Highspeed Internet

Gungnir

Apr 29, 2008
If you get a Highspeed service to a house that has multiple computers, do the computers need to be networked or passed through a single router to use the Internet?

Is it like a regular dial up where each computer just need a plug?

get a router and a bunch of cat5 cables OR wireless network cards.

Get yourself a wireless router. Otherwise you will have cables everywhere if you want to use the connection with different computers.

I like my cables. Do they sell premade Cat 5 cables (I think they need the 8P8C jack) or do I need to brushup on my wiring skills?

Do I need a router or can I just plug each computer in separately?

Last edited:
I like my cables. Do they sell premade Cat 5 cables (I think they need the 8P8C jack) or do I need to brushup on my wiring skills?

I got a ADSL modem and a router from my provider. It depends on your provider if they send you a router that supports more then one cable.

So why do normal telephone lines not need one?

Thanks for the answers.

So why do normal telephone lines not need one?

Thanks for the answers.

Different type of carrier and set up. You would have to ask a cable expert, all I know is I could not get them to run more than one hard point in my house and was told I needed a means to split the signal.

The only other solution was to buy a second line of cable and find some way to have them string it separate into the house. That too was NOT an option. I know I tried.

By means of the Router, can I view what another connected computer is doing?

yes, they make premade cat5s or you can get a spool and make your own lengths.

yes, youll need a router.

By means of the Router, can I view what another connected computer is doing?

what are you afraid of?

lol

If you use wireless...be careful. I've stumbled on others itunes folders and other stuff.

but I'm an honest and ethical man.

8)

That someone will get a sneak at my CAD designs for my Cold Fusion powered Dean Drive.

If you're going to split the incoming signal, you'll need a router.

No, you cannot see what the others are doing.

I'm using a Linksys router.

No problems with it for the last six or seven years, FYI.

Forum List

Back