hidden partition. how do i reload my comp?

Holy mother of...

[[[[[[[ STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER ]]]]]]]]]

[[[[[[[ UNPLUG THE POWER CABLE FROM THE COMPUTER ]]]]]]]

[[[[[[ TAKE COMPUTER TO A COHERENT TECHNICIAN, OR SOMEONE WHO CAN FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS]]]]

[[[[ THAT IS ALL, HAVE A GOOD DAY ]]]]]]]]]]

yeah, the computer could explode, right?

shut up, idiot.

Could lose all data. Depending on whether it's an install or a recovery disk and the specifics of its nature, could get a Hebrew installation or ruin the boot sektor.

We know nothing about exactly what disks the OP has- same goes for the OP, it would seem

Personally, i hate recovery disks. I'd rather have the install disk for the OpSys and any mirrors I've made since then.

"put the disc in while im using the comp, then turn the comp off, then turn the comp back on?"

that is exactly what i am saying.

forget about the hidden partition.
You make certain assumptions regarding his boot order.

My machine, for instance, boots from HDD0 first, unless I hit any key when prompted to[upon detection of bootable removable media)

already addressed and as you have already seen, it has to be kept simple. baby steps

Step 1: pick up phone

Step 2: call computer store

Step 3: donate computer

Step 4: learn how to use the big kids toilet and go from there

I used to be a Sys admin years ago...I have seen some winners before.
One of my personal favorites.... My phone rings and it is a new sales guy who tells me his computer doesn't do anything after he turns it on. So I walk up there and turn the computer on and it starts booting up fine. He looks at me with this incredulous look...it is at that moment I realized the "problem"...he was turning the monitor off and on.

No sh*t...this actually happened.

Last edited:
Holy mother of...

[[[[[[[ STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER ]]]]]]]]]

[[[[[[[ UNPLUG THE POWER CABLE FROM THE COMPUTER ]]]]]]]

[[[[[[ TAKE COMPUTER TO A COHERENT TECHNICIAN, OR SOMEONE WHO CAN FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS]]]]

[[[[ THAT IS ALL, HAVE A GOOD DAY ]]]]]]]]]]

yeah, the computer could explode, right?

shut up, idiot.

Could lose all data. Depending on whether it's an install or a recovery disk and the specifics of its nature, could get a Hebrew installation or ruin the boot sektor.

We know nothing about exactly what disks the OP has- same goes for the OP, it would seem

Personally, i hate recovery disks. I'd rather have the install disk for the OpSys and any mirrors I've made since then.

hahaha,

you think the OP is concerned about data?

"it was wiped clean and reloaded from this hidden partition"

a clean sweep is intended.

Here you go. Ask Bill.

z-2391.jpg

last year a friend of mine came over and reloaded my computer because it was running slow. hs said he could do it from a hidden partition. it was wiped clean and reloaded from this hidden partition. where can i find this on the comp and how does it work? i have windows vista and i watched him do it but cant remember how he got there.

You have to calm down, and tell us what your computer is doing, or not doing?

I do not know Windows Vista

But I hit F8 when I first turn the computer on and then that will show up for you and you then highlight one of the 3 options it gives, you have to use the arrow keys to highlight the options

1) log off/ shut down computer
2) Safe mode restart hit F8 immediately afew times at restart
3) scroll to safe mode with networking, click

Or click here Getting into Windows Safe Mode

last year a friend of mine came over and reloaded my computer because it was running slow. hs said he could do it from a hidden partition. it was wiped clean and reloaded from this hidden partition. where can i find this on the comp and how does it work? i have windows vista and i watched him do it but cant remember how he got there.

It's like XP, except it has Windowblinds already installed, takes three times the hardware and feels half as reliable.
But I hit F8 when I first turn the computer on and then that will show up for you and you then highlight one of the 3 options it gives, you have to use the arrow keys to highlight the options
It caries based on who made the mobo

He needs to interrupt boot before that- before Windows is involved, when we're dealing with the BIOS. He needs to tell it to load from (presumably) Partition 0, instead of Partition 1- assuming the recovery sector is placed before his main OpSys.

There's a bunch of technical jargon for this, but I never learned it. I know what to look for and recognize the terms when i see them.

I've seen the esc , alt, f1, f5, f10, and f12 keys used to this many times. It it's set to show all stages of the POST, it'll be easier. Else he might have a small window of opportunity and have to restart a few times until he gets the timing right.

Last edited:

It's like XP, except it has Windowblinds already installed, takes three times the hardware and feels half as reliable.
It caries based on who made the mobo

He needs to interrupt boot before that- before Windows is involved, when we're dealing with the BIOS. He needs to tell it to load from (presumably) Partition 0, instead of Partition 1- assuming the recovery sector is placed before his main OpSys.

There's a bunch of technical jargon for this, but I never learned it. I know what to look for and recognize the terms when i see them.

I've seen the esc , alt, f1, f5, f10, and f12 keys used to this many times. It it's set to show all stages of the POST, it'll be easier. Else he might have a small window of opportunity and have to restart a few times until he gets the timing right.

you are saying the same shit i was posting hours ago.

just with a lot of more volume.

congrats

I do not think he will make it thru a system reload.

And yes I have worked tech support for a few different systems.
I was once a technical support supervisor and even a manager.

It's been said about a half-dozen times already. In the unlikely event that we;re dealing with a genuine retard and not some bored kid trolling the computer section of a random forum, it doesn't matter how many times or ways it's said- they aint gonna get it.

Reloading Windows is nothing. It's when my D:/ drive gets jacked and I have no usable backups that I get mad.

Depends on glitches with drivers or new hdwe that was installed.

In theory it is smooth.
Honestly though I have not done it with anything beyond XP. MIght be smooth now, miracles do happen I suppose :)

I keep my data backed up on different server that is only connected when backing up or running viriuscheck or somesuch.

Last edited:
I set windows up once. Then I mirror the fucker. Then I burn a disk with the installers for every program I use.

To date, the only drivers issues have involved laptops. Fucking bastard nazi **** asshole computer companies don't want to give a fucking windows disk and drivers disk anymore. Now you get a 'recovery disk' full of goddamn bloatware you don't want and setting already all fucked up so it takes longer to make things work right after it boots than it did to restore it back the crappy fresh-outta-the-box state :evil:

or

You get no disk at all- just a 'recovery partition' that guarantees you're fucked if your hard disk fails because when you try to use the new restore disk you burned with their software, it sees the new drive (let alone any other changes you've made) and declares the computer to not be the same one it was made for and won't install because they say you're stealing the operating system and you give up and just install Linux Mint and take solace in the fact that Bill Gates will burn in hell :evil:

I set windows up once. Then I mirror the fucker. Then I burn a disk with the installers for every program I use.

To date, the only drivers issues have involved laptops. Fucking bastard nazi **** asshole computer companies don't want to give a fucking windows disk and drivers disk anymore. Now you get a 'recovery disk' full of goddamn bloatware you don't want and setting already all fucked up so it takes longer to make things work right after it boots than it did to restore it back the crappy fresh-outta-the-box state :evil:

or

You get no disk at all- just a 'recovery partition' that guarantees you're fucked if your hard disk fails because when you try to use the new restore disk you burned with their software, it sees the new drive (let alone any other changes you've made) and declares the computer to not be the same one it was made for and won't install because they say you're stealing the operating system and you give up and just install Linux Mint and take solace in the fact that Bill Gates will burn in hell :evil:
10/Julia here. Dual boot with Vector 6 XFCE...............Life B a bitch.
murkins LOVE Windows.It wont be long they'll jump out of any window they see.

i understand what you are saying. i just want to do it right. when do i put the 1st disc in? is it too hard to give me the steps?

what do you mean restart?? i know the hidden partition is there.

In all seriousness, take your computer to a repair shop if you don't know how to find the recovery partition. Even if you were walked step by step on how to "find" it, you'd still be presented with options that you wouldn't understand and then you'd have to have a professional repair your computer anyway.

This is why I don't do tech support over the phone.

dude, she has the recovery disks and just needs to put them in.

i basically agree. and i usually say: install ubuntu, but in this case a little encouragement could go a long way.

Been there done that. She's going to end up with a doorstop, IMO.

I used to be a Sys admin years ago...I have seen some winners before.
Everything you knew is obsolete.

Well, PEBKAC is still a problem

Not so much, hardware hasn't changed much at all - just smaller and faster...but the same components. Same with networking.

What I don't know, and don't really care to, is DOS commands that I use to know.
Now I run linux on every computer I have, and spread open source wherever I can.

Forum List

Back