Hi all

I don't hold to flags as anything but room dividers. Their used to separate us as humans creating false divisions, just like religion, gender, and political affiliation.

ooohhh THANK YOU!!

I love, love, love irony!!

real quick

Please explain how gender is a false divider. b/c it seems to me, that w/o it, there would be no sex or sexes.

Gender very much divides as some see restrictions on either side. This is woman's work. This is a man's work. This fact creates a mental division. It builds artificial walls. There are some very good books on gender discrimination working in both ways.

yeah, ok

but there is mens work and womens work.

there are jobs women struggle at that men accell at, and jobs women can do that men won't bother with b/c it's a pain to flounder about.

ooohhh THANK YOU!!

real quick

Please explain how gender is a false divider. b/c it seems to me, that w/o it, there would be no sex or sexes.

Gender very much divides as some see restrictions on either side. This is woman's work. This is a man's work. This fact creates a mental division. It builds artificial walls. There are some very good books on gender discrimination working in both ways.

yeah, ok

there are jobs women struggle at that men accell at, and jobs women can do that men won't bother with b/c it's a pain to flounder about.

What you did there was make a gender judgment. You are assuming that no men would be good at a certain work because you think it feminine. It also assumes that all women cannot do certain tasks because society assigned them to gender specific roles.
This is not always true. In fact in many cases it is not true.
example: A man can clean a house and cook equally as well as a woman. Yet advertising most of time shows a woman cleaning a home or cooking. They also show males in those roles many times as inadequate to the task and looking foolish.
This is what I mean by the gender divide. It's more the mental image than the reality.

Hello and welcome. Seems like liberals are popping up like mushrooms around here. Hope you enjoy your stay. Drop by the coffee shop and have a cup with us.

I've posted for years on other boards. Heard about this one and decided to give it a try. I'm politically very liberal and try to get along.

Welcome. I'm pretty new here too.
I certainly wouldn't classify myself as very liberal so maybe we will get into debates. Good spirited debate is what appeals to me.

I've posted for years on other boards. Heard about this one and decided to give it a try. I'm politically very liberal and try to get along.

I certainly wouldn't classify myself as very liberal so maybe we will get into debates. Good spirited debate is what appeals to me.

Nice to meet you. Good debate is always wonderful. The name calling and other foolishness gets old very fast.

Nice to meet you. Good debate is always wonderful. The name calling and other foolishness gets old very fast.

True. In the few days I've been on here I've seen some of the name calling, but that comes with the territory. So far I've found it sufficiently liverly to retain my interest. But I'm still getting a feel for the different categories.

True. In the few days I've been on here I've seen some of the name calling, but that comes with the territory. So far I've found it sufficiently liverly to retain my interest. But I'm still getting a feel for the different categories.

It's not to bad to navigate here. It's just a matter of finding the buttons to push. Have not had any serious debate yet so I really am not sure about the board yet overall. So far the people that have said hi are nice.

It's not to bad to navigate here. It's just a matter of finding the buttons to push. Have not had any serious debate yet so I really am not sure about the board yet overall. So far the people that have said hi are nice.

Well, at least I can already see we will diagree over gender, nationality, religion and political views dividing people. I for one am very happy that people differ on those scores. I abhor uniformity.

I don't hold to flags as anything but room dividers. Their used to separate us as humans creating false divisions, just like religion, gender, and political affiliation.

ooohhh THANK YOU!!

real quick

I'm not seeing how flags make that division.

ooohhh THANK YOU!!

real quick

yeah, ok

I have yet to meet very many men who can multitask the way the women I know can.

yeah, ok

What you did there was make a gender judgment. You are assuming that no men would be good at a certain work because you think it feminine. It also assumes that all women cannot do certain tasks because society assigned them to gender specific roles.
This is not always true. In fact in many cases it is not true.
example: A man can clean a house and cook equally as well as a woman. Yet advertising most of time shows a woman cleaning a home or cooking. They also show males in those roles many times as inadequate to the task and looking foolish.
This is what I mean by the gender divide. It's more the mental image than the reality.

That's just clever imaging on the side of men. Who wants to clean house if they don't have to. If you can convince the gals they do it better, they'll want to do it more, too!

Well, prepare yourself for "old very fast", then! Personally, I usually drop a thread when it becomes a pissing match between a few other contributors. The worst name-callers are on my ignore list, a very useful tool.

Well, at least I can already see we will diagree over gender, nationality, religion and political views dividing people. I for one am very happy that people differ on those scores. I abhor uniformity.

I am not talking about uniformity. I am talking about these as walls that keep keep us at arms reach from each other. We will never all be the same.
Consider the Israelis and the Arabs their entire war and history has been entrenched in religion which creates the disharmony and has them at war.
It is not uniformity they can have their own religion and not be at war about it if they did not seek to be the same. If they kept their religion to themselves.

I would disagree with you on the arab-Israeli conflict, which is first and foremost a national conflict.
The idea that ^people have to keep their religion to themselves conflicts with my view that everybody should be able to profess their own views, be they political, philosophical, or religious, freely and openly.

ooohhh THANK YOU!!

real quick

I'm not seeing how flags make that division.

Flags create walls and artificial allegiance. Ones patriotic pride stands in the way of meeting another who suffers the same symptoms.
It goes back to the schoolyard fights when two children fight because one says my dad can beat up your dad. We are both proud of our dads or nations but there is no reason to have this cause a problem and destruction.

yeah, ok

I have yet to meet very many men who can multitask the way the women I know can.

That may well be so but they are still capable of doing the same tasks. Men because of the nature of upper body strength may be able to left heavier things than a female counterpart. She can still accomplish the task but it may take a few more trips to move pile A to point B

Forum List

Back