High School Graduation Party Allows Drinking For Teens

I'll merely say that in terms of policy formation, a model of encouraging moderate alcohol consumption from childhood seems an appropriate one; I don't support a minimum legal drinking age. It's somewhat absurd that biological adults should be prohibited from consuming alcohol, but adolescence as a whole has been a destructive social construct, in my view...

StandforLiberty - If you think letting a bunch of 15 and 16 year old kids have as many as 10 drinks openly in your home is a good thing I think you have oatmeal for brains. Be real.

Personally, I didn't think the idea was such a bad thing. At least I didn't until I read that they would be allowed up to ten drinks. Ten drinks is enough to throroughly waste most people, even adults. The problem with doing this, even with a lower limit, is that a lower limit would just encourage the kids to find a way to bring more booze of their own so they could get thoroughly wasted. And we're not talking about kids over 18; these are 14 and 15 year olds.

I think my biggest problem with our drinking laws is that we don't teach our kids how to drink responsibly. If there is anything that the Europeans do better than us, it would be in this area. Kids learn to drink responsibly. Drunk driving laws in Europe are much more strict than here in the US. If you get caught driving while intoxicated, you will almost certainly lose your license for at least one year, and possibly up to five. You almost certainly will receive a significant jail sentence, and last of all, you will pay a hefty fine.

The penalties are so severe that people generally go out to drink in groups, and they almost always have a designated driver. They still do have people who get arrested for DUI, but the rate is much lower than here in the US. Anyway, this is a bit off track, but I just think our drinking laws are a mess. I don't agree with letting high school kids drink, but I do think the drinking age should be reduced back to 18 again, with stiffer penalties to anyone receiving a DUI.

Personally, I didn't think the idea was such a bad thing. At least I didn't until I read that they would be allowed up to ten drinks. Ten drinks is enough to throroughly waste most people, even adults.

Absolutely agree with all of that!

The problem with doing this, even with a lower limit, is that a lower limit would just encourage the kids to find a way to bring more booze of their own so they could get thoroughly wasted. And we're not talking about kids over 18; these are 14 and 15 year olds.

The problem, as I see it, is, if the kids are determined to drink, they will find a way to do so -- raid an adult's stash, or find a friend of a friend to purchase it for them. Those kids are likely well on their way to alcoholism already, having already been sneaking it from their parents or their friends' parents. It's already become their "coping" mechanism.

I think my biggest problem with our drinking laws is that we don't teach our kids how to drink responsibly. If there is anything that the Europeans do better than us, it would be in this area. Kids learn to drink responsibly. Drunk driving laws in Europe are much more strict than here in the US. If you get caught driving while intoxicated, you will almost certainly lose your license for at least one year, and possibly up to five. You almost certainly will receive a significant jail sentence, and last of all, you will pay a hefty fine.

The penalties are so severe that people generally go out to drink in groups, and they almost always have a designated driver. They still do have people who get arrested for DUI, but the rate is much lower than here in the US. Anyway, this is a bit off track, but I just think our drinking laws are a mess. I don't agree with letting high school kids drink, but I do think the drinking age should be reduced back to 18 again, with stiffer penalties to anyone receiving a DUI.

The laws here in Jersey are pretty damned strict, and the driving test has a lot of focus on the penalties for DUI. Actually, that is not the cause for the higher teen accident rates here, though it is sometimes a factor.

What's interesting here is that the servers are held legally responsible for behavior by a person under the influence if "over served", yet these parents don't seem to have a problem accepting the responsibility for the serving. As you said, "10 drinks is enough to throroughly waste most people, even adults".

DUI's in america don't compare around the world. I know I got one. In the US we get off with a slap on the wrist the first time. Over there they go to jail and lose their license. In other countries 20 mile hikes are the sentence, in others death. Don't even try to say we have strict DUI laws.

I was pretty good about getting alcohol in HS and I was pretty determined, but there were still nights where we came up empty handed. It is harder to get a bottle of vodka than an ounce of marijuana or any other illicit drug when you're that age. High school for me was 2000-2004.

10 drinks over 10 hours = sober driver
So unless you have a time frame the 10 drink limit is unimportant

DUI's in america don't compare around the world. I know I got one. In the US we get off with a slap on the wrist the first time. Over there they go to jail and lose their license. In other countries 20 mile hikes are the sentence, in others death. Don't even try to say we have strict DUI laws.

Since I was specific about WHERE I was saying they were strict

DUI: Driving Under the Influence
The only scientific way to determine whether a driver is under the influence is through blood alcohol concentration (BAC). Your BAC can be tested with a simple Breathalyzer test.

In New Jersey, a person with a BAC of 0.08% or greater who operates a motor vehicle or a boat is considered to be driving under the influence (DUI).

Being convicted of a DUI is a serious offense, carrying heavy penalties including:
Fines, fees and surcharges
Jail time
Community service

Mandatory fines and penalties

Alcohol or drug related DUI with BAC of 0.10% or greater

License loss Fines, fees & surcharges Prison term Community service requirement
7 months–
1 year $300–$500 fine
$230 IDRC* fee
$100 to drunk driving fund
$100 to AERF*
$1,000/year (for 3 years) surcharge
$75 to Neighborhood Services Fund Up to 30 days 12–48 hours IDRC*

Alcohol or drug related DUI with BAC greater than 0.08% but less than 0.10%

License loss Fines, fees & surcharges Prison term Community service requirement
3 months $250–$400 fine
$230 IDRC* fee
$100 to AERF*
$75 to Neighborhood Services Fund Up to 30 days 12–48 hours IDRC*

Repeated DUI convictions

Offense License loss Fines, fees & surcharges Prison term Community service requirement
2nd offense within 10 years 2 years $500–$1,000 fine
$280 IDRC* fee
$100 to AERF*
$75 to Neighborhood Services Fund 48 hours–
90 days 30 days
and
12–48 hours IDRC*
3rd offense within 10 years of 2nd offense 10 years $1,000 fine
$280 IDRC* fee
$100 to AERF*
$1,500/year (for 3 years) surcharge
$75 to Neighborhood Services Fund 180 days Up to 90 days (can reduce period of imprisonment) and 12–48 hours IDRC*

Related Offenses

Driving or riding with an open container

Offense Fines Community service
1st $200 –
2nd $250 10 days

Driving with a DUI suspension

License loss Fines or surcharges Prison term
Additional
1–2 years $500 fine
$250/year (for 3 years) surcharge 10–90 days

Driving while possessing drugs

License loss Fines or surcharges
2 years Minimum $50 fine

Driving while possessing drugs

License loss Fines or surcharges
2 years Minimum $50 fine

Notes:
*IDRC - Intoxicated Driver Resource Center
*AERF - Alcohol Education and Rehabilitation Fund
Underage drinking may cause a six-month delay in getting a license
Alcohol and drug-related offenses require completion of an alcohol screening and evaluation program

Failure to pay DUI surcharges will result in
Indefinite suspension of driving privileges
Action filed in State Superior Court by MVC. This may include securing a lien against your property, garnishing your wages or other similar action
State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission

You want to add a 20-mile hike? No problem, but don't you think the punishment should fit the crime?

StandforLiberty - If you think letting a bunch of 15 and 16 year old kids have as many as 10 drinks openly in your home is a good thing I think you have oatmeal for brains. Be real.

Did I say that ? perhaps you should go back and read what I posted and what I quoted AGAIN.
:cool:

Personally, I didn't think the idea was such a bad thing. At least I didn't until I read that they would be allowed up to ten drinks. Ten drinks is enough to throroughly waste most people, even adults. The problem with doing this, even with a lower limit, is that a lower limit would just encourage the kids to find a way to bring more booze of their own so they could get thoroughly wasted. And we're not talking about kids over 18; these are 14 and 15 year olds.

Auditor - how old are your kids?

And also, the law in Sasketchewan allows for minors to drink with parental permission.

There is nothing illegal going on here.

Let me help you guys and gals:

"Gee, thanks for getting that straight Willy. We were going on and on about something we were woefully misinformed about. "

No problem. Anytime.

Since I was specific about WHERE I was saying they were strict

In New Jersey etc. etc. etc.

State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission

You want to add a 20-mile hike? No problem, but don't you think the punishment should fit the crime?

the hike is turkey and the death sentence is costa rica

those are the maximum fines most first offenses are reduced.

You live here do ya? And you failed to answer my question.

I do believe that the punishment should fit the crime. when someone is getting 3+ DUIs and still has a license, to me it means the laws here are ineffective and proves my point that other nations are much harsher on DUI offenders.

the 5+ DUI comment stems from a case here in Morgantown, WV where a man had 3 DUIs and lost his license in WV, but got a PA license anyway. his 5th DUI he killed several people.

Man Charged In W. Va. Crash Had Long DUI Record - kdka.com

it's not the best article as far as how many DUIs he had but it tells the basics

Let me help you guys and gals:

"Gee, thanks for getting that straight Willy. We were going on and on about something we were woefully misinformed about. "

No problem. Anytime.

Gee thanks for clearing that up Willy. We were going on and on about something that doesn't even concern us. Although that may change if we all indeed become citizens of the world. Anyway thanks for letting us know it was Canada and in Canada it is indeed legal for kids to drink underages when supervised by the parents. That ND news link sure was confusing, you might have thought they mentioned the location, I just assumed since they didn't it was a local school. Thanks again for clearing that up, nice investigative work. :clap2:

At least it opened up the story for discussion. I still think 15 and 16 is to young to drink. I don't think it's fair that at age 18 you are allowed to fight in a war but not drink in a bar or at age 18 I can't find out any medical information for my child even though it's my health insurance paying for it, damn HIPAA laws, but yet I can be forced to pay for same childs education until they are 23, yet the school is not allowed to give me any information on said childs grades even though I write the check, the laws of when a child is an adult are all screwed up.

It's a stupid law, anyway. And you know that they will drink EITHER WAY.

Didn't have this problem when I graduated, everybody drank together before during and after the ceremony, because this is a normal 18+ country. But even my friends in the states, as soon as graduation ended, went over to a hotel and got absolutely hammered.

By that logic... it's stupid to have a law against murder.. people are going to commit murder anyway.. same with theft, or solicitation, or whatever else

Forum List

Back