High School

What were you in high school?

• Total voters
Like most pupils in a British grammar school, I was was mortally terrified of my school masters who ruled by the cane. I kept my head down, though I suppose by virtue of being lashed as often as I was, you could've called me a bit of a "bad boy" from 14 onwards, though nothing more serious than breaking a few windows and smoking on school grounds.

British grammar schools during the sunset of the Empire were a very, very different environment from what we saw on American TV shows.

I voted "other".
I wasn't really a "good" girl, wasn't really a "bad" girl. I liked going to parties, friends were more important that classes. But i never really did anything wrong either. I wasn't in the "upper" class, it was a small town, so i never got selected for teams, couldn't make the cheerlead squad even though i could do the cheers better than most...i just wasn't with "their" crowd. And i found when my kids grew up here, it hadn't changed a bit. It was all politics and "who" you were.

• Banned
Having my sister graduate as a home school student was really kind of sad. She was the only one in her graduating class (they did a ceremony at church.)

I was definitely considered a bad boy although the hype was far more than the reality. :lol: I got good grades, played middle linebacker for a couple years until my schedule became so busy I had to stop playing (and I was simply too small to play the position in my junior and senior years), I rarely got into trouble, but the thing was I was a singer in a rock band and I was acutely aware of our image and the need to craft it through a stage persona and a pretty elaborate stage show for a band at that level of development. So I certainly portrayed myself as something one would expect a "rock star" to be....and frankly it worked. :lol: In Idaho, western Montana, and eastern Oregon and Washington we were probably as close to "rock star" status as you could get without actually being a "rock star" :lol: And we took full advantage of it, let me tell you. Spent a shit ton of money on light shows and flash pods (stage explosions), drank rivers of booze, and took many liberties with the female portion of our fan base. It's a minor miracle I never got the clap. :lmao:

But anyhow, behind the scenes I studied various subjects of academic interest intently and was a far different person than my image suggested. Sure was fun though. ;)

I was definitely considered a bad boy although the hype was far more than the reality. :lol: I got good grades, played middle linebacker for a couple years until my schedule became so busy I had to stop playing (and I was simply too small to play the position in my junior and senior years), I rarely got into trouble, but the thing was I was a singer in a rock band and I was acutely aware of our image and the need to craft it through a stage persona and a pretty elaborate stage show for a band at that level of development. So I certainly portrayed myself as something one would expect a "rock star" to be....and frankly it worked. :lol: In Idaho, western Montana, and eastern Oregon and Washington we were probably as close to "rock star" status as you could get without actually being a "rock star" :lol: And we took full advantage of it, let me tell you. Spent a shit ton of money on light shows and flash pods (stage explosions), drank rivers of booze, and took many liberties with the female portion of our fan base. It's a minor miracle I never got the clap. :lmao:

But anyhow, behind the scenes I studied various subjects of academic interest intently and was a far different person than my image suggested. Sure was fun though. ;)

I wonder if I should have found a way to include band/choir/orchestra - OR was that part of Nerd/Geek?

I guess I was bad, I was almost expelled from my high school for fighting. All I really cared about was hanging out, sticking my tongue in my girlfriends mouth and trying to score some gin and juice.

Not sure I should start another poll so fast - but what kind of school were you from? I was small town, graduating class of 130. AND 95% of them had been together since kindergarten.

We moved there when I was 14. Oh, what fun.

I wonder if I should have found a way to include band/choir/orchestra - OR was that part of Nerd/Geek?

Oh comparing my band to choir is like comparing Metallica to Lawrence Welk. We really spent a lot of time building that stage show. By our height we had a mobile two level stage, smoke machines, fireballs, spark sprays, an elevating drum platform, more lights than we knew what to do with, a mini-trampoline on the upper level so to start the show I could leap over the drums to the front of the stage...we really put on a good show. And we built it all ourselves. The lights for, example....well you take two coffee cans, remove both ends of one and one end of them other, solder them together to make a tube, mount a socket in the bottom, screw in a white flood bulb, build a small metal frame to hold a colored gel, paint the whole thing black and presto! You have yourself a stage light. Do that about 80 times by collecting cans from friends and neighbors, plug them all into a sectioned switchboard and pay a buddy $20 and a sixer of beer to sit there all night flipping switches back and forth you've got yourself one hell of a light show. :lol:

Oh comparing my band to choir is like comparing Metallica to Lawrence Welk. We really spent a lot of time building that stage show. By our height we had a mobile two level stage, smoke machines, fireballs, spark sprays, an elevating drum platform, more lights than we knew what to do with, a mini-trampoline on the upper level so to start the show I could leap over the drums to the front of the stage...we really put on a good show. And we built it all ourselves. The lights for, example....well you take two coffee cans, remove both ends of one and one end of them other, solder them together to make a tube, mount a socket in the bottom, screw in a white flood bulb, build a small metal frame to hold a colored gel, paint the whole thing black and presto! You have yourself a stage light. Do that about 80 times by collecting cans from friends and neighbors, plug them all into a sectioned switchboard and pay a buddy $20 and a sixer of beer to sit there all night flipping switches back and forth you've got yourself one hell of a light show. :lol:

You brought up music, it made me realize what I missed. In other words - this was not actually about you. ;)

You brought up music, it made me realize what I missed. In other words - this was not actually about you. ;)

Oh.....:lol: I sometimes get carried away. I am my favorite topic of conversation, you know. My apologies. :lol:

Oh.....:lol: I sometimes get carried away. I am my favorite topic of conversation, you know. My apologies. :lol:

Yeah, that's why the ;). I am enjoying hearing about the glory days, though. Were you guys able to record any of your performances?

Forum List

Back