Hillarious video about academic hoax highlighting problems in modern Science

RandomPoster

Platinum Member
May 22, 2017
This video is funny as hell:

Here's a link to an article that responds to the hoax and brings up an accusation of a double standard in how Sokal and now these three professors have attacked left wing Social Science journals, except not pranked journals in the hard sciences. It does bring up a point that this type of bad faith might result in scholars in scientific fields such as Gender Studies, Sociology, Ethnic Studies, etc. retaliating by submitting hoax articles to journals in the Physical sciences such Physics or perhaps publishing bogus Math papers to mock Mathematicians if they can trick the Mathematicians into publishing them as genuine papers. Would this be good in the sense of keeping everyone honest or simply result in pointless bickering?

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/virginiahughes/grievance-studies-sokal-hoax

"They set out from the get-go to prank these disciplines but not others."

What immediate defence is there in any science discipline against made up data fraud?

What immediate defence is there in any science discipline against made up data fraud?

I think the main aspect of the hoax was made up, non-verifiable concepts such as dog parks reinforcing rape culture or the suggestion that males should be subjected to anal probing with sex toys to get them in touch with their feminine side, so as to make them more accepting of feminism. When you're dealing with hypotheses like those, no rational, intelligent person cares about your "data" or whether it's falsified or not.

Last edited:
The point I was trying to make is that we might see situations such as the following. Imagine scientists from fields such as Gender Studies submit a paper on how pi and e are actually interchangeable when it comes to fluid mechanic calculations because the fluidity and complex turbulence involved remove the limitations of the rigidly defined laws associated with classic NewtonIan mechanics. The Physicists and Mathematicians assigned to review the article are only given a few months to asses the validity of the paper because of time pressure. They publish the article, and then the perpetrators of the hoax childishy mock them. Doesn't that seem harsh and non-productive?

I think the main aspect of the hoax was made up, non-verifiable concepts
Made up data supporting 'concepts' was used fraudulently in the purported research. Ffs.

I understand your concern with the integrity of the data. Was the intriguing question of whether or not dog parks cause rape culture simply not investigated with the appropriate intellectual rigor in your opinion?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back