Hey

Originally posted by Isaac Brock
As I said before, it was never elected members of our government who said anything. I think people blow the whole US-Canada government relations freeze out of perspective. We're two similar democracies side by side

Fun facts, we're over them, but still interesting to ponder:

Lyndon B. Johnson, former President of the United States, took former Canadian Prime Minister Lester B. Pearson (founder of the UN Peacekeepers) by the cuff of his collar on a state visit and yelled at him where he was visiting at Camp David. The incident arose over Pearson's objection to the Vietnam war.

Another former President, Ronald Regan after having his first state meeting with popular Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau called him a "pot-smoking leftist". US-Canada trade broke down in the 1980's and began an era of protectionism for both countries.

Before that incident, former President Nixon also called Pierre Trudeau an "asshole" to his face nonetheless. Dean Rusk, secretary of state under Nixson said to the Canadian Ambassador "You better bring your asbestos shorts, 'cause I'm going to burn your ass.".

John F. Kennedy once called former PM John Diefenbaker a "prick" in front of news cameras.

So to put it into context, it doesn't seem like a big deal after all. Though, I believe both Trudeau and Diefenbaker had their beefs on their US counterparts. Compared to the old day, the "new slander" is a little more tame.

Hmmmmmmmm

Originally posted by Reilly
Don't take some of this stuff too personally Isaac. I think most Americans think very highly of Canada. Beautiful country, nice people, seem very responsible in domestic and foreign affairs. Canada has a great reputation for responding with peacekeepers all over the world. Love you guys.

CANADA RULES!

Hey Issac, I heard it snowed out your way recently - now that would suck :p: BTW, who are you voting for? Check the NDP web-site, I think it's only friends and family posting there:D

Forum List

Back