Highschool teacher could face discipline for allegedly calling her students chocolate

Sunni Man

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2008
Patriotic American Muslim
A reading teacher at Blanche Ely High School in Pompano Beach has been accused of screaming at a Haitian student in her class last year, telling him to shut up and calling him a "little chocolate boy" and a "chocolate that nobody wanted."

According to the district, Leslie Rainer, 46, of Deerfield Beach, has been spoken to twice before about her remarks to minority students, including an incident in which she allegedly told a student, "I wish they would put you in a boat and send you back where you came from."

In the most recent incident, a student recorded video of Rainer telling him, "You got one time, Chocolate."

Superintendent Robert Runcie has recommended that Rainer be suspended without pay for three days and be required to attend diversity training. The Broward County School Board will consider her case Tuesday.

Rainer, who has been teaching for 22 years, said she plans to fight the case against her.

She denied making most of the comments and said her use of "chocolate" was taken out of context. She said "chocolate" is an endearment in the black community. She said her husband, the Rev. Willie Rainer of Hopewell Missionary Baptist Church in Pompano Beach, calls her "Sweet Chocolate."

"I have never, nor will I ever, offend a child. I have nothing against Haitians, Italians or whoever else," she said. "This is a made-up, false accusation."

Asked about the video, Rainer said students are not allowed to use electronics in class and the video should not be used against her. But she said her comments, allegedly caught on the video, were not as stated in the complaint against her.

She said she was literally referring to chocolate — a candy bar on her desk. Instead of "You got one time, Chocolate," she said her statement was "that one chocolate."

Reached at her home Friday, Rodriguez declined to comment. Johnson could not be reached for comment, despite a request made to the district.

Rainer said she's a good person and a good teacher.

"I'm not the monster that they tried to make me out to be," she said.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/education/fl-broward-teacher-discipline-20120203,0,4225404.story

It's a pity that teacher's can't be fired on the spot like the rest of us.
Or beaten within an inch of their lives.

My daughter is mixed race, and if a teacher said anything remotely like that to her ... I shudder to think what would happen. :mad:

Can someone explain to me what "diversity training" entails? Or is it just another meaningless condition upon which this teacher's job now hinges upon?

If you are white.

Diversity Training means you are to confess that your race is responsible for all of the evils of the world; both past and present.

And learn self loathing for anything or anyone who is "white".

But celebrate everything about other races as wonderful and unique.

The incident sprang from a discussion in Rodriguez's class. Rodriguez told her students she is an atheist, which prompted one of the students to joke that "somebody needs to sprinkle her with some holy water," according to the Miami Herald.

This sounds more like a school out of control, and is a troubling indictment of Broward County schools, not just the teacher.

That some employees can be ‘fired on the spot’ doesn’t justify the action, and the teacher is entitled to some form of due process before disciplinary action or termination.

That some employees can be ‘fired on the spot’ doesn’t justify the action, and the teacher is entitled to some form of due process before disciplinary action or termination.
I'm not a big fan of the idea that teachers have a property interest in their jobs, either.

The incident sprang from a discussion in Rodriguez's class. Rodriguez told her students she is an atheist, which prompted one of the students to joke that "somebody needs to sprinkle her with some holy water," according to the Miami Herald.

This sounds more like a school out of control, and is a troubling indictment of Broward County schools, not just the teacher.

Yep.

I would wager that most people who read the title of the thread assumed that the teacher was white.

Because in today's PC world only whites can be racist. :doubt:
Speaking only for myself, I assumed the teacher was a jackass.

Looks like I was right.

I am having difficulty dredging up any sympathy for the high school student who was traumatized by hearing the word "chocolate" used in reference to him.

Most teenagers today, regardless of race, sling the word "******" around and towards each other all day long.

You hear them saying it at the mall; on the sidewalks as you walk by; just about everywhere teen's congregate.

Would it make a difference if the teacher was black? I don't know, but teachers should not belittle students with any type of name calling.

But she deserves due process. In the private sector, employees in good standing do not get "fired on the spot" for a stupid comment after 22 years. That would be insane.

Oh, she'll get due process all right thanks to the Union.

Education Action Group has produced an eye-opening chart illustrating the torturous, time-consuming and expensive process New Jersey schools must follow when attempting to fire a tenured teacher for “inefficiency, incapacity, conduct unbecoming or other just cause.”
http://www.publicschoolspending.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/New-Jersey-Tenure-chart.pdf

Granted, the chart pertains to NJ, but the process is similar most everywhere.

Oh, she'll get due process all right thanks to the Union.

Education Action Group has produced an eye-opening chart illustrating the torturous, time-consuming and expensive process New Jersey schools must follow when attempting to fire a tenured teacher for “inefficiency, incapacity, conduct unbecoming or other just cause.”
http://www.publicschoolspending.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/New-Jersey-Tenure-chart.pdf

Granted, the chart pertains to NJ, but the process is similar most everywhere.
And then they get "punished" like this in some states:

Geezer teach in rubber room 13 years - NYPOST.com

Fortunately the state is doing away with them and sending the miscreants to go do clerical work instead. But it still beats being fired, which they should be.

Anyone who has sense enough to teach high school has sense enough not to.

If you are white.

Diversity Training means you are to confess that your race is responsible for all of the evils of the world; both past and present.

And learn self loathing for anything or anyone who is "white".

But celebrate everything about other races as wonderful and unique.

Oh look more people trying to lay white guilt of us.lol Stop blaming the white man for other races shortcomings, It isn't our fault when you don't succeed.

Forum List

Back