High Resolution Photos of Fukushima Nuclear Reactor Damage

Mad Scientist

Feels Good!
Sep 15, 2008
Remote Controlled drone aircraft photos of the reactor plant damage. I'm posting this because it seems most News outlets are looping video of an undamaged nuclear reactor and far away shots of the damaged reactors.

Links to more pics are on the site as well as a YouTube video of it. There is also a link to a zip file of even higher resolution pics.

There are even pics showing the inside of the buildings to include what looks like control centers.

Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Plant Hi-Res Photos

Last edited:
One thing you get from the photgraphs is that the containments used in Japan do not appear to be anywhere near as robust as the ones used in the US. I know it is a function of a BWR vs. a PWR, but at least those big ass domes over US reactors look more substantial. From the photographs you cant really even see the containment due to all the debris from the weather buildings.

One thing you get from the photgraphs is that the containments used in Japan do not appear to be anywhere near as robust as the ones used in the US. I know it is a function of a BWR vs. a PWR, but at least those big ass domes over US reactors look more substantial. From the photographs you cant really even see the containment due to all the debris from the weather buildings.

are you saying american nuclear reactors are safer?

• Thanks
Reactions: Cal

I think the secondary containment structures are more robust by code. Also PWR's use a second coolant loop, with heat exchangers, as opposed to a single coolant flow that boils to provide steam power.

I need to review the plans for the BWR's used in Japan vs the PWR's in the US to be sure.

I think the secondary containment structures are more robust by code. Also PWR's use a second coolant loop, with heat exchangers, as opposed to a single coolant flow that boils to provide steam power.

I need to review the plans for the BWR's used in Japan vs the PWR's in the US to be sure.
From what I understand, the Fukushima reactor design is about 40 years old?
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...+BWR&qpvt=Japan+Nuclear+Reactor+BWR&FORM=IGRE

And just to show how stupid and out of touch TEPCO (The People who run the site) really are, they apparently submitted plans to build two more reactors at the Fukushima site, AFTER THE EARTHQUAKE AND TSUNAMI! :eek:

Japan Nuclear Reactor BWR - Bing Images

And just to show how stupid and out of touch TEPCO (The People who run the site) really are, they apparently submitted plans to build two more reactors at the Fukushima site, AFTER THE EARTHQUAKE AND TSUNAMI! :eek:

Those reactors were in planning well before the quake. In fact, the oldest two reactors were due for decomissioning at the end of March 2011.

Japan Nuclear Reactor BWR - Bing Images

Ouch! I didn't know that.

BTW, I'm concerned about the radiation levels and just read an article about it:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/environment/162190-fukushima-radiation-is-perfectly-safe-for-ya-nothing-to-see-here.html

Not sure how valid it is, though.

New Topics

Forum List

Back