High Tech Cars - Dangerous

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
According to a new study by AAA and the University of Utah, carmakers are compromising safety to provide new high tech gadgetry (with the probable motive of boosting sales$$). The problem are is the dashboard touchscreen. Originally, just a monitor with a rear camera (an excellent innovation), these dashboard screens have now morphed into monstrous, dangerous crash-causers.

The new additions have simply gone too far. They may increase sales, especially to tech-hungry young people, but they also have the characteristic of causing car crashes, as drivers are just too preoccupied with the touch screens and their many apps and adjustments.

On a TV report recently, a reporter behind the wheel, while demonstrating a dashboard touchscreen, in a 2017 car, said >> "Look at how long my eyes are off the road." And that was just for one of the apps. That screen had 8. And each of those with their own sub-categories.

While I haven't seen any causation studies, it is interesting that exactly contemporary with the developmnt of dash touchscreens (and smart phones), I've seen quite a rash of cases of cars smashing into houses, stores, etc, over the past couple of years. More lately than in my whole life previously.

th
1753705_G.jpg

manasquan-crash-71-007.jpg

Last edited:
Distractions are a danger anytime someone is driving. That includes messing with the radio or trying to find a piece of paper with the address on it.

Most touch screens are no more distracting than your car stereo. It is the person who decides to use the app and takes their eyes off the road without pulling over. It is the person's fault if they wreck. Because there are things that CAN distract you, does not mean you use them.

The responsibility is solely the driver's.

Do not like high tech things...

That's why I'm all for a classic car...like this 1930s Duesenberg Murphy coupe.

there you have it.

Distractions are a danger anytime someone is driving. That includes messing with the radio or trying to find a piece of paper with the address on it.

Most touch screens are no more distracting than your car stereo. It is the person who decides to use the app and takes their eyes off the road without pulling over. It is the person's fault if they wreck. Because there are things that CAN distract you, does not mean you use them.

. If only people were as rational as you wished they were, but anymore the percentages are falling to the bottom as far as the rational goes. It is getting worse, and the tech world is going way to fast for the generations to absorb it, and to become responsible with it. If your family member is killed or injured by one of these green horns, you will be singing a sad tune.

Of course. This is why drivers should always pull over first is/whenever they are going to use the touchscreen (or their cell phone screen)..

As for the degree of distraction as compared with your car stereo, if you program it to your stations, and you have only 3 or 4 at most, you can tune in with just a touch of a button. The AAA study (and the ABC TV report) showed the dash touchscreen to be far more involved than that, and thus, dangerous). Let's not get denialist about a danger.

. If only people were as rational as you wished they were, but anymore the percentages are falling to the bottom as far as the rational goes. It is getting worse, and the tech world is going way to fast for the generations to absorb it, and to become responsible with it. If your family member is killed or injured by one of these green horns, you will be singing a sad tune.

Yes, I will be singing a sad tune if someone I care about is hurt by someone driving a high tech car. But then, I will be singing a sad tune if someone I care about is hurt by someone driving a 1959 VW too. The technology is not why I would be sad.

But, while I would be sad, I would not rant against the technology. I believe we are responsible for our actions and shouldn't blame technology.

Of course. This is why drivers should always pull over first is/whenever they are going to use the touchscreen (or their cell phone screen)..

As for the degree of distraction as compared with your car stereo, if you program it to your stations, and you have only 3 or 4 at most, you can tune in with just a touch of a button. The AAA study (and the ABC TV report) showed the dash touchscreen to be far more involved than that, and thus, dangerous). Let's not get denialist about a danger.

And how many of the functions or apps are required to operate the car? Or are they navigation and other luxury items?

I drove a Tesla a year or so ago. You don't get more high tech than that. And everything is controlled from the touch screen. After a couple of minutes, I could do everything I needed with minimal distractions.

Plus, one of the new high tech items going in more and more cars is a warning for the driving if they drift in their lane, leave their lane, or don't see a car.

Yes, I will be singing a sad tune if someone I care about is hurt by someone driving a high tech car. But then, I will be singing a sad tune if someone I care about is hurt by someone driving a 1959 VW too. The technology is not why I would be sad.

But, while I would be sad, I would not rant against the technology. I believe we are responsible for our actions and shouldn't blame technology.
We should blame it if/whenever it lends itself to danger, and not blame it when it doesn't. Form follows function. In this case, the technology does deserve blame, as the AAA/Univ. of Utah and ABC News reports have shown.

We should blame it if/whenever it lends itself to danger, and not blame it when it doesn't. Form follows function. In this case, the technology does deserve blame, as the AAA/Univ. of Utah and ABC News reports have shown.

No. The technology is NOT to blame. The driver knows they have to pay attention. If they use the technology in a way that distracts them, it is THEIR fault. Not the technology. Not the car manufacturer. And not the other cars that have the same tech. It is the driver who chose to use the technology, not the other way around.

Besides, that same technology can warn the driver if they stray from their lane or are coming up on a car too fast.

And how many of the functions or apps are required to operate the car? Or are they navigation and other luxury items?

I drove a Tesla a year or so ago. You don't get more high tech than that. And everything is controlled from the touch screen. After a couple of minutes, I could do everything I needed with minimal distractions.

Plus, one of the new high tech items going in more and more cars is a warning for the driving if they drift in their lane, leave their lane, or don't see a car.
Changing the subject doesn't change the conclusions of the study.

"Look at how long my eyes are off the road."

I did not change the subject.

And yes, if someone plays with the technology instead of driving, they are a danger. But because the technology is there does not mean you have to use it while driving. THAT is a choice made by the driver.

No. The technology is NOT to blame. The driver knows they have to pay attention. If they use the technology in a way that distracts them, it is THEIR fault. Not the technology. Not the car manufacturer. And not the other cars that have the same tech. It is the driver who chose to use the technology, not the other way around.

Besides, that same technology can warn the driver if they stray from their lane or are coming up on a car too fast.
You are simply wrong, bullhead. But keep bashing this all night long, if you oddly think you must. :rolleyes: :slap: :laugh:

The driver CHOSE to take his eyes off the road for that long. Whatever he was doing with the app could wait.

You are simply wrong, bullhead. But keep bashing this all night long, if you oddly think you must. :rolleyes: :slap: :laugh:

No, I am not wrong. You want to give people a blanket excuse and blame the technology. The driver is responsible for what happens when he is driving. It really is that simple.

And yes, if someone plays with the technology instead of driving, they are a danger. But because the technology is there does not mean you have to use it while driving. THAT is a choice made by the driver.
The technology being there creates the situation of its use, and thereby crashes. This is simply the REALITY. There is no "IF"

I just posted 5 new OPs - don't have time to debate with silly postings. Knock yourself out.

The technology being there creates the situation of its use, and thereby crashes. This is simply the REALITY. There is no "IF"

I just posted 5 new OPs - don't have time to debate with silly postings. Knock yourself out.

Only a liberal would try and excuse bad choices by saying the technology created the problem. lol

The technology being there does nothing. It is the driver who decides to take their eyes off the road. It is the same with cell phones. The driver decided to send a text and is distracted. It is the driver's fault. The only difference is whether it is the cell phone lying on the seat or the screen mounted in the dashboard.

But maybe you should rethink your fear of driverless cars. No distractions there. :D

. If technology was proven to be why your loved one was killed, then yes your attitude would change immediately, and especially if you looked and saw that the stats we're stacking against the technology because more and more wrecks were being caused by it. Sometimes sadly it takes something to hit home before a person feels or can relate to what happened to other people in the same situation.

Forum List

Back