Hiking backpacks?

Here's one I'm considering, I keep coming back to it, and it's not the price...

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/CUSCUS-6200ci-Internal-Backpack-Hiking/dp/B0010YFO6U/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top]Amazon.com: NEW CUSCUS 6200ci Internal Frame Backpack Hiking Camp Travel Bag Navy: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

I've driven up to the top of Pikes peak twice when I was young and in excellent shape. Both times I had a constant headache and could only walk about 20 feet before having to rest. It was worse the second time because I was home visiting from Virginia and drove my wife up to see it. The views are incredible and well worth it.

if you drive up a mountain that high, you are looking for trouble.

your body has no time to adapt.

I want to avoid the whole high altitude sickness/compression chamber/heart and brain edema thing if at all possible....

My guy hiked to base camp at Everest. From what he's told me, it's a really gradual hike with tea houses all the way up, the trails aren't steep, and they zigzag back and forth. He just climbed Mt. Fuji last week (which he said kicked his ass).

We hiked in Denali National Park last summer and climbed up to around 8,000 feet, which was fun (not on Denali, though). Above that, though, there was snow, and I hate snow. I wouldn't mind trekking in Nepal and getting to the base camp on Everest, but I have no desire to haul my middle-aged butt over 5,000 feet of snow and ice.

We have permits to do this trail next week:

http://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisit/royal-basin.htm

Last edited:
Holy crap, no way! I could build a fucking house for that, or buy a camper trailer at least!

Here's what I want to start working on:
Pacific Crest Trail Association - Home
I

Are you doing overnights? Day hikes? Week treks?

I want to at least one overnight/2 nights by the end of the season. So I want a pack I can do that with. No weeks this year, I would like to eventually...I want to eventually to do station to station, I would like eto be able to hit it for a week...but not this year, probably. I wouldn't feel comfortable taking the kids for a week. So I want something that will work for that. I really, really like the way the odyssey looks but I'm continuing to look. I also like the standard alice...though it seems a little heavy. I have some issues with my back, nothing major but I really do want something that will reduce as much strain as possible, particularly this season. It would be a drag to be miles form nowhere and get a spasm. I like the ALICE packs as far as practicality, but I'm concerned they are ultimately designed for men, and as such won't work quite right with my shoulders...

So what I think is I'll get the pack I want, and get used to wearing it, before adding much gear to it. I need to get one that will work as I work my way up in miles, because if I switch I have to start all over with getting used to it.

So I'm looking at one two nighter probably sometime at the very beginning of October. That's my answer I think. And I'm looking at the Pacific Crest Trail. I don't know what leg yet...probably right around the Bridge of the Gods, since that's really close.

I have moderate back and neck issues and find I can handle the medium Alice quite well with the frame but yes, it's primarily designed for a man. Whatever you decide on you can still wear a Molle vest under it to distribute some of the weight up to the front by adding medium to large Molle pouches to place some of the more frequently used items in. By doing that you can use a smaller pack and hold off on buying the big pack for later, use your extra money for good boots.

ok so leaning towards Alice again...

I don't know what your $ situation is but if you can afford to, get a medium Alice with frame, load it as you would when hiking and wear it one day around the yard then wear it another day without the frame. If it doesn't work for you then you're not out a lot of money and you can probably get at least $20 to $30 back out of it at a yard sale.

Allie:

282088_10150304323091096_626271095_9618141_2311596_n.jpg

Pic from our hiking trip in the Olympic Peninsula. That's Royal Lake, elevation 5200 feet. GORGEOUS TRAIL.

Someone gave me a suggestion for a good ergonomic backpack, but I can't find it.

I want one that will not cause my back to spasm, if possible. Probably an internal frame....

Also, do they make hiker's backpacks for kids?

When we hike, husband carries pack. I've been on 2 backpack trips, both of which were miserable. If I was meant to carry gear on my back, I'd have been born a mule. I wasn't. No thanks. Hubby still carries in addition to his climbing packs, his Sacs Millett that he got at REI about 40 years ago. had it repaired recently and the young whippersnapper who took it never heard of it.

Forum List

Back