Hi Tech makeslife more difficult

ginscpy

Sep 10, 2010
I am not a modern person.

Havent even been on facebook or twitter. (is this something new?)

Grew up in the era when color tv was a big deal -and the advent of VCRS -first time you could record programs to watch at a late rtime. DVDs and Blu Ray enhancements....

Could take or leave high def or 3D tv.

Dont need a blackberry or Iphone.

Do have a cellphone.

VCR first time you could recordto watch at a later date -by far the biggest advancement - before vieweres were slave -

Advent of color Tv next biggest.

Still cant tell HDTV or 3d ....

As with anything there are pros and cons.
With computerization, I do honestly believe there is more cons than pros.
Forbes magazine did a study some 10 years ago, Harvard did a similar study..and others. They all came to the same conclusion - computers and the necessary software has cost businesses more than what they saved.

At the same time, computer technology has permanently changed how people work. They work harder, longer and often have expected availability after hours and even while on vacation via cell phones and email.

At the same time, with 450 available channels and 100,000 of instant movies at your fingertips - we are all living increasingly sedentary/isolated lives.
Our children who spend all waking hours looking at the TV or playing video games - are increasingly becoming more passive aggressive towards others and are unquestionably more and more apathetic about others.

I could go on for hours.
For those of us who lived decades before mass computerization - I think I can speak for most...it was better before.

Blue screen of fucking death, SUCKS

Yes it makes life more difficult, more so when you rely on them and they dont work any more!!

GPS is the best ever. Yet I recall how cool it was to be able to print driving directions off the internet rather than screwing around with a map. Now instead a somewhat annoying voice tells me what to do and gets me where I'm going.

Grew up in the era when color tv was a big deal -and the advent of VCRS -first time you could record programs to watch at a late rtime. DVDs and Blu Ray enhancements....

Do have a cellphone.
I was led to believe that technology would reduce paperwork. That hasn't happened.

Do have a cellphone.

Hell, gin I remember watching the *FIRST TV program I ever saw.

Incidently it was also the first **moving picture event I ever had, too.

That was in 1955.

WE didn't have a TV, and neither did most people.

Tchnology has made changes rather considerably in my lifetime.

And FWIW, even though my life very much revolved around this technology and it has supported me for the last nearly two decades I am STILL NOT SURE it is overall, making our lives better.

* It was Captain Video...a sci fi program. I was 4 years old

** I hadn't yet been to a movie so TB was the first moving picture I ever saw. A few weeks or months later I saw my first movie, "Sleeping Beauty" by Disney.

Last edited:
If you are full-time traveling like me, wireless net and the puter are a luxury and indispensable. I can plan my stops to the 'T'. I get exact driving mileage/conditions between cities, up to date RV park availability/reviews, and accurate weather conditions at a fingertip.
Oh, did I mention that I can also continue to post at USMB?

As with anything there are pros and cons.
With computerization, I do honestly believe there is more cons than pros.
Forbes magazine did a study some 10 years ago, Harvard did a similar study..and others. They all came to the same conclusion - computers and the necessary software has cost businesses more than what they saved.

At the same time, computer technology has permanently changed how people work. They work harder, longer and often have expected availability after hours and even while on vacation via cell phones and email.

At the same time, with 450 available channels and 100,000 of instant movies at your fingertips - we are all living increasingly sedentary/isolated lives.
Our children who spend all waking hours looking at the TV or playing video games - are increasingly becoming more passive aggressive towards others and are unquestionably more and more apathetic about others.

I could go on for hours.
For those of us who lived decades before mass computerization - I think I can speak for most...it was better before.

I remember reading a book on simplifying one's life. One issue was washing clothes. Do you really think our female ancestors would drag clothes to the creek to bang them on the rocks after they were worn just one time? It was the washing machine that changed the custom since it was now easier.

I see the same with the computer, where you don't have to find the physical file of a client. I worked at a mutual fund company, and learned that the original regulations in the 50's required a transaction request to be completed in seven days. Now it is in the next closing date.

TV and games are entertainment, and I recognized my sick obsession with TV, before the modernization past the twelve channels 2 - 13 and the UHF, and I haven't had one since it got digitalized.

OK, games I still have an addiction problem - should be a 12 step program somewhere -

Actually that was updated too, or at least given the option with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Reality ... forgot the name of the second option. The point is, there is help for us in our obsessions.

But there still are options. You can put the remote away, and go bowling. Hide the game controllers and make your kids go out and terrorize the neighborhood. (sorry, I meant play)

I know I would never take a job that required me to have access to a phone 24 hours a day 7 days a week without being at least a partial owner of the company.

Forum List

Back