Hi

pretender

Dec 3, 2004
First...... Hi everyone I am new to this board and read it a lot before joining. This is the first forum that I have come across that has a home improvement section. I have become a home improvement junkie. After my divorce I moved and bought a home that was a bit of a fixer upper. I didn't know it was a bit of a fixer upper at the time but as time goes by little things keep needing fixed. I also want to make impovements and add-ons. I have bought many tools over the years for my x husband but they went with him after the divorce so I am now tool-less. I am trying to restock because I have learned that with the right tool you can do most anything. I am a decorater at heart but with that comes construction some times.

Now, I have decided I want a tool for Christmas. I do some stuff by myself but mostly hire a contractor but with the cost of contractors I have decided to do more myself. I was thinking of a saw. I have a circular saw but cutting a straight line with it is hard for me. I am either thinking of a table saw or one of those saws that cut angles and slides. I don't know what it is called.

My question is which do you think I would I get the most use out of, because I can only get one at this time? Which would be the first that I need to buy?

I know it depends on what I want to do but which could I do the most with? I am not a girl trying to do a mans job just a girl trying to save some bucks. :D

Hey pretender, welcome!

I presonally cannot use saws to save my life. But I know there are some home improvement types on here that can help! :thup:

Welcome, Pretender

I'd suggest a cordless DeWalt tool kit that has a drill and circular saw. They're very handy around the house and the battery life on DeWalts are impressive. You can get a cheaper kit than DeWalt, but the battery life on the cheaper ones are dismal at best.

There's a very nice one that also has a Saws-All in it, not sure if you need something like that but they're very handy for cutting almost anything you could imagine.

Thanks everyone.

Boyfriends, husbands, men in general are too much trouble Mr. P. They have this problem of wanting to do things when they want to do them .. not when I want them done. ;) LOL But if you know one send him my way, maybe I can train him....... j/k.

annnnnnnddddddd.... I like to do some improvements and when working with a man I can't keep my mind on work. There is nothing sexer than a man in jeans, work boots and a tool belt. And oh my goodness if he takes his shirt off, well work is over.

Thanks Sir Evil I was leaning more toward the table saw. Gop, I don't know how to use a saw either, but I am willing to learn.

Table saw it is, hope you don't mind if I ask some questions from time to time. My mom always told me the only stupid question is one you don't ask. Yep, I think I will like it here. Thanks again for the welcome.

NightTrain said:
Welcome, Pretender

I'd suggest a cordless DeWalt tool kit that has a drill and circular saw. They're very handy around the house and the battery life on DeWalts are impressive. You can get a cheaper kit than DeWalt, but the battery life on the cheaper ones are dismal at best.

There's a very nice one that also has a Saws-All in it, not sure if you need something like that but they're very handy for cutting almost anything you could imagine.

I have a drill and a circular saw night train. I have actually been collecting for a couple of years now. Mine are both electric however. I get everything electric even my mower because I can't pull the thing to crank it. Learned that the hard way. Bought a gas powered trimmer and it is hanging in the storage building because I can't crank it. I haven't tried the battery operated tools yet, but I will keep them in mind when buying future tools. Thanks!

pretender said:
There is nothing sexer than a man in jeans, work boots and a tool belt. And oh my goodness if he takes his shirt off, well work is over.
Isn't that the truth!!! Holy hell!! :D

Welcome Pretender!!!

pretender said:
The thought of it is making my heart race. :clap1: LOL
Oh Lord and if he's sweating. The sweet smell of a working man's sweat, LOL!!! Sexy!!! :D

I have one of those Mitre Saws. It is very useful especially when trimming the walls of the house. The manual versions suck to use and I don't recommend even trying.

Well, I have a variety of saws, use all of them at one time or another. I think you will find as you become more accustomed to working with power tools that even the circular saw you own now will become more useful to you. I assume that you are not planning to build a house from scratch based on your statement procaliming yourself a home decorator. I would think that a table or radial arm saw would be easier and more accurate for you, at least initially.

Welcome to the board.

Just so all you ladies know: I sweat like a pig, wear jeans, and have several tool belts. Of course you can't see the tool belt because of the massive 80 pound gut hanging over it and sometimes the odor of my own sweat knocks me dizzy...but hey....

This is Home Improvement, not the Adult forum. There are innocent people around here. You ladies stop that. :) I shall read this over and over and.......

Welcome. Pretender.

Joz said:
This is Home Improvement, not the Adult forum. There are innocent people around here. You ladies stop that. :) I shall read this over and over and.......

Welcome. Pretender.
Hehehehehe...Joz is still lookin for that perfect tool!..No not that one...You know, the one to make things square.:D

Did ya ever get that worked out Joz?

Mr. P said:
Hehehehehe...Joz is still lookin for that perfect tool!..No not that one...You know, the one to make things square.:D

Did ya ever get that worked out Joz?[/QUOTE]LOL! At first I tho't I had, because there is no guide on the sander plate. So, I tho't I was just putting pressure unevely on the wood. But if there's a line drawn...... my ex has since said it VERY easy to mess up getting something square. Just gotta practice. He has many years behind him. One of the best carpenters around.
There is a new tool called aSquare from C. H. Hanson Company. Comes in 7" and 12". <- (don't even go there about the size :) )

LOL! At first I tho't I had, because there is no guide on the sander plate. So, I tho't I was just putting pressure unevely on the wood. But if there's a line drawn...... my ex has since said it VERY easy to mess up getting something square. Just gotta practice. He has many years behind him. One of the best carpenters around.
There is a new tool called aSquare from C. H. Hanson Company. Comes in 7" and 12". <- (don't even go there about the size )
Hahahaha...I won't...

Put a guide on that table joz...a piece of wood a clamp that's it....

Joz said:
There is a new tool called aSquare from C. H. Hanson Company. Comes in 7" and 12". <- (don't even go there about the size :) )

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

hi pretender,

i have all three of the saws you described
i understand you have a circular saw a work bench a few clamps and a 6' steel straight edge will acomplish a lot of the same functions as a table saw

i would spring for the compound mitre saw very good fro trim etc..

good luck

Forum List

Back