HHS recommended that the DEA make kratom a Schedule I drug, like LSD or heroin

Natural Citizen

American Made
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 8, 2016
It's crony capitalism, yo.

From the report...

Edward-Boyer-08-1024x576-1024x576.jpg

Should the DEA make such a ruling, anyone who buys, sells, or uses the substances might face steep punishments, like prison sentences, and anyone who wants to do research with the chemicals would need to obtain special permission from the the DEA.

Scientists and kratom advocates warn that banning kratom outright will only harm people, especially people who are using kratom instead of stronger painkillers.

In interviews with STAT, several scientists expressed concerns that such a ban would stifle research on chemicals that could be developed into alternatives to the addictive prescription opioids that kill tens of thousands of Americans each year. They said banning kratom would harm people who are currently using the substance.

People have been using kratom, a plant from Southeast Asia, to treat pain and other conditions, and to wean off opioids. It is not approved by the Food and Drug Administration, and that agency has led an aggressive crackdown on the plant, halting some imports and reprimanding companies for claiming that the substance has medical benefits.

Last edited:
It's crony capitalism, yo.

From the report...

Edward-Boyer-08-1024x576-1024x576.jpg

Should the DEA make such a ruling, anyone who buys, sells, or uses the substances might face steep punishments, like prison sentences, and anyone who wants to do research with the chemicals would need to obtain special permission from the the DEA.

Scientists and kratom advocates warn that banning kratom outright will only harm people, especially people who are using kratom instead of stronger painkillers.

In interviews with STAT, several scientists expressed concerns that such a ban would stifle research on chemicals that could be developed into alternatives to the addictive prescription opioids that kill tens of thousands of Americans each year. They said banning kratom would harm people who are currently using the substance.

People have been using kratom, a plant from Southeast Asia, to treat pain and other conditions, and to wean off opioids. It is not approved by the Food and Drug Administration, and that agency has led an aggressive crackdown on the plant, halting some imports and reprimanding companies for claiming that the substance has medical benefits.

I wonder why they did that? It competes with the Oxycontins?

Forum List

Back