High School Graduation Party Allows Drinking For Teens

Next weekend, some parents of Lanigan Central High School graduates will host a “safe grad” party at an undisclosed location. Graduates planning to attend the Saturday night drinking party had to submit a form signed by their parents in advance of the party. The graduates had to pre-order and pre-pay for the alcohol they’ll drink during the 9 p.m. to 2 a.m. party. Graduates and their guests, who have to be in Grade 10 or higher, will be allowed up to 10 drinks, including beer, vodka, rum and rye.

“Safe Grad” Graduation Party To Let Attendees Have 10 Alcoholic Drinks With Parent’s Permission | KXNet.com North Dakota News

Not a good idea. You can't legally break the law just because you have a parental note saying that your underaged kid can consume alcohol.
I think this is a good idea. They are going to do it anyways. Shit my senior kegger was up in the woods and there sure as hell was no supervision and I remember many people puking and driving intoxicated. I still have my tshirt ten years later.

Look.. .my kids have had a drink of champagne at new years, or a sip of beer or whatever under my supervision.... but these are my kids

And yes.. we all snuck things underage (or most all of us)...

And while I would rather have my kids drink under my supervision or with me if they ARE going to drink underage... that does not mean that it is still not illegal for me to 'provide' them alcohol.. and I agree that the law should be there to prevent the distribution of alcohol to minors or the sale of alcohol to minors.. but I do not think any cop is going to bust you for having a beer with your 19 year old during a back yard picnic

The biggest problem is here with this being a group thing... an organized thing.. and not just 1 parent make a decision for their own child...

Now.. when my child graduates, if I choose to open a bottle of champagne for them or whatever... my choice.. but not for distributing to other people's children, even with their parents' permission

Just my thoughts on it

I do believe that the punishment should fit the crime. when someone is getting 3+ DUIs and still has a license, to me it means the laws here are ineffective and proves my point that other nations are much harsher on DUI offenders.

the 5+ DUI comment stems from a case here in Morgantown, WV where a man had 3 DUIs and lost his license in WV, but got a PA license anyway. his 5th DUI he killed several people.

Man Charged In W. Va. Crash Had Long DUI Record - kdka.com

it's not the best article as far as how many DUIs he had but it tells the basics

Great.... But here's what you said when you jumped in here:

DUI's in america don't compare around the world. I know I got one. In the US we get off with a slap on the wrist the first time. Over there they go to jail and lose their license. In other countries 20 mile hikes are the sentence, in others death. Don't even try to say we have strict DUI laws.

First, you made a very general statement when, in fact, you had/have some very specific examples in mind for YOUR state. In fact, I could find examples of such instances occurring here in the not too distant past. You want it changed? CHANGE IT. Never mind that I drive through your state at least once a year, and you guys have THE MOST FUCKED UP DRIVERS I HAVE EVER ENCOUNTERED, and that's saying a lot considering where I come from, and at 15mph over the posted 75mph speed limit!

Second, your initial statement seemed to advocate DEATH for the first violation. No where do I see any criteria other than "the first time". Geezus.... We can't even get people to agree on the death penalty for capital offenses!

Now do you see where my problem with your arguments are?

There is still a relevant debate about giving kids alcohol. Just not a legal debate.

I found it impossible to beleive that this party was advertised enough to be in the news but there was no mention of any legal opinion, at all. At first, I thought the school was probably across state lines in South Dakota and maybe the law was different there, and the law is indeed different in South Dakota. There is parental exception there too.

There is still a relevant debate about giving kids alcohol. Just not a legal debate.

I found it impossible to beleive that this party was advertised enough to be in the news but there was no mention of any legal opinion, at all. At first, I thought the school was probably across state lines in South Dakota and maybe the law was different there, and the law is indeed different in South Dakota. There is parental exception there too.

Maybe this will help

About $8 Alcohol Server Training

I know it refers to professional servers, but maybe it's applicable to parents as well

Last edited:

Maybe this will help

About $8 Alcohol Server Training

I know it refers to professional servers, but maybe it's applicable to parents as well

The South Dakota law, as I understand it, requires a parent to be immediately present. No notes or permission slips but if the parent is there, the kids 18 or over can drink.

Persoanlly, I think giving kids alcohol is wrong. They'll just get sick and puke it up, wasting good liquor. THAT should be punishable.

Sweet Willy, you have brought up the point about a legal debate. I must have misunderstood things. I was under the impression that serving alcohol to people under the age of 21 was against the law? Have I been wrong all this time? I think this is something I would like to know more about.

In my state, if I had kids drinking that were under 21, I would be charged with contributing to the delinquency of minor plus the parents would be able to sue me in court and if 1 of those kids left my house and had an accident I could be indicted, fined and face jail time. Because of those reasons and the fact that it is illegal to sell alcohol to a minor I always assumed it was a legal issue. Are you saying it's not?

Plus I found the below quote in Wiki. Not that I Wiki is an all reliable website but for the most part it provides interesting data. It seems to support what you were saying about it not being illegal. And that is brand new information for me.

The National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984 states that revenue will be withheld from states that allow the purchase of alcohol by anyone under the age of 21. Prior to the effective date of that Act, the drinking age varied from state to state. Some states do not allow those under the legal drinking age to be present in liquor stores or in bars (usually, the difference between a bar and a restaurant is whether food is being served). Contrary to popular belief, since the National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984, few states specifically prohibit minors' and young adults' consumption of alcohol in private settings. As of January 1, 2007, 14 states and the District of Columbia ban underage consumption outright, 19 states do not specifically ban underage consumption, and an additional 17 states have family member and/or location exceptions to their underage consumption laws.
Federal law explicitly provides for religious, medical, employment and private club possession exceptions; as of 2005, 31 states have family member and/or location exceptions to their underage possession laws.

Sweet Willy, you have brought up the point about a legal debate. I must have misunderstood things. I was under the impression that serving alcohol to people under the age of 21 was against the law? Have I been wrong all this time? I think this is something I would like to know more about.

In my state, if I had kids drinking that were under 21, I would be charged with contributing to the delinquency of minor plus the parents would be able to sue me in court and if 1 of those kids left my house and had an accident I could be indicted, fined and face jail time. Because of those reasons and the fact that it is illegal to sell alcohol to a minor I always assumed it was a legal issue. Are you saying it's not?

Plus I found the below quote in Wiki. Not that I Wiki is an all reliable website but for the most part it provides interesting data. It seems to support what you were saying about it not being illegal. And that is brand new information for me.

The National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984 states that revenue will be withheld from states that allow the purchase of alcohol by anyone under the age of 21. Prior to the effective date of that Act, the drinking age varied from state to state. Some states do not allow those under the legal drinking age to be present in liquor stores or in bars (usually, the difference between a bar and a restaurant is whether food is being served). Contrary to popular belief, since the National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984, few states specifically prohibit minors' and young adults' consumption of alcohol in private settings. As of January 1, 2007, 14 states and the District of Columbia ban underage consumption outright, 19 states do not specifically ban underage consumption, and an additional 17 states have family member and/or location exceptions to their underage consumption laws.
Federal law explicitly provides for religious, medical, employment and private club possession exceptions; as of 2005, 31 states have family member and/or location exceptions to their underage possession laws.

I'd say the Wiki article is spot on. There is no Federal "law", really. States set their own age to purchase or serve alcohol. Consumption is a relatively new thing and North Dakota seems to be one of the states that has consumption laws.

For a period of time, I know that NC had different purchase ages for beer and hard liquor. It was 18 / 21 then 19 / 21 and finally 21 for both.

Parents that get into trouble for giving alcohol to minors, I think you find, usually results from one of their childrens friends getting alcohol. There isn't a lot you can do about a parent giving (their own) kids alcohol. It may seem like a no brainer but it would open up all kinds of doors that I assure you, you wouldn't want open for the state to reach into your parenting.

Last edited:
And before anyone goes down the "state control" road, consider that if your state forbids the consumption of alcohol by minors and you are liable for any consumption you allow or cause, everytime you give your child certain cough medicine, you're a criminal. A slice of Rum cake? You're a criminal.

These laws then neccesitate other laws to clarify when you can give your child alcohol. And that makes loop holes. Or leaves them open so that if someone's kid crashes his bike after the parents gave him cough syrup, some dumb ass group would be there to claim you overdosed him with alcohol and you get to go to jail for breaking alcohol laws.

It is tough to imagine all the possible scenarios and unintended consequences of making stupid laws. But it happens all the time that someone is convicted on some dumb charge that really shouldn't have applied, but it did, and now it's too late so all we can do is change the law or make a new one so it doesn't happen anymore. But the people already convicted are screwed. Unless it's retroactive, which is rare.

I'd say the Wiki article is spot on. There is no Federal "law", really. States set their own age to purchase or serve alcohol. Consumption is a relatively new thing and North Dakota seems to be one of the states that has consumption laws.

For a period of time, I know that NC had different purchase ages for beer and hard liquor. It was 18 / 21 then 19 / 21 and finally 21 for both.

Parents that get into trouble for giving alcohol to minors, I think you find, usually results from one of their childrens friends getting alcohol. There isn't a lot you can do about a parent giving (their own) kids alcohol. It may seem like a no brainer but it would open up all kinds of doors that I assure you, you wouldn't want open for the state to reach into your parenting.

Already said that the law here hold the server, professional or otherwise, liable. Now there is an argument to be made that you'd much rather see your children at home, where you know where they are and what they're doing and who they're doing it with -- with they keys locked up. However, what was written in the OP was that there was a 10 drink max., which, as was pointed out, is some heavy drinking even for an adult -- and the "server" law would kick in as soon as the servee had obviously had "enough".

Already said that the law here hold the server, professional or otherwise, liable. Now there is an argument to be made that you'd much rather see your children at home, where you know where they are and what they're doing and who they're doing it with -- with they keys locked up. However, what was written in the OP was that there was a 10 drink max., which, as was pointed out, is some heavy drinking even for an adult -- and the "server" law would kick in as soon as the servee had obviously had "enough".

10 drinks? I don't know if that is heavy drinking. It is enough to intoxicate a person for sure. No danger of alcohol poisoning, I don't think. Looks to be legal and permitted by the parents. I don't see any gross negligence. I would think, although I don't know, that the individual parents have assumed liability by giving permission. If well supervised, I'd be willing to bet they'll all get hammered and have a blast. And then puke and have a hangover.

10 drinks would be a night of drinking but a celebration night like New Year or my birthday? Ten drinks is just the warm up. Considering I have no dangerous task to perform I might enjoy drinking until I get intimate with the floor. Or become really forward with some disinterested woman half my age.

Hooray!

10 drinks? I don't know if that is heavy drinking. It is enough to intoxicate a person for sure. No danger of alcohol poisoning, I don't think. Looks to be legal and permitted by the parents. I don't see any gross negligence. I would think, although I don't know, that the individual parents have assumed liability by giving permission. If well supervised, I'd be willing to bet they'll all get hammered and have a blast. And then puke and have a hangover.

10 drinks would be a night of drinking but a celebration night like New Year or my birthday? Ten drinks is just the warm up. Considering I have no dangerous task to perform I might enjoy drinking until I get intimate with the floor. Or become really forward with some disinterested woman half my age.

Hooray!

Yeah.... hooray....

Blood alcohol content or blood alcohol concentration (abbreviated BAC) is the concentration of alcohol in a person's blood. BAC is most commonly used as a metric of intoxication for legal or medical purposes. It is usually measured in terms of mass per volume, but can also be measured in terms of mass per mass. Blood alcohol concentration is given in many different units and notations, but they are all relatively synonymous with each other numerically.

The number of drinks consumed is a poor measure of BAC, largely because of variations in weight, sex, and body fat. However, it is generally accepted that the consumption from sober of one standard drink of alcohol (e.g. 14 grams (17.74 ml) ethanol content by U.S. standard) will increase the average person's BAC roughly 0.02% to 0.05% and would return to 0% about 1.5 to 3 hours later (at a dissipation rate of around 0.015% per hour).[citation needed]

At that rate, it would take 10-1/2 to 30 hours for a 180 lb. person to consume 10 drinks without going into a stupor (please see chart)

Blood alcohol content - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anything less than that may find them dead. Hooray....

Hooray!

Yeah.... hooray....

Blood alcohol content or blood alcohol concentration (abbreviated BAC) is the concentration of alcohol in a person's blood. BAC is most commonly used as a metric of intoxication for legal or medical purposes. It is usually measured in terms of mass per volume, but can also be measured in terms of mass per mass. Blood alcohol concentration is given in many different units and notations, but they are all relatively synonymous with each other numerically.

The number of drinks consumed is a poor measure of BAC, largely because of variations in weight, sex, and body fat. However, it is generally accepted that the consumption from sober of one standard drink of alcohol (e.g. 14 grams (17.74 ml) ethanol content by U.S. standard) will increase the average person's BAC roughly 0.02% to 0.05% and would return to 0% about 1.5 to 3 hours later (at a dissipation rate of around 0.015% per hour).[citation needed]

At that rate, it would take 10-1/2 to 30 hours for a 180 lb. person to consume 10 drinks without going into a stupor (please see chart)

I don't usually have any problem with Wiki except where it says (citation needed)

There is nothing illegal, the parents have consented. If you want to start a prohibition movement I guess you can.

Looking at the chart on your Wiki reference page, only females under 100lbs who consume all ten drinks at once risk a lethal dose of alcohol. The 180 pound person you referenced checks in at .21 and .25 BAC for males / females, drinking all ten drinks at once. If we follow the table instructions and subtract .01 BAC every 40 minutes of a 4 mhour party, That's .15 and .19 at the end of the night for the people who drink all ten drinks over the course of the party.

I'd say the biggest issue would the girls being drunker than the boys. Maybe someone gets lucky?

Hooray!

Yeah.... hooray....

I don't usually have any problem with Wiki except where it says (citation needed)

Choose another source. I'll wait.

There is nothing illegal, the parents have consented. If you want to start a prohibition movement I guess you can.

Not interested, nor am I interested in deflecting from this particular topic/subject. At issue is parental consent and the responsibility/liability that goes with it.

Looking at the chart on your Wiki reference page, only females under 100lbs who consume all ten drinks at once risk a lethal dose of alcohol. The 180 pound person you referenced checks in at .21 and .25 BAC for males / females, drinking all ten drinks at once. If we follow the table instructions and subtract .01 BAC every 40 minutes of a 4 mhour party, That's .15 and .19 at the end of the night for the people who drink all ten drinks over the course of the party.

I'd suggest that you look at the chart again. Up there in the top left-hand corner.... "Male/Female" is what is says. And I'd suggest that you check your math.

I'd say the biggest issue would the girls being drunker than the boys. Maybe someone gets lucky?

You enjoy being "flip"? Tell ya what.... Come back and talk to me when you grow up.

Hooray!

Yeah.... hooray....

Choose another source. I'll wait.

Not interested, nor am I interested in deflecting from this particular topic/subject. At issue is parental consent and the responsibility/liability that goes with it.

I'd suggest that you look at the chart again. Up there in the top left-hand corner.... "Male/Female" is what is says. And I'd suggest that you check your math.

You enjoy being "flip"? Tell ya what.... Come back and talk to me when you grow up.

There just isn't much to talk about. The parents consent, it is perfectly legal, the drinking is under supervision. I'm just fucking with you cause you've got a bee stuck in your bonnet about a perfectly legal and consented to activity. You have no standing to argue with it. Forbid your own kids, write a letter to the editor, pray for their everlasting souls, whatever. There is no legal argument and the only moral argument is one that most of us recognize is for the parents to make.

I think they're going to have a nice party. Good for them.

And by the way, it's not a 10 drink MINIMUM. I doubt any will make it that far before the adults cut them off.

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with 21 year old people drinking all they want, but suffer the consequences if they care carught DUI. There is definitely something wrong with adults sponsoring drinking parties with illegal teenagers. Believe it or not, teenagers can have fun at parties without drinking. If they can't, then they stay at home. *A teenage father*

There is nothing wrong with 21 year old people drinking all they want, but suffer the consequences if they care carught DUI. There is definitely something wrong with adults sponsoring drinking parties with illegal teenagers. Believe it or not, teenagers can have fun at parties without drinking. If they can't, then they stay at home. *A teenage father*

You are working with a false conclusion. There is nothing illegal about these teenagers drinking. They are perfectly legal to drink with their parents permission.

Forum List

Back