High Speed Chases Ending in Death - Whose Fault Is It, Really?

you're delusional, and it's obvious that you've been a defense attorney way, way too long. stockholm syndrome claims another victim.

thanks for stopping by.

Which is the only possible explanation for this website, these people have been deluded by defense attorneys.

Kristie's Law

clearly you forgot to read the part where the cops didn't follow their own policy.

try again.

you're delusional, and it's obvious that you've been a defense attorney way, way too long. stockholm syndrome claims another victim.

thanks for stopping by.

Which is the only possible explanation for this website, these people have been deluded by defense attorneys.

Kristie's Law

clearly you forgot to read the part where the cops didn't follow their own policy.

try again.

How does the fact that cops break the rules make me wrong, or you right?

It's the fault of the person doing the running...

well, there are also questions as to what responsibility the police have in terms of safety in pursuing the people who are running.

I am sick to death (being an ex LEO and all) with the media down here blaming police in blazing headlines when there is a fatality after a police chase. And I get annoyed because the person being chased is 100 percent at fault. Why? Let's take it to its logical conclusion. If everybody knows that they can speed as fast as they like knowing the police HAVE to stop after a certain stage, then how many more people will to 'runners' from the police. And who do you think is going to do all the bitching and moaning about the roads being run 'by boy racing lunatics'? That's right, the same people who bitch and moan about police pursuits...

Last edited:

well, there are also questions as to what responsibility the police have in terms of safety in pursuing the people who are running.

Of course you're right, they need to use some judgement.

But simply giving a blanket no pursuit policy is a little absurd.

i don't think there should be a blanket no pursuit policy.

Kristie's Law

try again.

How does the fact that cops break the rules make me wrong, or you right?

gee, if they followed their own rules, maybe the girl wouldn't have gotten killed. maybe, just maybe, some high speed chases are justified.

maybe if you had a clue as to what i was talking about before you jumped in, you'd realize that your comment was insipid and your link irrelevant.

then again, maybe not.

I am sick to death (being an ex LEO and all) with the media down here blaming police in blazing headlines when there is a fatality after a police chase. And I get annoyed because the person being chased is 100 percent at fault. Why? Let's take it to it's logical conclusion. If everybody knows that they can speed as fast as they like knowing the police HAVE to stop after a certain stage, then how many more people will to 'runners' from the police. And who do you think is going to do all the bitching and moaning about the roads being run 'by boy racing lunatics'? That's right, the same people who bitch and moan about police pursuits...

say what you really think, grump. :lol:

in all seriousness, i see your point 100%. i'm just wondering what precautions the police *should* take to avoid innocents getting hurt. i do think there should be extra penalties to the runners, though.

How the fuck do you know who's driving the car? All you have is a license plate? LOL

What a moron!

Frank in better than half the chases i have seen.....there have been near casualties either on the freeway with this guy going in and out of traffic doing 100 MPH....with 10 CHP cars following....then they get off the freeway and do 80 MPH through busy intersections....and i have seen cars get swiped doing this.....people in crosswalks scattering.....what if your wife or kid was walking home and in that intersection when they come barrelling through.....that would be more likely than someone in the trunk....if traffic is very light thats one thing....but out here....there are ALWAYS cars on the road....to many fucking people out here.......

All right, Sunshine - I'll tell you what prompted this thread to begin with. Last week, where I live (Los Angeles area), a California Highway Patrol motorcycle officer was killed chasing a speeder who refused to stop. The officer's lost control of his bike during the chase and ended up dead.

So it isn't always innocent civilians who die because of these chases.

Footnote: I wonder what the motorcycle officer thought he was going to do if he had been able to catch up to the car? Kind of hard to do a pit maneuver on a car with a motorcycle.

i read about that in the paper....

I am sick to death (being an ex LEO and all) with the media down here blaming police in blazing headlines when there is a fatality after a police chase. And I get annoyed because the person being chased is 100 percent at fault. Why? Let's take it to it's logical conclusion. If everybody knows that they can speed as fast as they like knowing the police HAVE to stop after a certain stage, then how many more people will to 'runners' from the police. And who do you think is going to do all the bitching and moaning about the roads being run 'by boy racing lunatics'? That's right, the same people who bitch and moan about police pursuits...

in all seriousness, i see your point 100%. i'm just wondering what precautions the police *should* take to avoid innocents getting hurt. i do think there should be extra penalties to the runners, though.

Back in the day I was in a car chase. An 18 year old had stolen a car. The little fucker side-swiped us into a power pole which caved in our front end. This was before air bags were compulsory. We weren't hurt, although the power lines came down and the police car behind us had its roof lights ripped off from the power lines. The prick crashed after side swiping us and as he got out of the car said "Fuck you pricks, I'll only get 6 months for this, out in 3". Unfortunately for him, there was a judge who was on his driveway watching all the fuss. Guess who this little bastido went up in front of? That judge. He got three years - and was ALL his fault....

Last edited:
It all goes hand in hand, the speeder get his 15 minutes and if the cops "overreact" he hires you to sue the city.

I've been pulled over by cops for speeding in more than one state (hmm, 4 states now that I think of it) and instead of flooring it, I have this bad habit of pulling over, turning the engine off and putting my hands on the wheel.

I'm such a nerd.

unfortunatly Frank....not all those jerks are as smart as you....:eusa_angel:

Back in the day I was in a car chase. An 18 year old had stolen a car. The little fucker side-swiped us into a power pole which caved in our front end. This was before air bags were compulsory. We weren't hurt, although the power lines came down and the police car behind us had its roof lights ripped off from the power lines coming down. The prick crashed after side swiping us and as he got out of the car said "Fuck you pricks, I'll only get 6 months for this, out in 3". Unfortunately for him, there was a judge who was on his driveway watching all the fuss. Guess who this little bastido went up in front of? That judge. He got three years - and was ALL his fault....

what a creep... he deserved what he got and more.

you know, up here the judge would have had to recuse himself from hearing the case.

Down here, you now get your car confiscated and sold...

Down here, you now get your car confiscated and sold...

i like that... seems like it would be a deterent.

do cops carry guns there or is it like england? (sorry, never thought to ask before).

I have never liked the asset forfeiture policies. It always seems to me like a reason for the cops to bust you and keep your car, cash, what have you. Whether or not they (the department) gets to keep the proceeds, especially when they can do it without a trial.

Saw this while looking up the info for this post. Love the URL?

http://www.fear.org/

Incredible as it sounds, civil asset forfeiture laws allow the government to seize property without charging anyone with a crime. Until FEAR achieved the nation's first major federal forfeiture law reform at the turn of the millenium, the government was allowed to keep whatever property it seized without ever having to prove a case. Seized property was presumed guilty and could be forfeited based upon mere hearsay—even a tip supplied by by an informant who stood to gain up to 25% of the forfeited assets. Owners were forced into the untenable situation of trying to prove a negative—that something never happened, even though no proof of any illegal act had been offered at trial.

USDOJ: Asset Forfeiture Program Home

Purpose: The primary mission of the Department of Justice Asset Forfeiture Program is to employ asset forfeiture powers in a manner that enhances public safety and security. This is accomplished by removing the proceeds of crime and other assets relied upon by criminals and their associates to perpetuate their criminal activity against our society. Asset forfeiture has the power to disrupt or dismantle criminal organizations that would continue to function if we only convicted and incarcerated specific individuals.

Scope: The Department of Justice Asset Forfeiture Program encompasses the seizure and forfeiture of assets that represent the proceeds of, or were used to facilitate federal crimes. Forfeiture may proceed under either administrative or judicial processes. Further, the DOJ program applies only to cases developed by enforcement officials in certain agencies of the Federal Government.

Immie

lets take this scenario.......car speeds by cop...cop takes plate and calls it in...but doesnt engage in a high speed chase......speeding car runs light at intersection...wipes out a family in another car....

now the cop is being condemned to doing nothing....

no win/win here

he would not have been able to stop it anyway....unless the guy was like Frank and pulled over....if not,the accident still happens....and then they start asking the question.....SHOULD THE COP HAVE PURSUED...theres 10 helicopters in the air when these things happen....the guy aint going anywhere....

Forum List

Back