Hi

anya

Rookie
Dec 28, 2012
Ex-Republican, newly Independent/non-affiliated conservative, currently trending moderate. In other words, I'm lost in the political jungle.

I'm not as far right as I once was. The move began when I finally came to the conclusion the Iraq war was not a just war, gradually began to realize the GOP was full of empty rhetoric, and continued when I stopped listening to talk radio and became more willing to take my fingers out of my ears and hear both sides of the issues - and found out that conservatives don't always have all the answers even if I really, really wanted them to have all the answers.

So that's why I'm here: in pursuit of truth where it may be found, understanding that it's not always where I thought it would be. It may not be here either. Time will tell. :)

Hello, anya!

You seem to be able to construct complete sentences and operate a spell-check. So far, so good..... Welcome to the playground.

Hello, anya!

You seem to be able to construct complete sentences and operate a spell-check. So far, so good..... Welcome to the playground.

I manage an okay stumble across the keyboard if I've had my coffee. Thanks for the welcome. :)

Ex-Republican, newly Independent/non-affiliated conservative, currently trending moderate. In other words, I'm lost in the political jungle.

I'm not as far right as I once was. The move began when I finally came to the conclusion the Iraq war was not a just war, gradually began to realize the GOP was full of empty rhetoric, and continued when I stopped listening to talk radio and became more willing to take my fingers out of my ears and hear both sides of the issues - and found out that conservatives don't always have all the answers even if I really, really wanted them to have all the answers.

So that's why I'm here: in pursuit of truth where it may be found, understanding that it's not always where I thought it would be. It may not be here either. Time will tell. :)

Why was Iraq not a just war??? Please don't say "no wmd"...you would be wrong.

No, I'm not going to say "no wmd."

Just War Theory has two sets of criteria. The first establishing jus ad bellum, the right to go to war; the second establishing jus in bello, right conduct within war.

jus ad bellum:

Just cause

Comparative justice

Competent authority

Right intention

Probability of success

Last resort

Proportionality

I can't post URLs until I have 15 posts, but the explanation of each of the criteria can be found at wiki under Just War Theory.

Invite her to a thread. Please don't bait her on her intro.

That sounds so freaking normal! And your welcome for the welcome. Thank you for the thank you.

Normal isn't a rarity around here is it? (Maybe there's still time for me to find my way back out...)

Welcome anya!

A similar thing happened to me after a tour in the Marine Corps, the collapse of Saigon and the slaughter in Cambodia. My first two votes for President were for Nixon and I remember working in a Research Center at the time and was astonished that a President would lie to me.

The good thing about disillusionment is it only last so long. I can't give you God Speed without knowing your direction, but I will give you God Bless.

Forum List

Back