Hi Tech

CSM

Jul 7, 2004
Northeast US
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=738&e=1&u=/ap/20040924/ap_on_hi_te/spinach_power

MIT Works to Power Computers With Spinach

17 minutes ago Add Technology - AP to My Yahoo!

By MARK PRATT, Associated Press Writer

BOSTON - "Eat your spinach," Mom used to say. "It will make your muscles grow, power your laptop and recharge your cell phone... " OK. So nobody's Mom said those last two things. But researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (news - web sites) say they have used spinach to harness a plant's ability to convert sunlight into energy for the first time, creating a device that may one day power laptops, mobile phones and more.

Now this is the kind of story that sounds so weird yet I would not be surprised if someday spinach farmers control the economy.

CSM said:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=738&e=1&u=/ap/20040924/ap_on_hi_te/spinach_power

MIT Works to Power Computers With Spinach

17 minutes ago Add Technology - AP to My Yahoo!

By MARK PRATT, Associated Press Writer

BOSTON - "Eat your spinach," Mom used to say. "It will make your muscles grow, power your laptop and recharge your cell phone... " OK. So nobody's Mom said those last two things. But researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (news - web sites) say they have used spinach to harness a plant's ability to convert sunlight into energy for the first time, creating a device that may one day power laptops, mobile phones and more.

Now this is the kind of story that sounds so weird yet I would not be surprised if someday spinach farmers control the economy.

Interesting. Apparently spinach is not the only veggie which will work in this manner. Wonder if they will ever develop this technology to the point where it can power a small vehicle.

I can imagine myself driving a Ford Legume, or a Dodge Broccoli, a VW Sauerkraut, a Cadillac Asparagus, or perhaps a Mercury Sweet Potato.

Another advantage might be that you could increase the engine's performance simply by fertilizing it.

Well, I guess the crux of the research is harnessing the energy produced during photosynthesis. Kind of an interesting endeavor. However, someday I hope to drive a Rutebaga 5000.

Forum List

Back