high school reunion....

Dan

Aug 28, 2003
Aiken, SC
So, today was my five year high school reunion and I didn't go. I didn't think it was going to be that big of a deal, but the four people who I still keep in touch with from high school seemed shocked that I wasn't interested in going.

My reasons are pretty simple. First off, I went to a prep school, so there were a lot of snobs in my grade, and this thing is not only being organized by one of them, it's being held at the country club. I'm not the country club type at all. Second, it's $25, and I simply don't have the money. Third, the aforementioned four people are four out of about seven people who I would actually give a crap about seeing again. And, finally there are about four people who will probably be there that I absolutely hated then and only grew to hate more as I got older.

So, all in all, I would be paying $25 to go to a town that I hate, to hang out in a place I hate with a handful of people I like, about twenty people I have no opinion on whatsoever, and about four who I downright hate.

Am I just being a huge misanthrope here or what? I mean, first of all, a five-year reunion is ridiculous to begin with. But, I'm amazed at how all my friends think I'm insane for not going while I think they're insane for going. What do you think?

Dan said:
So, today was my five year high school reunion and I didn't go. I didn't think it was going to be that big of a deal, but the four people who I still keep in touch with from high school seemed shocked that I wasn't interested in going.

My reasons are pretty simple. First off, I went to a prep school, so there were a lot of snobs in my grade, and this thing is not only being organized by one of them, it's being held at the country club. I'm not the country club type at all. Second, it's $25, and I simply don't have the money. Third, the aforementioned four people are four out of about seven people who I would actually give a crap about seeing again. And, finally there are about four people who will probably be there that I absolutely hated then and only grew to hate more as I got older.

So, all in all, I would be paying $25 to go to a town that I hate, to hang out in a place I hate with a handful of people I like, about twenty people I have no opinion on whatsoever, and about four who I downright hate.

Am I just being a huge misanthrope here or what? I mean, first of all, a five-year reunion is ridiculous to begin with. But, I'm amazed at how all my friends think I'm insane for not going while I think they're insane for going. What do you think?

I would actually go. You would be surprised on how only 5 years can change someone.

Tim and I went to our 5yr reunion back in '04. And, we were kind of in the same situation. Granted, I didn't graduate at the same HS as Tim, I went to elementary, middle, and 9th grade with all these people. I met Tim in 9th grade, but had to move shortly after.

Anyhow, it was actually a ton of fun, even talking to people whose only reasons for talking to me back then were for ridicule and meanness. But there were going to be a few people there we hadn't seen in 5 years, only because after HS, life took us different directions, etc.

I talked to some of those people who made my life hard all through school and a few actually apologized for how they treated me, and we had a great time talking. Some of those people, had not changed, but you could tell life wasn't being good to them either-they were the ones standing around with a drink in one hand, and a cigarette in the other.

I don’t think you’re insane, Dan.

Did you lose something in HS you need to find?
I didn’t.

I didn’t attend my 10, 20 or 30 year reunion and I know I didn’t miss a thing. I don’t live in the past nor do I live to point a finger and say, “see I told you he/she was a loser” or whatever.

HS reunions are a waste of time, all ego shit IMO.

I went to a snobby Catholic high school, can't think of many I would want to see that I don't still chat with today. I did go to an alternative school for one yr in 9th grade, I would be interested in seeing a few from that school - just to see who is alive, since I know a few aren't......and to see who is or isn't on out on parole/probation. :laugh:

So, to answer your question, no I don't think your crazy for not going.

My four friends talked me into going after a lot of rigamarole. So I got all dressed up (khakis and a collared shirt is dressed up to me!), made it about a third of the way there and got a flat tire. I put a donut on it, but by that point it was about 9:00, I still had about an hour drive ahead of me, and I had to come back and change since I looked like.... well, like I'd been changing a tire in a gas station parking lot.

Oh, well, I tried. I really don't care that much, I'm more pissed at the fact that something like this happens any time I try to do something special like this, and the fact that I now have to buy a new tire.

But, anyway, like I said, I'm not too worried about it. One of our classmates got married about a year ago and we all went, and I got to see why I got the hell out of Orangeburg to begin with. Between the preppie girls doing coke in the bathroom and the redneck d-bag who thought it'd be funny to dump a full cup of beer in my lap, I'm not really sure why I had any desire at all to go back. Maybe God was trying to tell me something.

i didn't go to my five year one three years ago and i don't plan on attending the ten year on in two years. although at the ten i could always have a gross point blank moment at it. you never know!

i didn't go to my five year one three years ago and i don't plan on attending the ten year on in two years. although at the ten i could always have a gross point blank moment at it. you never know!

Are you gonna kill a dude and get Jeremy Piven to help you throw him in the incinerator?

Said1 said:
I went to a snobby Catholic high school, can't think of many I would want to see that I don't still chat with today. I did go to an alternative school for one yr in 9th grade, I would be interested in seeing a few from that school - just to see who is alive, since I know a few aren't......and to see who is or isn't on out on parole/probation. :laugh:

So, to answer your question, no I don't think your crazy for not going.
Same here, Said... with the "snobby" Catholic school. I get in touch with the people I want to see. I haven't gone to any of my reunions, although I do think it would be somewhat interesting, but not enough to warrant the effort.

You're not crazy, Dan. Especially the five-year reunion.

We didn't have a 5 year. I went to my ten year, and even that was "too early," if that makes any sense. I went to public high school in a pretty well-to-do neighborhood, so there were a few people there talking about how they are now lawyers or in med school and crap. A few people remembered me as "that guy who went to West Point" but otherwise, I hung with my old group of high school friends.

I'm going to love going to my HS reunions. I went to boarding school and I want to see how the blue bloods turned out and catch up with some old friends. It's going to be really interesting because boarding gives you a whole different outlook on a person. These are not just people I attended school with, they're people I lived with, shared a shower with. At that age, and in that proximity, you really get to know people.

Forum List

Back