High Gas Prices Caused the Great Recession not Wall Street and the Housing Bubble

Syphon

Rookie
Feb 22, 2012
Santorum: High gas prices caused the recession – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

- Rick Santorum argued Monday that it was high gas prices, not dubious lending practices or complex Wall Street trades, which torpedoed the housing market in 2008 and brought on the current prolonged economic slump.

"We need to look at the situation with gas prices today," Santorum said. "We went into a recession in 2008 because of gasoline prices. The bubble burst in housing because people couldn't pay their mortgages because they were looking at $4 a gallon gasoline."

and this guy thinks he qualified to be president?? :cuckoo:

Well that's a new one. Some decent spin by his people. I doubt it will help or hurt him, though.

Starting tomorrow all the focus will be on the winners in Arizona and especially Michigan. This little line will be a complete afterthought after Tuesday's all-day primary coverage.

Instead he will be busy trying to explain away a close loss in Michigan and a decisive loss in Arizona.

• Banned
Well that's a new one. Some decent spin by his people. I doubt it will help or hurt him, though.

Starting tomorrow all the focus will be on the winners in Arizona and especially Michigan. This little line will be a complete afterthought after Tuesday's all-day primary coverage.

Instead he will be busy trying to explain away a close loss in Michigan and a decisive loss in Arizona.
just when you think youve hear the most ridiculous thing Santorum could say, he reaches back and spews this little gem out of his mouth.

this guy is a comedians dream.....

Last edited:
High Gas Prices Caused the Great Recession not Wall Street and the Housing Bubble

I think it might be not unreasonable to say that the spiking in gas prices from 2004 through 2008 probably kicked off the recession.

But had those prices spoiled and the RE market NOT been so overpriced and had the BANSTRS not been sitting up their own customers to take a fall?

The spiking gas prices of that period would NOT have caused the mess they HELPED kick off.

FWIW, if the current spike in energy prices continues?

I suspect this economy is going to tank again.

Last edited:
So now what?

Occupy the local gas station?

well at least they've ciggies & booze....

~S~

The GOP leaders are frantically scrambling with these two idiots in the forefront: Medieval Man and MittBot. "I'll bet $10,000" that they are massaging Jeb Bush as we speak to jump into the race and keep the Republicans from imploding.

I think it might be not unreasonable to say that the spiking in gas prices from 2004 through 2008 probably kicked off the recession.

But had those prices spoiled and the RE market NOT been so overpriced and had the BANSTRS not been sitting up their own customers to take a fall?

The spiking gas prices of that period would NOT have caused the mess they HELPED kick off.

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD

The lefty k00ks on here will say ANYTHING!!!

Funny though...........here in New York, every time I have to fill up my high powered Mustang with 93 octane at $4.39/gallon, its bittersweet because though it drains my wallet, when I finally top it off I realize this fraud of a president is going down in just a few months FTMFW!!! LMAO>.......and people probably wonder why is that guy doing a burnout right out of the gas station.

Last edited:
The GOP leaders are frantically scrambling with these two idiots in the forefront: Medieval Man and MittBot. "I'll bet $10,000" that they are massaging Jeb Bush as we speak to jump into the race and keep the Republicans from imploding.

I'll take that bet. No one else is going to enter into a primary that is almost up. The name of the GOP primary game, is delegates. Anyone who jumps in now would put themselves at a major disadvantage. All it would be for is the pony show.

Mitt and Ron Paul are the horses IN this race. Paying attention to Santorum is simply comedy relief.

I'll take that bet. No one else is going to enter into a primary that is almost up. The name of the GOP primary game, is delegates. Anyone who jumps in now would put themselves at a major disadvantage. All it would be for is the pony show.

Mitt and Ron Paul are the horses IN this race. Paying attention to Santorum is simply comedy relief.
probably gonna be a brokered convention anyways.

Sadly, there are people stupid enough to believe Santorum when he says gas prices caused the global credit crisis. After all, they also believe the CRA caused crazy Irishmen and Icelanders and Spaniards to buy houses at inflated prices. And they are able to hold several contradictory thoughts at the same time when they believe a Muslim attended a radical Christian preacher's church in Chicago.

These are the dull proles of Orwell's nightmares.

And there is not going to be a brokered convention. And Jeb Bush is not going to leap into the race in electric tights and a cape. Neither is Sarah Palin.

This is real. This is happening. Get used to it.

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD

The lefty k00ks on here will say ANYTHING!!!

Funny though...........here in New York, every time I have to fill up my high powered Mustang with 93 octane at $4.39/gallon, its bittersweet because though it drains my wallet, when I finally top it off I realize this fraud of a president is going down in just a few months FTMFW!!! LMAO>.......and people probably wonder why is that guy doing a burnout right out of the gas station.

When you (finally) advance to High School, I hope some kind o' creative-writing courses are available, to you. You've definitely got the imagination-end covered, but.....maybe maturity (or, whatever maturity you can manage) will make your efforts more-believable.​

Um Could you please tell us when it un-tanked ?:lol::confused:

I hope Santorum continues to push his agenda onto the GOP, making them unelectable.
Unless you think women who use birth control forgot being called a SLUT by CONZ most prominent orator.

....And, it might be not unreasonable to say that Ricky "The Spaz".....

santorum_richard.jpg

....has (pretty-much) spent his entire-life, trying not to sound like a needy, spastic, voluntarily-uninformed, little dork.....quite unsuccessfully.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKKvMJeBBSA]Q&A: Leslie & Andrew Cockburn - YouTube[/ame]

See: 5:00 thru 12:00

(....And, give Ricky a call.)​

Last edited:
Santorum: High gas prices caused the recession – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

- Rick Santorum argued Monday that it was high gas prices, not dubious lending practices or complex Wall Street trades, which torpedoed the housing market in 2008 and brought on the current prolonged economic slump.

"We need to look at the situation with gas prices today," Santorum said. "We went into a recession in 2008 because of gasoline prices. The bubble burst in housing because people couldn't pay their mortgages because they were looking at $4 a gallon gasoline."

and this guy thinks he qualified to be president?? :cuckoo:

I think there's some truth to his observation that the spike in gas prices kicked off the resulting real estate crash-> Banksters' crash -> stock market crash -> world real esate crash -> worldwide rescession.

I mean if the economy hadn't already been set up to fail, the spiking gas prices would have come and gone, but I do think that Creepy Ricky's point that the spike in gas prices PREDEEDED and contributed to the CRASH is basically correct.

He's wrong if he thinks that the ONLY reason the economy collapsed, of course.

CRA.
Democrats suddenly came up with the idea during the Carter and Clinton eras that prudent lending was inherently racist and made CRA the law of the land. The same law that allowed Barack Obama and Andrew Cuomo to both separately sue CitiBank for not making enough loans that the bank knew couldn't be repaid, in a kind of feeding frenzy by human legal sharks. Citi is still so bad as the result of their conjoined efforts that it still couldn't pass the recent stress tests.
When you're listening to radio advertisements at the time of mortgages available with no money down, no income documentation, no principle payment, no skin in the game, buy a house, sit on it for four months and sell it for a hundred grand profit, anyone with any sense had to know the financial sh!t is going to hit the fans very, very soon and they'd better stop playing that game of financial musical chairs they're in and get out, quick!

Forum List

Back