Hi all

A Christian and a Muslim, to take that example, can get along fine, respect each other, be friends, etc. but obviously they differ and thus divide fundamentally about their deepest beliefs about religion and all its related aspects.

Not necessarily. There are common elements to all religions which would serve as a basis for unity.

Hi, Katie! It is so excellent to see you here!!! :)

Not necessarily. There are common elements to all religions which would serve as a basis for unity.

That is one of the modern fallacies, spread to make everybody "feel good". While there are certain elements that some religions share (there are virtually no elements shared by all religions), that doesn't change the fact that religions are per definition mutually exclusive. The core of a religion is its claim to Truth, thereby automatically designating other religions as false.
That doesn't mean we can't tolerate and respect each other across religious divides. But it precludes unity. And that's a good thing, because it would be a meaningless and empty unity.

Everything certainly is a human construct. You use Law and morality as an example. Law is to keep those that will disrupt in line and give them consequences. Morals are a tool of judgment and are meaningless in my mind as a guideline for anything. They change from person to person and are even more in flux than laws.
Yes people are communal but was it the nature of language that eventually did divide? What caused humans to design nations and borders? What causes others to judge someone by the shade of skin, accent, or religion. How many gods do you think there might be? Each religion would have there own that agrees with them. So why is there this religious feeding frenzy. It is because humanity has chosen what and how they will believe. Religious action is a human construct as well.

Law fulfills many functions.
I am a bit taken aback by your wholesale rejection of morals. Moral guidelines like that you shouldn't steal, kill, rape, cheat, etc, seem to me to be a bit more stable and less meaningless than you suggest. Ultimately morals form the basis for law and society as a whole and - unline Margaret Thatcher whom I like on many other scores - I do believe there is such a thing as society.
I think it is meaningless to look for a "cause" why people divide along ethnic, cultural, linguistic, religious, political lines. It just happens and is perfectly natural.

Morals are a tool by which some judge others. They change over time and are always subject to the personal opinion and view of an individual and/or society. They are nothing more than a personal idea run rampant.

No those differences do not divide us at all. They make us unique. I am an atheist as I stated earlier. My wife is Jewish. I have Christian, Islamic, and Buddhist friends. So the religions have not divided us at all. They unite us as people not as beliefs of cultural constructs. We can sit at a table and bring the worlds religions together over bread and not be divided but united in that we are all people.

I'm sorry, but that is taking the easy way out. Of course the fact that you have different beliefs divides you (division is not a bad thing and is not the same thing as enmity or disrespect - unity is highly overrated). A Christian and a Muslim, to take that example, can get along fine, respect each other, be friends, etc. but obviously they differ and thus divide fundamentally about their deepest beliefs about religion and all its related aspects.

It means that if they start with the common ground that they are all human, there is a place to begin. If they see them selves as religious entities first there can never be a common thread to bind them.

A Christian and a Muslim, to take that example, can get along fine, respect each other, be friends, etc. but obviously they differ and thus divide fundamentally about their deepest beliefs about religion and all its related aspects.

Hi, Katie! It is so excellent to see you here!!! :)

Nice to be here. This seems to be a good board as compared to some we have both wondered through. Hugzzzz

I've posted for years on other boards. Heard about this one and decided to give it a try. I'm politically very liberal and try to get along.

Welcome Katiegrrl0. You brought a bit of a grand discussion to a welcome thread. :clap2:

I've posted for years on other boards. Heard about this one and decided to give it a try. I'm politically very liberal and try to get along.

Hello Katiegrrl0, :)

Before I left for work a few hours ago, I was reading through your Introduction. You are so interesting, I was compelled to read many pages of your sweet warmth and honesty. I even went to the website TwoThumbs put up, and listened to the beautiful music of Ferron, a singer and songwriter from Canada, and whom you have chosen to use as your Avatar. What a glorious and touching song. Simply beautiful soulful rendering music.

I would like you to know how much I have enjoyed learning about you and that I ***WELCOME*** you here because you are thoughtful, interesting and sweet and I like you very much. I am proud to have your company and hope we don't disappoint.

Here is that magical song, sung so beautifully by two mavens of music.

Athena**

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZtv13a_2F0]pt3 the Fen. Ferron and Bitch. 'Girl on a Road' - YouTube[/ame]

Everything certainly is a human construct. You use Law and morality as an example. Law is to keep those that will disrupt in line and give them consequences. Morals are a tool of judgment and are meaningless in my mind as a guideline for anything. They change from person to person and are even more in flux than laws.
Yes people are communal but was it the nature of language that eventually did divide? What caused humans to design nations and borders? What causes others to judge someone by the shade of skin, accent, or religion. How many gods do you think there might be? Each religion would have there own that agrees with them. So why is there this religious feeding frenzy. It is because humanity has chosen what and how they will believe. Religious action is a human construct as well.

Law fulfills many functions.
I am a bit taken aback by your wholesale rejection of morals. Moral guidelines like that you shouldn't steal, kill, rape, cheat, etc, seem to me to be a bit more stable and less meaningless than you suggest. Ultimately morals form the basis for law and society as a whole and - unline Margaret Thatcher whom I like on many other scores - I do believe there is such a thing as society.
I think it is meaningless to look for a "cause" why people divide along ethnic, cultural, linguistic, religious, political lines. It just happens and is perfectly natural.

Morals are a tool by which some judge others. They change over time and are always subject to the personal opinion and view of an individual and/or society. They are nothing more than a personal idea run rampant.

I have to disagree with you there. The idea that basic moral norms are subject to personal opinion would make the functioning of society impossible and would result in situation of all against all. But I'm sure we'll have opportunity to debate this further in one thread or another.

Forum List

Back