselves with people who have said bad things. Of course each group of supporters will spin stuff and disbelieve what their opponents say. Pro-Hillary will say that she apologized. Anti-Hillary will say that the apology is disingenuous. Pro-McCain will say that he distanced himself from Hagee. Anti-McCain will say that he did it too slowly. Pro-Obama will say that he distanced himself from Wright’s rhetoric. Anti-Obama will say that he did not distance himself far enough.

Instead of carefully reviewing each candidate’s track record, ideas, and positions, they will be so absorbed in what I consider to be irrelevant verbal gaffes and relationships. Practically everyone will piecemeal these criticisms to the point of absurdity. I’ll just sit back and watch. Still, I think that after everything is said and done, Obama will win the presidency.

Matt, I don't totally disagree with you. I don't think Hillary should have apologized, except I guess she figured she'd hurt the tender, sensitive feelings of Obama and his supporters. It really was just historical context, kind of like me remembering the last time I went to Canada was in 2001...because it was right before 9/11. I can't imagine anyone getting offended if I said such a thing. Dogger should take over Obama's campaign...that's what the Obama campaign should have said (except the stupid, stupid bit and about denying Obama anything), not that what Hillary said had no place in a campaign. Ludicrous.

I also have a feeling that Howard Dean is about to kill any hope of party unity and McCain is going to win. Especially if Obama's campaign doesn't quit getting offended over nothing.

Forum List

Back