Highest Paid Hollywood Actors 2005

Adam's Apple said:
Don't take this as a put-down, but the list is of HIGHEST PAID Hollywood actors/actresses for 2005, not TOP ACTORS. Will Ferrell was probably in a lot of films last year to account for his earning more money. I had a hard time believing that Tobey Maguire made more money last year than Tom Cruise or Denzil Washington, but evidently he did.

I guess my point is that the BEST actors should also be the HIGHEST PAID.

I grew up in suburban NJ and SC, and I wouldn't say I related to Seinfeld per se, but I will say that I think the characters on Seinfeld were probably some of the most realistic on any sitcom ever.

I like ELR, too, I just don't think of it as being the same cultural phenomenon as Seinfeld or Friends. Speaking of which, I used to like Friends, but somewhere along the line, I startede hating it.

Nuc said:
Do you think Will Smith and Denzel Washington got where they are through affirmative action?

Somehow I don't think that's what drives the entertainment industry.

That's not what I meant.

Shaggy said:

Agreed, but I guess there are just not that many good scripts available to keep the BEST actors working year after year.

Shaggy said:

That's not how the entertainment industry works. It runs on money. Anything good that gets made is incidental, just something that fell through the cracks. Just like in a political democracy we get the government we deserve, in a cultural democracy we get the movies, books, music, we deserve.

Abbey Normal said:
Good points, Fuzzy. ELR has a much broader age appeal than Friends. Not sure where Seinfeld fits in to that equation. I always enjoyed it, but then I grew up in NYC. I always wondered how people in rural areas, etc., would relate to it.
that's the thing, i couldn't. granted, I am only 22 miles north of Minneapolis, so its not like i am out in the boonies.

I actually think shows like Friends, Seinfeld, and Sex in the City were less like real life to me, because I had never lived in a big city, never cared to, I am married and was engaged by my senior year in HS, and I actually found most of the characters on those shows to be very shallow and neurotic-not something I found funny in the least. The situations had to do with them sleeping around or with each other and having dating problems, which mostly are attributed to their shallow and neurotic natures. The characters on ELR at least have a more personal, less shallow and neurotic personalities.

• Thanks
Reactions: Nuc
Shaggy said:
If the best actors were only the highest paid, then Will Ferrell would not be number 1. Johnny Depp would likely be #1, at least IMO, Denzel would be higher up, and Mel Gibson would actually BE on the list. Gary Sinise and Gary Oldman would also be up there, as would many more talented actors.

Abbey Normal said:
One viewing of Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible should have been enough to convince you that's never going to happen. :smoke:

I guess this is really a subjective topic. I personally liked the Mission Impossible movies and look forward to seeing Mission Impossible 3 when it is released this summer.

I've always thought the ticket to Tom Cruise's popularity as a movie star was his looks. I don't think he has outstanding acting ability, although I liked him a lot in Collateral.

Adam's Apple said:
I guess this is really a subjective topic. I personally liked the Mission Impossible movies and look forward to seeing Mission Impossible 3 when it is released this summer.

I've always thought the ticket to Tom Cruise's popularity as a movie star was his looks. I don't think he has outstanding acting ability, although I liked him a lot in Collateral.
well, unless he is unopposed to surgery, when his looks go, so will the script offers.

I like many of the movies he has been in, but not because Cruise himself is in them. It was usually because the storyline or movie subject peaked my interests, or other actors made the film better.

fuzzykitten99 said:
well, unless he is unopposed to surgery, when his looks go, so will the script offers.

I'll bet he will elect to use all the help available to him. He could not make that kind of money or live his lifestyle in any other occupation.

I like many of the movies he has been in, but not because Cruise himself is in them. It was usually because the storyline or movie subject peaked my interests...

Same here.

I'll bet he will elect to use all the help available to him. He could not make that kind of money or live his lifestyle in any other occupation.

But Scientologists are opposed to plastic surgery. It'll be quite a conundrum for him.

Dan said:
But Scientologists are opposed to plastic surgery. It'll be quite a conundrum for him.

i was gonna post something about that as well, knowing that TC already is bi-polar, and has since lost his mind in following the scientology cult.

no Tom Cruise=no big loss for the rest of the US, only Hollyweird and the few who still think he's cool

Prior to the whole Scientology thing, I had no big hangup about Tom Cruise. Yeah, he acted a little gay from time to time, but I didn't think he was any better or worse an actor than the majority of actors (although he did kick ass in Born on the Fourth of July).

But, now I can't stand the guy at all. And it's weird, because I make a point to separate people's private lives from their movies or music or whatever. Hell, I've given Michael Moore the benefit of the doubt three times now. But, Tom... I don't know. First of all, there's no doubt in my mind that he is behind all the trouble CC's been having with the Scientology episode of South Park. And, on top of that, his persona in interviews now is just beyond irritating.... scary, is what it is. If you paid me $100, I would not want to be in the same room as Tom Cruise. And then, on top of everything else, Scientology is just retarded. Seriously, I've got no problem with any religion, as long as it's not promoting hate, but are you kidding me? If these celebrities are not using Scientology as a social status (which I think some of them probably are), then they are seriously insane. Like, more insane than Muslim and Christian extremists combined. At least those people have solid facts to base their beliefs on. Scientologists have alien stories told by the writer of Battlefield Earth to base their beliefs on. So stupid.

That was way more of a rant than I meant for it to be, sorry.

Dan said:
First of all, there's no doubt in my mind that he is behind all the trouble CC's been having with the Scientology episode of South Park.
He is behind it. Tom Cruise threatened to not do publicity for MI-3 if CC aired the episode. This is because the production company for South Park is the same for MI-3. Guess they thought TC's influence was worth more to them... :bong420:

Forum List

Back