Hillary Makes Her Dastardly Move

This is what we get when Bush caves on an issue. Originally he didn't want the Dept of Homeland Security and the boondoggle it has become, he caved, FEMA is part of the moster bureaucracy now. It would be interesting to see if she could get traction for that plan. The Rs could simply say, okay, let's do it and it would be a moot point before she got to use it to run.

no1tovote4 said:
This is what we get when Bush caves on an issue. Originally he didn't want the Dept of Homeland Security and the boondoggle it has become, he caved, FEMA is part of the moster bureaucracy now. It would be interesting to see if she could get traction for that plan. The Rs could simply say, okay, let's do it and it would be a moot point before she got to use it to run.

Bingo--I think this is part of the bill that she originally pushed to unite them.

In October 2002
Senate Prepares First Responder Initiative For Floor
The First Responder Terrorism Preparedness Act of 2002, which would authorize close to $3.5 billion for each fiscal year from 2003 through 2006 to help first responders in their homeland security work, was placed on the Senate calendar October 1 after the bill’s report was filed.

The bill is similar to the president’s proposal; however, it contains a number of additional amendments. The final bill included three amendments sponsored by Senator Hillary Clinton, D-NY, including amendments that would provide outreach, education, protection and monitoring of the health and safety of first responders exposed to harmful substances in the wake of the a disaster; require states receiving federal assistance for the benefit of first responders to provide any aid destined for local governments no later than 45 days after receipt and; require FEMA and the Attorney General to work together in identifying any possible involvement of the COPS program in preparing first responders to deal with terrorism threats. Additionally, the bill authorizes assistance to the Urban Search and Rescue Task Forces.

In the report authored by Senators Jim Jeffords, I-VT, and Bob Smith, R-NH, Senate Rpt.107-295, first responders are defined “as fire, emergency medical service, law enforcement personnel and other personnel as identified by the Director of FEMA.” It outlines the goals of the Office of National Preparedness (ONP) to coordinate and build viable terrorism preparedness and response capability at all levels of government. A FEMA officer or employee in each of FEMA's ten regions would serve as the ONP contact for the states and local governments in that region.

The ONP is also charged with establishing a program to provide assistance to enhance the ability of state and local first responders to respond to incidents of terrorism, including incidents involving weapons of mass destruction, and “requires that not less than 75 percent of the assistance granted each State be provided to local governments and entities within the State.”

The report also cited the possibility of use of weapons of mass destruction and the events of September 11 as reasons for a necessary federal role “to clarify and consolidate the authority of the Federal Emergency Management Agency to support first responders.” FEMA becomes responsible for creating standards and guidelines for preparedness and response at all levels of government and coordinating those same parties under the authority of this legislation. A special emphasis in the report is on the establishment of standards for “a national, interoperable emergency communications and warning system” and training standards for first responders. The report goes on to declare that the federal share of the above costs to implement the goals above cannot be less than 75 percent in the form of grants.

The grants could be used to purchase interoperable equipment necessary to respond to incidents of terrorism; to train first responders; to develop, construct, or upgrade terrorism preparedness training facilities; to develop, construct, or upgrade emergency operating centers; to develop preparedness and response plans; to provide systems and equipment to meet communication needs, such as emergency notification systems, interoperable equipment, and secure communication equipment; to conduct exercises; and shall not be used to provide compensation to first responders (including payment for overtime).

States would receive a base amount of $15,000,000 and an additional amount based on population, vital infrastructure, and proximity to international borders. It is unclear when this measure will be brought to the floor
http://www.natat.org/natat/WASH_REPORT_ISSUES/2002 Wash Reports/washrepoctober2002.htm

Bold is my editing

So she's coming out of the closet that she's a flip-flopper then. Dang, no better way to help out the opposition than to contradict yourself...

no1tovote4 said:
So she's coming out of the closet that she's a flip-flopper then. Dang, no better way to help out the opposition than to contradict yourself...

Big time---I'm not sure if my first link is the one I was looking for but she definately pushed for FEMAs' inclusion in the Homeland Security Act.

Flip -Flopping didnt work real well for Kerry.

When Chertoff last faced Senate confirmation as a judicial nominee, the only senator who voted against him was Democrat Hillary Rodham Clinton. During the Senate investigation of the failed Whitewater land deal, Chertoff aggressively pursued the Clintons as counsel to then-Senator Alphonse D'Amato, Republican of New York.

http://www.fourwinds10.com/news/05-...sh-picks-judge-to-head-homeland-security.html

How much BS is this ????

Undermining FEMA -- and the Nation
By Ivo Daalder | bio
It is now clear that the decision to merge FEMA into the Department of Homeland Security was a disaster. What once had been one of the most effective agencies of the US government was shorn of talented leadership, deprived of adequate resources, and diverted from its primary mission. The results have been painfully apparent to everyone -- none more so than the people of New Orleans.
Responsibility for this fateful decision, however, is not Bush's alone. Long before the administration proposed merging FEMA into a new Department of Homeland Security, others had urged this step on the administration. Even before 9/11, the Hart-Rudman Commission suggested the need to incorporate FEMA into a new National Security Homeland Security Agency and after 9/11 it was Democrats who took up the call to create a new department that would have FEMA as one of its core elements.

Even at the time, some of us argued against doing so -- because, among other reasons, it would weaken FEMA's ability to respond to disasters like major hurricanes. It's worth rereading those arguments -- if only to underscore again the need for a separate, cabinet-level agency that would have national preparedness and response to disasters of all kinds its overriding mission. The people of New Orleans -- the people of America -- deserve nothing less.

http://www.tpmcafe.com/story/2005/9/4/15929/12299

dilloduck said:
When Chertoff last faced Senate confirmation as a judicial nominee, the only senator who voted against him was Democrat Hillary Rodham Clinton. During the Senate investigation of the failed Whitewater land deal, Chertoff aggressively pursued the Clintons as counsel to then-Senator Alphonse D'Amato, Republican of New York.

http://www.fourwinds10.com/news/05-...sh-picks-judge-to-head-homeland-security.html

How much BS is this ????

No wonder Clinton wants to go after Homeland security----Chertoff was after her ass in Whitewater and she wants PAYBACK.

Is it just me or is the Bush Administration just giving people jobs out of nowhere. I dunno, maybe I'm wrong but I've just seen him assigning people all these new jobs out of nowhere the past couple of months, and all these people seem to someone that the American public doesn't like.

What's the deal?

USMCDevilDog said:
Is it just me or is the Bush Administration just giving people jobs out of nowhere. I dunno, maybe I'm wrong but I've just seen him assigning people all these new jobs out of nowhere the past couple of months, and all these people seem to someone that the American public doesn't like.

What's the deal?

There was great public demand for the dept of homeland security to be created. They have to get someone to run the damn thing---the Dems are gonna bitch about ANYONE Bush hires.

here she comes, will she overplay her hand already?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9230378/

By Howard Fineman
MSNBC contributor
Updated: 7:22 p.m. ET Sept. 6, 2005

WASHINGTON - Hillary Clinton was on the line and out for blood. Ever since she was elected in 2000, and especially since 9/11, the junior senator from New York has been careful not to move too quickly onto the national political stage (which she knows she can dominate any time she wants to). Instead, she has diligently — and shrewdly — stuck to the discrete concerns of the Empire State, preferring to worry aloud about, say, Buffalo, rather than Baghdad. But Hurricane Katrina has thrown Hillary's caution to the wind: she's decided to made a federal case out of this one.

What Sen. Clinton said to reporters in the conference call I just listened to — that FEMA should be separated from the Department of Homeland Security; that we need a 9/11-style investigative commission — is less interesting than why she said it, and why she said it now.

The answers go beyond the obvious fact that President Bush is in an enfeebled state, entering the sixth year of his presidency hobbled by suspicously skyrocketing gasoline prices and the Mesopotamian Morass.
Continue Article @ Link

You mean, "worry about Brooklyn, rather than Baghdad".... she is terrible when it comes to Upstate New York....

Few people that I know like her (including Democrats, women and otherwise liberals!).....

She made the promise of getting 200,000 jobs in the Upstate Region during her 2000 campaign, that hasn't happened. To be fair, NO politician has the power to do that, job creation is the function of the PRIVATE not the PUBLIC sector. But to make a promise that she either knows she can't deliver on, or doesn't have enough sense to realize she can't deliver on makes her a poor choice for Senator.

Thanks to decades of tax and spend liberal policies, Upstate New York is becoming the world's largest national park (i.e. no one lives here but the deer and the squirrels). If Hurricane Katrina had hit, say, Binghamton, New York rather than New Orleans, there wouldn't be much difference before and after.

Most people know why Hillary Clinton is our Senator, she is just carpet bagging it while she waits for 2008 and her run for the presidency. Of course, the Republican Party in our state is in an abysmal state. Gov George Pataki and the Republicans in the Senate and Assembly haven't provided the leadership needed to turn New York State (and especially Upstate New York) around.

I'm starting to see the logic of some of my fellow New Yorkers to cut this state in two, with New York City and Upstate as two separate entities. I would go further and move the capital out of Albany......

Forum List

Back