Hillary still holds out hope...

Discussion in 'Congress' started by manifold, May 24, 2008.

1. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,734
    ...that maybe Obama will be assassinated!

Wow! Talk about desperation!

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (AP) — Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton quickly apologized Friday after citing the June 1968 assassination of Robert F. Kennedy in defending her decision to keep running for the Democratic presidential nomination despite increasingly long odds.

link

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5g-qGLDs-gAnZiUXD2NU51ry3j3dwD90RRRCG0

2. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,734
    Clinton: "We all remember Bobby Kennedy was assassinated in June in California. You know I just, I don't understand it," she said, dismissing the idea of abandoning the race.

3. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,357
    You know, there's almost enough of this nonsense coming out now on the Dem side, to warrant believing it's being done by the Dems intentionally to give McCain the presidency.

How else can you explain the campaign irresponsibility of the Dems in the last couple months?

4. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,734
    Well if it's not intentional, it's outright incompetence. Pick your poison as they say.

5. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    Scorched earth.

6. Dogger

Dogger Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I'm willing to take her at her word, that she was merely refering to two occassions (1968 and 1992) when the race was still undecided in June. Even RFK Jr. admits that.

Still, it was stupid, Stupd, STUPID! The question of why she continues when no hope is in sight is the major issue facing her right now. Her case requires her to present examples when the race was actually open in June and the subsequent nominee went on the win the general election. Neither of her examples meets that criteria.

The Democratic nomination remained open in June of 1968, but we lost that year. We won in 1992, but Clinton had the nomination sewn up by April when he beat Jerry Brown in Wisconsin and crushed him in NY. He did not get to 50% of delegates until June, but the statistical certainity of his nomination in April alllowed him to begin the general election campaign at that time.

It is is that early start which she is now denying to Barack Obama.

7. JimH52

JimH52 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,184
    That was the stupidest comment I have heard in a Presidential race. Hillary, take the gun out of your mouth.

8. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,772
    Agreed. It's almost funny how Obama's campaign reacted to a remark that had absolutely nothing to do with him. They've become quite hysterical. Not to mention the arrogance of their publicly rebuking Hillary for something that wasn't a reference to him.

9. maneal

maneal Conservative Commentator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Obama needs anything he can get to curb Hillary's momentum coming in to the last 3 contests, where she is predicted to stomp Obama. Even though Hillary's comments were unnecessary, Obama can capitalize on this comment.

I wonder how far it will go...

10. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,772
    It's really hot outside, but as I was doing my yard work I came up with a list of things that can and cannot be discussed around Obama. Some I'm not sure about, so please weigh in.

White - most definitely not

Black - Fine

Jew - Seems to be okay since Obama was here this week talking to a large group of Jews.

Hispanic/Latino/Latina - Ditto, see above.

The month of June - seems to scare him

Long primaries - Absolutely not unless in the context of why he might not beat McCain.

RFK - NO! Someone has an inordinate fear of assassination. Other candidates don't have to worry about this because they aren't the next JFK.

JFK - Same as RFK unless Obama is comparing himself favorably to JFK, then it's okay.

Lincoln - Same as RFK unless Obama is comparing himself favorably to Lincoln, then it's okay.

Going negative - Never, because of course, Obama would never stoop to that.

Intellectual Honesty - Ditto, see above

Unity - feh!