Higher Education Bill in Congress - PASSED

American Horse

AKA "Mustang"
Jan 23, 2009
The Hoosier Heartland
Why would the Democrat majority in the house of representatives want virtually all persons needing financial aid for a college education have to go to the government to get that financial aid?

Beyond the obvious, patron/client relationship which that situation promotes, are there any other outcomes, like influencing educational priorities, choices, and the selection of career fields by applicants....or even a government bureaucracy (part of the Party of Government) deciding who will get such aid in the future?

Obama Plans Government Takeover of Student Loans - WSJ.com

QUOTE:
“The furor over President Obama's trillion-dollar restructuring of American health care has left his [OTHER] trillion-dollar plan starved for attention.

That's how much the federal balance sheet will expand over the next decade if Mr. Obama can convince Congress to approve his pending takeover of the student-loan market.

The Obama plan calls for the U.S. Department of Education to move from its current 20% share of the student-loan origination market to 80% on July 1, 2010, when private lenders will be barred from making government-guaranteed loans. The remaining 20% of the market that is now completely private will likely shrink further as lenders try to comply with regulations Congress created last year. Starting next summer, taxpayers will have to put up roughly $100 billion per year to lend to students.”
<SNIP>
&#8220;It's not a popular idea on campus. Loans directly from the feds have been available for decades, but the government's poor customer service has resulted in most borrowers choosing private lenders.&#8221;

Student Aid and Fiscal Responsibility Act - PDF

This bill has been passed in the House on a roll call vote (Aye D-247-D R-6; No D-4 R-167). The bill now goes on to be voted on in the Senate. Keep in mind that debate may be taking place on a companion bill in the Senate, rather than on this particular bill.

Last edited:
Government has no business doing this shit either.
Seeing you are from Florida, and there were several Floriday "outliers" in the House vote, here they are:

Republican Aye votes: Vern Buchman FL, Anh Cao LA, Timothy Johnson IL, Thomas Petri WI, Todd Platts PA, Ileana Ros-Lehtinen FL;

Democrat No votes: Allen Boyd FL, Stephanie Herseth Sandlin SD, Paul Kanjorski PA, Michael McMahon NY

Last edited:
that's the power of the obamalama now he gets to tell students what they shall study for how long what career they will seek and how much free "community organizing" they will do. wink.

I agree. I'm sick of education. We want our children uneducated. Who needs it? Can a Republican name a single good thing that ever came from education?

that's the power of the obamalama now he gets to tell students what they shall study for how long what career they will seek and how much free "community organizing" they will do. wink.

And after their education? The young ones who go into whatever workforce is left, and they have to look foward to Obama and his Czars telling them what they can be paid.

Huzzah! ;)

I agree. I'm sick of education. We want our children uneducated. Who needs it? Can a Republican name a single good thing that ever came from education?

Prior to 1914 education was PRIVATELY operated and financed. Were the children less educated back then?!?!?!?

And if you can not afford to educate the children think about using condoms.

Prior to 1914 education was PRIVATELY operated and financed. Were the children less educated back then?!?!?!?

And if you can not afford to educate the children think about using condoms.

Bottom line. :clap2:

Government has no business doing this shit either.
Seeing you are from Florida, and there were several Floriday "outliers" in the House vote, here they are:

Republican Aye votes: Vern Buchman FL, Anh Cao LA, Timothy Johnson IL, Thomas Petri WI, Todd Platts PA, Ileana Ros-Lehtinen FL;

Democrat No votes: Allen Boyd FL, Stephanie Herseth Sandlin SD, Paul Kanjorski PA, Michael McMahon NY

Thanks. I consider myself 'advised'.

An educated public makes a better informed electorate.

That is what the anti-government libertaratoids fear most. They fear those who think, who realize the libertaratoid philosophy says basically "screw anybody who is not me, I have no responsibility whatsoever for my fellow human being." Yeah, I would be afraid of being found out, too, you wingnuts if I were you.

It is indeed strange the tangents some of us launch into; this is tongue in cheek...right?

Not when it comes to republicans. Christian colleges have historically been ranked the lowest in the nation. Christian leaders have complained that to be accredited, they must teach at least a token course in "evolution".

The Bush administration peppered the Justice Department with crappy grads from those schools replacing the actual qualified which resulted in scandal after scandal.

Normally, when a new president comes in, he replaces many members of the Justice Department with people he can trust. THEN HE LEAVES THEM ALONE. Bush, illegally (God, that word seemed to follow him constantly) replaced them because he wanted them to go after Democrats. Not legal. Christians have shown themselves to be far from scrupulous as this last administration demonstrates. And which they still demonstrate with all this talk of murder and secession. That is what we refer to as "traitor".

Scandal puts spotlight on Christian law school - The Boston Globe

The graduate from Regent -- which is ranked a "tier four" school by US News & World Report, the lowest score and essentially a tie for 136th place -- was not the only lawyer with modest credentials to be hired by the Civil Rights Division after the administration imposed greater political control over career hiring.

-----------------
One third-year student, Chamie Riley , said she rejected the idea that any government official who invokes her Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination could be a good representative of Regent.

As Christians, she said, Regent students know "you should be morally upright. You should not be in a situation where you have to plead the Fifth." (and yet they were Chamie, they were)

An educated public makes a better informed electorate..

I agree with you 1000% that an educated public makes a better informed electorate.

Unfortunately, that will not occur in a government financed and controlled school.

"Every politically controlled educational system will inculcate the doctrine of state supremacy sooner or later. . . . Once that doctrine has been accepted, it becomes an almost superhuman task to break the stranglehold of the political power over the life of the citizen. It has had his body, property and mind in its clutches from infancy. An octopus would sooner release its prey. A tax-supported, compulsory educational system is the complete model of the totalitarian state. "–Isabel Paterson, The God of the Machine (1943)

An educated public makes a better informed electorate..

I agree with you 1000% that an educated public makes a better informed electorate.

Unfortunately, that will not occur in a government financed and controlled school.

"Every politically controlled educational system will inculcate the doctrine of state supremacy sooner or later. . . . Once that doctrine has been accepted, it becomes an almost superhuman task to break the stranglehold of the political power over the life of the citizen. It has had his body, property and mind in its clutches from infancy. An octopus would sooner release its prey. A tax-supported, compulsory educational system is the complete model of the totalitarian state. "–Isabel Paterson, The God of the Machine (1943)

Christian colleges aren't "government financed" and they are mostly the lowest quality in the nation - tier four.

What you are saying is not really your "concern". You are saying, "Those liberal elites want to turn our children into communists and teach evolution", right? Did I get it right?

If the schools are "controlled" then it's only a matter of time before we are all "controlled". Oh, panic, fear, running with hands wildly waving, HEEEELP!!! WE'RE CONTOOOOOLED!

I get so sick of this crap. Seriously.

Poor people actually getting an education to overthrow the rich??? How dare they do that to the awesome rich people :cuckoo: /end sarcasm

But I got federal grants and loans and I have gotten my education thanks to the government. The government loans are alot better than the private loans because they screw you on the private loans.

Poor people actually getting an education to overthrow the rich??? How dare they do that to the awesome rich people :cuckoo: /end sarcasm

But I got federal grants and loans and I have gotten my education thanks to the government. The government loans are alot better than the private loans because they screw you on the private loans.
That gubmint edumacation you got apparently didn't include an introduction to amortization tables. :lol:

Forum List

Back