hidden partition. how do i reload my comp?

I used to be a Sys admin years ago...I have seen some winners before.
One of my personal favorites.... My phone rings and it is a new sales guy who tells me his computer doesn't do anything after he turns it on. So I walk up there and turn the computer on and it starts booting up fine. He looks at me with this incredulous look...it is at that moment I realized the "problem"...he was turning the monitor off and on.

No sh*t...this actually happened.

I've gotten that one lots. Here's another:

"My computer shuts off when I get coffee."

"It has nothing to do with coffee."

"Well every time I leave the room it shuts off and I have to wait 10 minutes for it to start again."

<20 minutes of checking the computer>

"Ok, look it really is working. Now let's go get some coffee and see what it does."

<client turns off the light switch>

"AH HA!!"

I used to be a Sys admin years ago...I have seen some winners before.
Everything you knew is obsolete.

Well, PEBKAC is still a problem

Not so much, hardware hasn't changed much at all - just smaller and faster...but the same components. Same with networking.

What I don't know, and don't really care to, is DOS commands that I use to know.
Now I run linux on every computer I have, and spread open source wherever I can.

I'm too lazy to learn Linux

I already learned DOS once

you are loosing me. how do i enter boot menu, or set up menu?

What make and model is your OEM computer?

HP compaq presario. OEM? you mean windows vista?

OEM is the Original Entry Manufacturer which is the HP/Compaq Presario.

Restart the machine and at the Compaq screen, press F10 key repeatedly until the recovery screen comes up.

Now you may well have an option between a Non-Destructive System Restore and Full System Restore.

If you have the Non-Destructive System Restore option or an option similar I would suggest trying this option first.

This can resolve a lot of Windows related issues without erasing of your personal data such as family photos.

For more serious issues or if the non-destructive option doesn't work do a Full System Restore. This will delete all files on your computer however will resolve any software issue your computer has and if you don't have that option, then just go through with the singular restore option.

Click

Yes, that's a better definition. Entry is global as OEM does not always relate to equipment but the entry of distribution.

So, in this case, equipment would be a better definition, but a download of software digits would follow the entry designation.

As I said, in this case you are correct.

Start >accessories >system tools> system restore.

That's the Windows Restore Function Mr. Fitnah, and useful for short and moderate event issues in a short or moderate time frame.

Windows updates and Service packs can and do often remove previous restore points denying an ability to generally and incrementally 'step backwards'.

The Windows Restore Function is not the same thing as restoring the actual OEM installation of the system to factory default. Nor is it the same as a non destructive (non format) which saves personal data, but removes the original operating system, and programs in order to install a new operating system.

The OP was requesting an OEM restore.

I've never seen a system that came both with a restore partition and a set of restore CDs. I also have never seen a user who is too inept to understand insert recovery CD1 into drive shut off computer, turn computer back on, follow on screen instructions.

Therefor I conclude that the OP is pulling legs.

Forum List

Back