Hi

Gentle Storm

Sep 11, 2010
Hello. I'm a freaked out mom because my son is joining the marines, so I was surfing the net looking for information about it and this site came up.

I have so much to learn. Not sure how I feel about any of it.

I'm proud but also freaked that my kid will be in a unit at Obama's whim.

I would have said disposal but I'm just too sick about it.

Last edited:
Welcome. Being freaked out because your son is going to the Marines is understandable. The officers who are in charge of our military play a very big part of when the military is used and how. They do not take that responsibility lightly. Sure your son may be placed in hostile places, a Marine after all is prepositioned to be the first called, but the Marines will make him a man.

Furthermore I do not think Obama has the political capitol to commit forces to another war without unless we or our allies are attacked.

Hello. I'm a freaked out mom because my son is joining the marines, so I was surfing the net looking for information about it and this site came up.

I have so much to learn. Not sure how I feel about any of it.

I'm proud but also freaked that my kid will be in a unit at Obama's whim.

I would have said disposal but I'm just too sick about it.
I joined the Marine Corps in 1956 when it was still considered an obligation and it was valid to say I did it to defend my country. That concept is no longer vaild.

If your son joins the Marines he will be serving his government, which presently serves an emerging corporatocracy. If your son joins the Marines the price he could pay for that machismo could be his life or his limbs -- and he would not be serving his country because his country is not at war and its military is being gravely misused.

If I had a son I would tell him to stand off and wait to do what my father and uncle did, which was enlist when their country was legitimately under attack in 1941.

Welcome, GS. My thanks to your son for his service.

You're going to hear a lot of bullshit about the military here. Pay it no mind.
Thanking others for their service is a nice way of saying better you than me.

What mothers of prospective soldiers need to do is talk with mothers of sons who have been killed or maimed in Iraq or Afghanistan (or Vietnam) and ask them what it was for.

Thanks everyone.

I know what you mean. America needs a strong presence and I've always been grateful to those who served. My kids have watched me thank veterans all their lives and I'm afraid that might be part of why he thinks it's the right thing to do. I asked him to watch "Endgames" with me and he made it through a little of it. He's determined to go. So I'm trying to applaud him if I can't stop him. We talked about how he would feel if our military gets turned on our citizens, about how Obama just passed something to get foreigners into service (is that right? I heard it in passing and can't believe it) because with foreigners it would be easier to enforce martial law.

I have ALWAYS been patriotic and 40 years ago I would have been overwhelmed with pride, but today's so-called government looks so dubious to me.

If my worst fears are realized, maybe then a handful of men like my son will have the courage to fight for America...dare I say this...regardless of his orders.

How can I possibly write that, it's polar opposite to what being a Marine is all about, isn't it?

I am so torn.

What mothers of prospective soldiers need to do is talk with mothers of sons who have been killed or maimed in Iraq or Afghanistan (or Vietnam) and ask them what it was for.

Mike, Vietnam Vets, Iraq, Afghanistan, those brave men died for US. Their very presence caused all enemies to take pause...no, to stand DOWN. No one would seriously challenge us, we have been a light to the world for generations. It's only recently we've turned on Israel and have changed in so many ways, ways that are going to cost us if not vaporize us.

Thanks everyone.

I know what you mean. America needs a strong presence and I've always been grateful to those who served. My kids have watched me thank veterans all their lives and I'm afraid that might be part of why he thinks it's the right thing to do. I asked him to watch "Endgames" with me and he made it through a little of it. He's determined to go. So I'm trying to applaud him if I can't stop him. We talked about how he would feel if our military gets turned on our citizens, about how Obama just passed something to get foreigners into service (is that right? I heard it in passing and can't believe it) because with foreigners it would be easier to enforce martial law.

I have ALWAYS been patriotic and 40 years ago I would have been overwhelmed with pride, but today's so-called government looks so dubious to me.

If my worst fears are realized, maybe then a handful of men like my son will have the courage to fight for America...dare I say this...regardless of his orders.

How can I possibly write that, it's polar opposite to what being a Marine is all about, isn't it?

I am so torn.

From someone who served under that moron George Bush; your son's service will be more about the guys he serves with and less to do with the president.

Welcome to the board.

Last edited:

Mike, Vietnam Vets, Iraq, Afghanistan, those brave men died for US. Their very presence caused all enemies to take pause...no, to stand DOWN. No one would seriously challenge us, we have been a light to the world for generations. It's only recently we've turned on Israel and have changed in so many ways, ways that are going to cost us if not vaporize us.
Turning our backs on Israel is the MOST patriotic thing that Americans can do for our nation and people. :clap2:

Welcome to the play ground, Gentle Storm. There are some retired military people on this board, myself included, so many people will know how you feel about your son enlisting. Is he going to be going in as an enlisted member or is he getting a commission? Regardless, I still feel it is a noble thing for a young person (male or female) to join the military. There are many reasons a person would want to join the military and it's nobody's right to judge your son's decision to join except for himself. There are people here who support the military and there are people here that are less than supportive. I can already tell you an event you should be preparing yourself for and that is his graduation from Recruit Training. You will burst with pride when you see your son at his graduation and know that when he makes it through Recruit Training that he is a person that many people will admire - A United States Marine. Congratulates to him for joining and congratulations to you for raising a son that was able to join the military. There are very many who cannot pass the requirements - be it physical, mental, drug related or a criminal record.

Thanks everyone.

I am so torn.

There are foreigners serving in the US military today and they have been for several years. About 5% of all recruits are foreigners (non-US citizens). By joining they earn the right to gain US citizenship.

I cannot visualize … well I was going to say I cannot visualize US troops being used against US citizens and then I had a vision of 1967 with Detroit burning and US Army troops in the streets … and I realized that it has happened before and can happen again.

But I do not think American troops would ever lift arms against our elected civilian government.

There are foreigners serving in the US military today and they have been for several years. About 5% of all recruits are foreigners (non-US citizens). By joining they earn the right to gain US citizenship.

I cannot visualize … well I was going to say I cannot visualize US troops being used against US citizens and then I had a vision of 1967 with Detroit burning and US Army troops in the streets … and I realized that it has happened before and can happen again.
And there was Hooverville, which was the most disgraceful event in the history of the U.S. Army.

And there was Kent State.

But I do not think American troops would ever lift arms against our elected civilian government.
Some wouldn't but some would. The preponderant number would depend entirely on the skill and motivation of their commanders.

Not in my case.
In your case exceptions can be made.

But in the case of normal people, don't you think it's rather silly for one member or former member of the military to be thanking another member or former member of the military for his service to our country? Don't you think that's taking our already obsessive militarism a bit too far? Or do you think it's good idea for every member of the military upon waking in the morning to thank every other member of his outfit for his service to our country? Or do you think it would be better to wait until after breakfast? Or how about initiating a ceremony in which the whole goddam Army has to go around thanking each other an hour before Taps, seven days a week?

As I said, "Thank you for your service to our country" is a nice way of saying "better you than me," because this bullshit phrase came about after the draft was suspended and it was no longer an obligation for able-bodied young men to put in their time. Now we have a military which is de facto mercenary reinforced by real mercenaries called "contractors."

So if I were in the military today and some guy thanked me for it I might just ask him why he isn't serving our country?

"Thank you for your service" means "Better you than me"?

I think serving for your country is a sacrifice whether you were forced into it or not. And those of us thanking those that served while we haven't, well everyone I know is sincerely grateful, why wouldn't we be?

We love this country, once in a while I think we all reflect on how much we have versus what we don't. We see movies like Braveheart and realize how horrid tyranny and oppression can be, how unthinkably wicked society could be if we weren't protected. We live in a bubble and most of the time we take it for granted, until we see a man in uniform or he has to show his disability card and it reveals he's a vet. Or we see someone without legs and if we got to know him, found out he sacrificed them that we wouldn't live in a place like Mexico, ruled by drug lords, or the Sudan where Christian women...I can't even write what happens if they don't submit.

Yeah, I'm grateful. And the truth is it IS better them than me, because I don't have the kind of courage it took to sign up for four years with no going back, or the kind of courage to stand on a battlefield with bullets flying all over the place, watching my buddies fall at my side and keep fighting. Are you kidding me?

They are heroes. They fought, suffered, many went to hell and back that we could gather on Thanksgiving with family and not be afraid. We have so much to be grateful for. And as freedom gets chipped away and we watch it crumble, I think we might all be in for a time of not realizing what we had til it's gone.

Thank you and God bless every man and woman that ever served.

Last edited:
Welcome to the play ground, Gentle Storm. There are some retired military people on this board, myself included, so many people will know how you feel about your son enlisting. Is he going to be going in as an enlisted member or is he getting a commission? Regardless, I still feel it is a noble thing for a young person (male or female) to join the military. There are many reasons a person would want to join the military and it's nobody's right to judge your son's decision to join except for himself. There are people here who support the military and there are people here that are less than supportive. I can already tell you an event you should be preparing yourself for and that is his graduation from Recruit Training. You will burst with pride when you see your son at his graduation and know that when he makes it through Recruit Training that he is a person that many people will admire - A United States Marine. Congratulates to him for joining and congratulations to you for raising a son that was able to join the military. There are very many who cannot pass the requirements - be it physical, mental, drug related or a criminal record.

Enlisted. He graduated high school last year. That concerns me as well, that he'll be one of the youngest ones. His cousin just went in. He told me last night his grandma cried hysterically over his cousin going and he's concerned it will upset her more when he goes too.

I don't know enough to cry hysterically. I'm still getting over his being grown up and towering over me. I'll always see him as that little boy that constantly wanted me to sit down so he could sit on my lap with his bottle and watch He-man.

That's IT. This is HEMANS fault. grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Thanks everyone.

I am so torn.

Thanks. Your post inspired me to try to find it and I think I must have seen it on that "Endgames" video that talked a lot about the Bilderburg meetings. (shudder)

While I was looking though, I saw a man on a different forum with this tagline, lol, this is what I was thinking when I wrote about courage:

"America is not at war.
The Marines are at war, America is at the mall."

SO true. And I'm guilty as charged.

Thanks everyone.

I am so torn.

You do know there is a specific forum for military moms, don't you?

Forum List

Back