Hi Tech

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by CSM, Sep 24, 2004.

1. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=738&e=1&u=/ap/20040924/ap_on_hi_te/spinach_power

MIT Works to Power Computers With Spinach

17 minutes ago Add Technology - AP to My Yahoo!

By MARK PRATT, Associated Press Writer

BOSTON - "Eat your spinach," Mom used to say. "It will make your muscles grow, power your laptop and recharge your cell phone... " OK. So nobody's Mom said those last two things. But researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (news - web sites) say they have used spinach to harness a plant's ability to convert sunlight into energy for the first time, creating a device that may one day power laptops, mobile phones and more.

Now this is the kind of story that sounds so weird yet I would not be surprised if someday spinach farmers control the economy.

2. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    wow. that's good spinach.

3. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Interesting. Apparently spinach is not the only veggie which will work in this manner. Wonder if they will ever develop this technology to the point where it can power a small vehicle.

I can imagine myself driving a Ford Legume, or a Dodge Broccoli, a VW Sauerkraut, a Cadillac Asparagus, or perhaps a Mercury Sweet Potato.

Another advantage might be that you could increase the engine's performance simply by fertilizing it.

4. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Well, I guess the crux of the research is harnessing the energy produced during photosynthesis. Kind of an interesting endeavor. However, someday I hope to drive a Rutebaga 5000.