High School stops publishing Honor roll: Merged with "Can you figure this one out?"

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Hobbit, Dec 12, 2006.

  1. Hobbit
    Offline

    Hobbit Senior Member

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2004
    Messages:
    5,099
    Thanks Received:
    420
    Trophy Points:
    48
    Location:
    Near Atlanta, GA
    Ratings:
    +421
    I can't. Needham High School in, where else, Massachussetts, has decided to stop publishing the honor roll because it puts too much emphasis on grades. Let me say that again, so it can sink in. They stopped publishing the honor roll because it puts too much emphasis on grades. One more time, with the exactly quote from the man himself..."an unhealthy emphasis on grades!"

    Isn't this a SCHOOL?! What are they supposd to be emphasizing.

    http://www.thebostonchannel.com/education/10509779/detail.html
     
  2. 90K
    Offline

    90K BANNED

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2006
    Messages:
    1,204
    Thanks Received:
    64
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    in the back of GW in foggy bottom
    Ratings:
    +64
    Yeah I guess if you had like 2% honors kids and the rest of the 98% were the dream team then the statement would make sense. Just my take on it, but hey it is up north in liberal country. Glock what is your take?
     
  3. dmp
    Offline

    dmp Senior Member

    Joined:
    May 12, 2004
    Messages:
    13,088
    Thanks Received:
    741
    Trophy Points:
    48
    Location:
    Enterprise, Alabama
    Ratings:
    +741
    http://www.kirotv.com/mostpopular/10515520/detail.html

    BOO-HOO! What a LOAD of crap. I'm tellin' ya, Mr Richards is spineless and week. An 'unhealthy focus on grades'? WTF?

    "The test is too hard! So we lower the standards.." - Ned "Carlos" Mencia.
     
  4. jillian
    Offline

    jillian Princess Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2006
    Messages:
    69,560
    Thanks Received:
    13,013
    Trophy Points:
    2,220
    Location:
    The Other Side of Paradise
    Ratings:
    +22,439

    Ridiculous, IMO... kids should be rewarded for excelling.
     
  5. Bonnie
    Offline

    Bonnie Senior Member

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2004
    Messages:
    9,476
    Thanks Received:
    668
    Trophy Points:
    48
    Location:
    Wherever
    Ratings:
    +669
    Absolutely as should adults.... This may be the resurgance of outcome based education..ie 2+2= 5 if it makes Tommy happy to think it does....
     
  6. jillian
    Offline

    jillian Princess Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2006
    Messages:
    69,560
    Thanks Received:
    13,013
    Trophy Points:
    2,220
    Location:
    The Other Side of Paradise
    Ratings:
    +22,439
    You're right, of course. Both adults and children should be rewarded for excellence and putting in more than the next guy/kid.

    Hopefully this stuff is just outbreaks of silliness which will soon be squelched.
     
  7. Bonnie
    Offline

    Bonnie Senior Member

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2004
    Messages:
    9,476
    Thanks Received:
    668
    Trophy Points:
    48
    Location:
    Wherever
    Ratings:
    +669
    New bumpersticker to read "my kid could be an honor roll student, but we'll never know now" LOL what a shame
     
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Jimmyeatworld
    Offline

    Jimmyeatworld Silver Member

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2004
    Messages:
    2,239
    Thanks Received:
    223
    Trophy Points:
    93
    Location:
    America
    Ratings:
    +223
    I stopped drinking water because there was too much emphasis on quenching my thirst...

    Tell ya what, let's just give everyone a diploma at birth... What the heck! Illegals too!... Then we can speed up this handbasket on it's way to hell.

    *edit: Just checked the poll results so far on that site.

    1309 Votes

    I agree with this - 173 - 13%
    I think this is ridiculous - 1106 - 84%
    I'm not sure - 30 - 2%
     
  9. Kagom
    Offline

    Kagom Senior Member

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2006
    Messages:
    2,161
    Thanks Received:
    141
    Trophy Points:
    48
    Location:
    Vicksburg, MS
    Ratings:
    +141
    I say there's too little emphasis on grades.
     
  10. Abbey Normal
    Offline

    Abbey Normal Senior Member

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2005
    Messages:
    4,825
    Thanks Received:
    391
    Trophy Points:
    48
    Location:
    Mid-Atlantic region
    Ratings:
    +391
    Those 30 "I'm not sure" folks must really be something.
     

Share This Page