Hi

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Gentle Storm, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Gentle Storm

Gentle Storm Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hello. I'm a freaked out mom because my son is joining the marines, so I was surfing the net looking for information about it and this site came up.

I have so much to learn. Not sure how I feel about any of it.

I'm proud but also freaked that my kid will be in a unit at Obama's whim.

I would have said disposal but I'm just too sick about it.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  2. zzzz

zzzz Just a regular American

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +429
    Welcome. Being freaked out because your son is going to the Marines is understandable. The officers who are in charge of our military play a very big part of when the military is used and how. They do not take that responsibility lightly. Sure your son may be placed in hostile places, a Marine after all is prepositioned to be the first called, but the Marines will make him a man.

Furthermore I do not think Obama has the political capitol to commit forces to another war without unless we or our allies are attacked.

3. MikeK

MikeK Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,713
    I joined the Marine Corps in 1956 when it was still considered an obligation and it was valid to say I did it to defend my country. That concept is no longer vaild.

If your son joins the Marines he will be serving his government, which presently serves an emerging corporatocracy. If your son joins the Marines the price he could pay for that machismo could be his life or his limbs -- and he would not be serving his country because his country is not at war and its military is being gravely misused.

If I had a son I would tell him to stand off and wait to do what my father and uncle did, which was enlist when their country was legitimately under attack in 1941.

4. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Welcome to the forum and say thanks to your son for joining up.

5. daveman

daveman Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,758
    Welcome, GS. My thanks to your son for his service.

You're going to hear a lot of bullshit about the military here. Pay it no mind.

6. MikeK

MikeK Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,713
    Thanking others for their service is a nice way of saying better you than me.

What mothers of prospective soldiers need to do is talk with mothers of sons who have been killed or maimed in Iraq or Afghanistan (or Vietnam) and ask them what it was for.

7. Gentle Storm

Gentle Storm Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks everyone.

I know what you mean. America needs a strong presence and I've always been grateful to those who served. My kids have watched me thank veterans all their lives and I'm afraid that might be part of why he thinks it's the right thing to do. I asked him to watch "Endgames" with me and he made it through a little of it. He's determined to go. So I'm trying to applaud him if I can't stop him. We talked about how he would feel if our military gets turned on our citizens, about how Obama just passed something to get foreigners into service (is that right? I heard it in passing and can't believe it) because with foreigners it would be easier to enforce martial law.

I have ALWAYS been patriotic and 40 years ago I would have been overwhelmed with pride, but today's so-called government looks so dubious to me.

If my worst fears are realized, maybe then a handful of men like my son will have the courage to fight for America...dare I say this...regardless of his orders.

How can I possibly write that, it's polar opposite to what being a Marine is all about, isn't it?

I am so torn.

8. Gentle Storm

Gentle Storm Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Mike, Vietnam Vets, Iraq, Afghanistan, those brave men died for US. Their very presence caused all enemies to take pause...no, to stand DOWN. No one would seriously challenge us, we have been a light to the world for generations. It's only recently we've turned on Israel and have changed in so many ways, ways that are going to cost us if not vaporize us.

9. geauxtohell

geauxtohell Choose your weapon.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,155
    From someone who served under that moron George Bush; your son's service will be more about the guys he serves with and less to do with the president.

Welcome to the board.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  10. daveman

daveman Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,758
    Not in my case.
    [​IMG]