Hi from Siberia

Welcome to the forum!

Siberia is famous of its prisons for capitalist synpatisants. Do you still have them there? Do you still have a few gulags left?

As soon as the USSR collapsed, Russia became a capitalist country. And now sympathy for capitalism is not a violation of the law :eusa_angel: But if we are talking about the Gulag, it was abolished in 1967

Welcome!

You know English well! where did you learn it?:)

I would not say that I know English well :eusa_angel:, I'm a software engineer and for professional development, I read English technical literature, listen to lectures and reports at international conferences.
I like watching some American TV shows, for example. House of Cards, I look in the original voice acting, but, of course, with subtitles.

So sorry global warming ruined the place.
We haven't decided yet good or bad it for us :eusa_angel:, But winters, of course, became softer and warmer, in my childhood the frost in winter was usually -40-45, now -30 -35. And, probably, it would be better to lie under a palm trees or a mango trees than under a birch or pine trees :eusa_angel:

Welcome!

You know English well! where did you learn it?:)

I would not say that I know English well :eusa_angel:, I'm a software engineer and for professional development, I read English technical literature, listen to lectures and reports at international conferences.
I like watching some American TV shows, for example. House of Cards, I look in the original voice acting, but, of course, with subtitles.

Congratulations. I have to say your knowledge of English is....very amazing taking into account you come from Siberia!:)

Congratulations. I have to say your knowledge of English is....very amazing taking into account you come from Siberia!:)

Thanks to the Internet, we have a great opportunity to learn foreign languages :eusa_angel:.

Do you still have them there? Do you still have a few gulags left?

And I can add that the Gulag influenced our mentality very much. Prison subcultures have spread to the territory of the former USSR and still exert an influence especially on the younger generation, but less than in the early 90s.For example, open homophobia is a direct consequence of the prison subculture. Because in our prison hierarchy people who are homosexuals or have been raped, they are no longer considered human beings, they can be beaten or even killed, and they are called "Cocks". They perform all the "dirty" work, for example, cleaning the toilets. And if a "normal" prisoner touches "Cock" (shaking hands), he will also be considered a "rooster".

German-Russian history was not always a one of friendship but sometimes it was. There was even a "German Quarter" in Moscow.

We have no resentment against Germans. English more popular for few reason first at all in the Russia (and Siberian especially ) many people dream of going abroad, and the United States thanks to Hollywood the country desired for immigration, second reason in Russia is a very developed IT industry, where the English is a necessary "tool".
Many people dream of the great America but the dream is waste of time. America doesn´t allow people to come. If you have nothing but the dream, you ain´t welcome. People could consider going to Germany, instead. We take everyone. Just say you are Aussiedler.

Not many Germans around there these days.

I think they're all in Texas.

And I can add that the Gulag influenced our mentality very much. Prison subcultures have spread to the territory of the former USSR and still exert an influence especially on the younger generation, but less than in the early 90s.For example, open homophobia is a direct consequence of the prison subculture. Because in our prison hierarchy people who are homosexuals or have been raped, they are no longer considered human beings, they can be beaten or even killed, and they are called "Cocks". They perform all the "dirty" work, for example, cleaning the toilets. And if a "normal" prisoner touches "Cock" (shaking hands), he will also be considered a "rooster".

Welcome to the board. Your depictions of Siberia seem honest and interesting. Hope you stick around.

German-Russian history was not always a one of friendship but sometimes it was. There was even a "German Quarter" in Moscow.

We have no resentment against Germans. English more popular for few reason first at all in the Russia (and Siberian especially ) many people dream of going abroad, and the United States thanks to Hollywood the country desired for immigration, second reason in Russia is a very developed IT industry, where the English is a necessary "tool".
Many people dream of the great America but the dream is waste of time. America doesn´t allow people to come. If you have nothing but the dream, you ain´t welcome. People could consider going to Germany, instead. We take everyone. Just say you are Aussiedler.

You find Germans mostly in caves like trolls. There, they are flagellating themselvs.

You find Germans mostly in caves like trolls. There, they are flagellating themselvs.

Are you one?

And Oklahoma..

And Oklahoma..

Didn't know that. Only thing I've heard about that state is 'Oh what a beautiful morning'.

And Oklahoma..

Didn't know that. Only thing I've heard about that state is 'Oh what a beautiful morning'.
I just lived there 24 years so it's a beautiful day..

You guys must be really bored....

And Oklahoma..

I just lived there 24 years so it's a beautiful day..

Ah. That explains it. :)

Forum List

Back