Higher Consumption Taxes for Lower Income Taxes?

Higher Consumption Taxes for Lower Consumption Taxes

• Yes, I'd pay a higher sales tax for lower income taxes

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • No, I want no national sales tax and will pay higher income taxes

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • I live in an alternative reality where taxes must always go down. I also own a unicorn.

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters
btw, it's Republican initiated and/or supported tax policy that has resulted in lower income Americans paying so little in federal income tax.

Who would benefit from a sales tax replacing some of the income tax?

Not the 47% who already pay a net zero in federal income taxes. This would be a tax increase for them since they're already as low as you can go with rates.

Additionally millions of households paying some income tax but not a lot would probably also get hit if the sales tax cost them more than any income tax cut saved them.

Obviously, the higher income brackets would benefit most from this change.
Yeah we cant have those working people actually paying taxes, ya know.

As long as you agree I'm right. These plans would be a tax increase for lower income Americans and a tax cut for higher income Americans.

As would the flat tax.

So when do the people who pay no taxes start paying their "fair share"?

Sorry but anyone who has been getting a free ride that has to start paying their way will experience a tax increase.

And so what if they do?

IMO it's about time

Well, then round up all the politicians you can who will go on record supporting raising taxes on the poorer and cutting taxes on the richer,

and will say so without any double talk,

and get them to run for office.

Those are the only people I will vote for.

Who would benefit from a sales tax replacing some of the income tax?

Not the 47% who already pay a net zero in federal income taxes. This would be a tax increase for them since they're already as low as you can go with rates.

Additionally millions of households paying some income tax but not a lot would probably also get hit if the sales tax cost them more than any income tax cut saved them.

Obviously, the higher income brackets would benefit most from this change.
Yeah we cant have those working people actually paying taxes, ya know.

As long as you agree I'm right. These plans would be a tax increase for lower income Americans and a tax cut for higher income Americans.

As would the flat tax.

So when do the people who pay no taxes start paying their "fair share"?

Sorry but anyone who has been getting a free ride that has to start paying their way will experience a tax increase.

And so what if they do?

IMO it's about time

Well, then round up all the politicians you can who will go on record supporting raising taxes on the poorer and cutting taxes on the richer,

and will say so without any double talk,

and get them to run for office.

Those are the only people I will vote for.

There's a 'none of the above' box on your ballots?

That's that is being debated in Congress.

Would you support paying a higher sales tax for paying lower income taxes?

Tax Proposals Would Move U.S. Closer to Global Norm - WSJ
Toro, I don't subscribe to WSJ online. Is this an across-the-board sales tax, or selective? For example, I've heard of plans that exclude things like food, medicine, etc., that would place a clear burden on low income people.

Either way, if I were king I'd (a) add two new margins at the top, 44.9% and 49.9%, and (b) clean up and simplify the code with regards to deductions. Not so much as to eliminate any of them (deductions spur activity), but to clarify.

Stop playing the Repub. vs Demo thing. This is a gov. vs we the people thing. The reason Congress is mulling this over is because they want to keep their insane spending habits, but they've rid America of jobs. Income tax isn't feeding enough to the pig, so how can they make it sound like they aren't in you pocket again? By telling us raising the tax on everything is better than raising the tax on one thing. What this country needs to survive is for the Republicans and the Democrats to unite against big government. Both parties should have a least that much in common. Both parties should have our best interest above their own.

Last edited:
For all the "policy" that is dicussed over this issue at then end of the day for most people its about -- which will force me to pay less? That's all.

Cruz' flat tax file your taxes on a postcard proposal is lifted right from Ronald Reagan (who may have taken it from someone else for all I know). Reagan advocated tax simplicity and a simple flat tax for years before he was elected President. Of course he never got there but he did move more towards it with his tax cut bill. The best thing about it would be a significant reduction of Washington DC influence over the economy. No tax breaks for this or that favorite industry / cause / whatever
Big tax prep corporations will never allow a simple form of taxation.

Think about it, most people have all their income reported to the IRS, and should simply get a letter in February telling them what they owe or what their refund will be.

Would that chap the asses of H&R Block et al or what???
that would be just the tip of the iceberg too -- there are so many dependent on tax policy -- that is why government likes it so much - it allows them to make you feel dependent on them.

Cruz' idea -- really Reagan's or whoever Reagan got it from is a very good one but we could never get there from here sad to say

As much as I have no use for EITHER tax system, I would prefer the lower income tax and a sales tax since it would mean I paid as little as possible in taxes.

Of course, what that would also mean is that I would not be making ANY unnecessary purchase, and would be buying the least expensive versions of whatever items I did need.... No more new clothes. Time to start buying ALL my clothes at Salvation Army. No more new cars, only used. No more name brand foods and definitely no eating out. No cell phones. No electronics. No cable tv. NOTHING taxable that is not 100% necessary to sustain life.
I know you were being sarcastic, but that is exactly why consumption taxes are preferable to taxes on production.

I know you were being sarcastic, but that is exactly why consumption taxes are preferable to taxes on production.

I was not being sarcastic. In the event of a National Sales Tax ALL of my unnecessary or luxury spending would be stopped.

Forum List

Back