High Speed Driver's License

jarlaxle, you are full of shit. you don't make 1000 mile trips in one day on a regular basis.

When I was younger some buddies and I drove from Springfield, MO to Las Vegas in one day. That's 1400 miles. It took an entire day, as in we left at like 3 am and arrived at like 2 am the next day, we took shifts driving and averaged 80 mph with several breaks in between.

at 100 mph it would take you 10 hours to travel 1000 miles , with no stops. Virtually impossible for one person to do.

Some people do. I used to love long drives. Now I find them boring. I do them when necessary,but the wife limits me to around 600 miles at a stretch when she's along. Shit I drive 400 miles to visit my dentist!

jarlaxle, you are full of shit. you don't make 1000 mile trips in one day on a regular basis.

When I was younger some buddies and I drove from Springfield, MO to Las Vegas in one day. That's 1400 miles. It took an entire day, as in we left at like 3 am and arrived at like 2 am the next day, we took shifts driving and averaged 80 mph with several breaks in between.

at 100 mph it would take you 10 hours to travel 1000 miles , with no stops. Virtually impossible for one person to do.

Some people do. I used to love long drives. Now I find them boring. I do them when necessary,but the wife limits me to around 600 miles at a stretch when she's along. Shit I drive 400 miles to visit my dentist!

Around here, such driving is pretty much impossible. The northeast coast is way too congested and the roads are not set up for speed. It would be extremely dangerous to drive that fast on the roadways and highways around here. They just aren't any really long straight roads designed well for speeding.

100 mph, waste of fuel, so the government will not go for it. The odds of traffic accidents with slower vehicles will increase.

I don't see it happening.

Around here, such driving is pretty much impossible. The northeast coast is way too congested and the roads are not set up for speed. It would be extremely dangerous to drive that fast on the roadways and highways around here. They just aren't any really long straight roads designed well for speeding.

Yep. Out here, on the other hand it is quite easy. Highway 50 is accurately billed as the "Loneliest Road" in the USA and other than the occasional NHP to look out for you can go as fast as you are capable of. As you can see below, lots of straight lines!

6792963564_e34e8bc588_z.jpg

618_lonely-road_2.jpg

US50.JPG

LONELIEST ROAD US-50

LONELIEST ROAD US-50

Yep. Out here, on the other hand it is quite easy. Highway 50 is accurately billed as the "Loneliest Road" in the USA and other than the occasional NHP to look out for you can go as fast as you are capable of. As you can see below, lots of straight lines!

6792963564_e34e8bc588_z.jpg

618_lonely-road_2.jpg

US50.JPG

LONELIEST ROAD US-50

LONELIEST ROAD US-50

And this is what driving is like here in Massachusetts. Lol. :D

post-13279-Boston-Because-fuck-you-meme-I-4LBq.jpeg

(a) Yes I have driven on the high speed roads of Europe, mainly in Germany and Italy. The passing protocol is, first you put on your left turn signal to indicate to the person ahead that you want to pass. then you flash your high beams. I never got past that because every driver in front of me moved over when prompted. I was never delayed significantly because someone in front of me refused to clear the lane.

(2) For most people, they crap out at 10-12 hours of driving, even with the occasional pee/gas break. I can do 12+ but I hate it and I never do. But everyone is different and I know people who have driven around the clock occasionally for a one-time necessity. There is an interesting Youtube video on long-distance motorcycling and the guy has added a 5 gallon aux tank to his FJR (in addition to a main tank of 6 gallons). That fukker is putting in some long days.

(iii) The reason why this idea will have a hard time going forward is there is NO POLITICAL UPSIDE for a politician to sponsor it. In that respect it's like legalizing recreational marijuana. Nobody will vote for you because of the fact that you sponsored the bill, but some people will definitely vote against you if you sponsor the bill. That is the biggest hurdle for legalizing marijuana.

D. One of the perverse things in life is that when you suggest doing anything differently there is a large crowd of people who will claim (and believe?) that the change will cause the end of the world. Even if you can show them that what you are proposing goes on in other places without any problem. High speed drivers? They've been doing it that way with no significant problems in Europe for decades. Yet still people will insist that, "it couldn't work here."

I live in the Peoples' Republic of Pennsylvania, where the State controls all sales of liquor and wine, and restricts sales of beer (other than in bars & restaurants) to licensed beer distributors. When you tell people that this is fucking stupid and should change (the State should get out of the booze business), they tell you that if we do that, there will be drunkards lying in every gutter in the state within a week. They are unimpressed by the fact that 48 of the 50 states have liquor sold by private merchants.

Dumb fucks.

I think we devolved into "I have a bigger dick" posts a while back. Westwall's absurdity in post 54 for example, would have to average over 78mph even if one allowed all 24 hours.

I'm starting to figure out that Westwall must have a very dry sense of humor. But it's hard to pick up on a message board.

Oh by the way just to contribute, the furthest I ever did in once day was Tierra del Fuego to Lapland. I took the Behring Straight Bridge before they tore it down. It was something like eleventy thousand miles. I did it in 20 minutes, but to be fair that doesn't include time zone changes.

I averaged 85 mph taking only time to refuel and I stopped and ate one time. The drive was from Santa Barbara to Kansas City via 101 to I 40 to Hwy 54 in Tucumcari to I 35 in Wichita to I 70 to the Linda Hall library where I had a delivery to make. I did it in a 1972 Plymouth Fury II. The fact that I did it in my youth certainly helped. The fact that you have never seemed to do anything extreme in your life just says you live life slowly and carefully. I didn't when I was younger. I am now starting to slow down due to age, but I still drive fast, and fly faster!

Sure ya did. Drove 1900 miles averaging 85 -- to return a library book.

Gotta admit -- no, I've never done that. I just pay the fine.
:rolleyes:

(a) Yes I have driven on the high speed roads of Europe, mainly in Germany and Italy. The passing protocol is, first you put on your left turn signal to indicate to the person ahead that you want to pass. then you flash your high beams. I never got past that because every driver in front of me moved over when prompted. I was never delayed significantly because someone in front of me refused to clear the lane.

(2) For most people, they crap out at 10-12 hours of driving, even with the occasional pee/gas break. I can do 12+ but I hate it and I never do. But everyone is different and I know people who have driven around the clock occasionally for a one-time necessity. There is an interesting Youtube video on long-distance motorcycling and the guy has added a 5 gallon aux tank to his FJR (in addition to a main tank of 6 gallons). That fukker is putting in some long days.

My NC-to-NOLA trip usually ends up around 14 hours (I think, I don't really keep track since it's irrelevant) -- it could be well shorter if I (a) took the most direct route (but that would take me through Atlanta, and that's simply not gonna happen -- drivers there are infuckingsane), (b) drove as if I hated driving and couldn't wait to get it over with (i.e. fast, as if permanently trapped in Atlanta) and (c) didn't stop for a nice leisurely meal break along the way. And at the other end I still feel alert -- happy to have arrived but not worn out from doing it. That's the whole point -- pushing much beyond that, and/or pushing one's speed to make as much distance as possible takes a lot more energy -- not just from the car but from the driver -- and is every bit as irresponsible as the driver who insists he should be given his keys because "I'm not too drunk to drive, really".

A co-worker tried to make it to NOLA from Delaware. Somewhere in Alabama he fell asleep at the wheel, completely wrecked the van and permanently fucked up both himself and his wife, who will never walk normally again. They're lucky to be alive at all. Even luckier are the motorists who didn't happen to be driving near them when they fell asleep.

Longest trip I ever drove IRL was 3600 miles -- northern New England to SoCal by way of Ontario. But I took six days, and every one of them brought myriad magic moments -- experiences which I actually remember and can relate in detail to this day. Because there's a lot more to the experience than minimizing numbers on a clock.

Last edited:

I think we devolved into "I have a bigger dick" posts a while back. Westwall's absurdity in post 54 for example, would have to average over 78mph even if one allowed all 24 hours.

I'm starting to figure out that Westwall must have a very dry sense of humor. But it's hard to pick up on a message board.

Oh by the way just to contribute, the furthest I ever did in once day was Tierra del Fuego to Lapland. I took the Behring Straight Bridge before they tore it down. It was something like eleventy thousand miles. I did it in 20 minutes, but to be fair that doesn't include time zone changes.

I averaged 85 mph taking only time to refuel and I stopped and ate one time. The drive was from Santa Barbara to Kansas City via 101 to I 40 to Hwy 54 in Tucumcari to I 35 in Wichita to I 70 to the Linda Hall library where I had a delivery to make. I did it in a 1972 Plymouth Fury II. The fact that I did it in my youth certainly helped. The fact that you have never seemed to do anything extreme in your life just says you live life slowly and carefully. I didn't when I was younger. I am now starting to slow down due to age, but I still drive fast, and fly faster!

Nope. Not a book. It was a geologic report for the State of Missouri. I drove that speed because i felt like it. I understand that high speeds frighten you. No problem. Don't drive that fast. High speeds, on the other hand, I find enjoyable. It's just a question of skill and desire.

Nope. Not a book. It was a geologic report for the State of Missouri. I drove that speed because i felt like it. I understand that high speeds frighten you. No problem. Don't drive that fast. High speeds, on the other hand, I find enjoyable. It's just a question of skill and desire.

Uh -- no, they don't "frighten" me. I understand your little mind may only function on that level but it's a wee bit more complex. It's like -- drinking.

I figure I can't analyze an experience I never had so I tried it. Just to see what it was like, what the attraction was. I've driven waaay faster than that. And I've tried drinking. Note these were not at the same time ;)

And in both cases at the end I could only think -- that's it?? This is what some people seek on purpose? :uhh:

They left me flat. Seeing no productive point in either one, I left 'em behind.

Uh -- no, they don't "frighten" me. I understand your little mind may only function on that level but it's a wee bit more complex. It's like -- drinking.

I figure I can't analyze an experience I never had so I tried it. Just to see what it was like, what the attraction was. I've driven waaay faster than that. And I've tried drinking. Note these were not at the same time ;)

And in both cases at the end I could only think -- that's it?? This is what some people seek on purpose? :uhh:

you don't drive as fast as Westwall, so logically youre not as much of a man as westwall.

:rofl:

you don't drive as fast as Westwall, so logically youre not as much of a man as westwall.

Some of us are easily amused by the superficial. Others seek deeper meaning.
In other words I have a bigger Peter Principle. :D

So then, Pogo, what does it mean when a woman speeds? :D

well of course it means she's compensating for not having a penis at all.

Driving fast in a straight line isn't interesting. That I will grant you. Driving fast on a twisting mountain road though...that's an altogether entirely different experience.

It means she's exciting and worth chasing!

She's trying to catch me. ;)

Never said I did. I said I could do 1000 miles in a day without a problem. (And I can.) Would you like a baseball bat to use on your straw man?

I will give you one trillion dollars if you can show where I said I limited drives to ten hours. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand...go to it!

Driving fast in a straight line isn't interesting. That I will grant you. Driving fast on a twisting mountain road though...that's an altogether entirely different experience.

:lol: I would be screaming and crying probably. I don't like heights very much, especially in a vehicle. That is frightening to me. Have you ever seen this road. It is supposedly the most dangerous road in the world. Bet they don't have a big problem with speeding. :)

P4170106.jpg

1382619906.jpg.CROP.promo-large2.jpg

Forum List

Back