Hey

Canada doesn't suck. We do occasionally get an unruly poster in here that badly represents Canada, but we also have a couple of posters here that give Canada nothing but a good name. (Isaac & Said1).

I'd save the off the wall comments for the posters who deserve it. I get pissed when someone comes here with generalizations such as "all Americans are ignorant", so I'm sure our friends Isaac and Said1 get a little upset reading these kinds of words.

With the Iraq's, Iran's and North Korea's of the world, I'm happy to call Canadians our northern brothers and sisters.

Originally posted by jimnyc
Canada doesn't suck. We do occasionally get an unruly poster in here that badly represents Canada, but we also have a couple of posters here that give Canada nothing but a good name. (Isaac & Said1).

I'd save the off the wall comments for the posters who deserve it. I get pissed when someone comes here with generalizations such as "all Americans are ignorant", so I'm sure our friends Isaac and Said1 get a little upset reading these kinds of words.

With the Iraq's, Iran's and North Korea's of the world, I'm happy to call Canadians our northern brothers and sisters.

Jim, thanks. :)

I went to a little hole in the wall bar just outside Niagara Falls and had a grand time. The beer was cold, the band was playing Folsom Prison Blues, and a big fight broke out at the pool table. It was as if I'd never left southwest Ohio!

The only difference was, when they started the red-neck trash talking, it came out, "Oh-gonna f**k with me, eh? I'll kick your ass, eh?"

I dig Canada & hope to visit again soon.

Canada doesn't suck, it blows.

Getting back to serious now, Canada invented hockey, and that's a plus. They also have some really cool scenery, the world's biggest mall (last time I heard), and cheap places to film movies. I wouldn't move there, though, as I'm a southern boy enjoying our 75 degree weather and wondering how anyone can stand it not getting any hotter all summer.

Originally posted by jimnyc
I get pissed when someone comes here with generalizations such as "all Americans are ignorant", so I'm sure our friends Isaac and Said1 get a little upset reading these kinds of words.

some of us liberals feel the same way ;)

are you sure youre still a liberal, hon? I mean, are you absolutely positive??

:p:

::::ducking::::::

Originally posted by Gop guy
Let me reword that. THE GOVERNMENT SUCKS, not the people, well, some of them do.

Our government could be much worse. I mean I'm no die-hard and there are things that could be better, but they haven't run my country into the ground. I have beefs about the US government, but I wouldn't go so far as to out right saying it, ahem, "sucks".

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
Now don't you feel all upset and lonely Isaac? :laugh:

I can deal. I mean I had fun American spring break when the college folk came to my town to have a good time. You guys are crazy!

Originally posted by Isaac Brock
Our government could be much worse. I mean I'm no die-hard and there are things that could be better, but they haven't run my country into the ground. I have beefs about the US government, but I wouldn't go so far as to out right saying it, ahem, "sucks".

Your people and members of your government have called our leader a

"Bastard"
"Moron"
and other slanderous shit like that.

I want an explaination and an apology.

Your people and members of your government have called our leader a

"Bastard"
"Moron"
and other slanderous shit like that.

I want an explaination and an apology.

Unfortunately, you will receive no more than already given.

First, it was not a member of the Canadian government that stated Bush was a "moron". You are referring to a prime minstrial aide who spoke those words in a private conversation with a journalist in a NATO conference in Prague in November of 2002. She is not an elected official and has no representation of the Canadian public. She is a secretary.

The second incident of which i assume you suggest was a Sasketchewan NPD reasearcher that sent around an internal memo calling your president "Shrub". He, again, had no governmental capacity. In additionally he was promptly fired.

Lastly you may be referring to Carolyn Parrish who said "Damn americans" after exiting a softwood lumber meeting with US officials. Though lacking tact, I find the insult soft at best.

You say this in spite of your own outburst that "Canada Sucks". You also avoid the fact that we came to your aid on September 11th. We also came to you aid in Afghanistan. Not only that, but we've shared security information with US counterparts. Plus, I think it's safe to say we've been exemplary neighbours who've co-operated significantly over the last century.

We do not agree as a country on your invasion of Iraq, just as we don't agree on many things. However, just because we don't always agree, does not mean we are not good neighbours.

You speak ill of my country no less slanderous terms than you accuse.

Don't take some of this stuff too personally Isaac. I think most Americans think very highly of Canada. Beautiful country, nice people, seem very responsible in domestic and foreign affairs. Canada has a great reputation for responding with peacekeepers all over the world. Love you guys.

Originally posted by Reilly
Don't take some of this stuff too personally Isaac. I think most Americans think very highly of Canada. Beautiful country, nice people, seem very responsible in domestic and foreign affairs. Canada has a great reputation for responding with peacekeepers all over the world. Love you guys.

Of that I have very little doubt. I've observed nothing but great respect from most members of this board, even one's i've butted heads with a bit on issues. Make no mistake, that the sentiment is reciprocated!

Originally posted by Isaac Brock
Unfortunately, you will receive no more than already given.

First, it was not a member of the Canadian government that stated Bush was a "moron". You are referring to a prime minstrial aide who spoke those words in a private conversation with a journalist in a NATO conference in Prague in November of 2002. She is not an elected official and has no representation of the Canadian public. She is a secretary.

The second incident of which i assume you suggest was a Sasketchewan NPD reasearcher that sent around an internal memo calling your president "Shrub". He, again, had no governmental capacity. In additionally he was promptly fired.

Lastly you may be referring to Carolyn Parrish who said "Damn americans" after exiting a softwood lumber meeting with US officials. Though lacking tact, I find the insult soft at best.

You say this in spite of your own outburst that "Canada Sucks". You also avoid the fact that we came to your aid on September 11th. We also came to you aid in Afghanistan. Not only that, but we've shared security information with US counterparts. Plus, I think it's safe to say we've been exemplary neighbours who've co-operated significantly over the last century.

We do not agree as a country on your invasion of Iraq, just as we don't agree on many things. However, just because we don't always agree, does not mean we are not good neighbours.

You speak ill of my country no less slanderous terms than you accuse.

Well, it was really the name calling that set me off, I just couldn't believe members of your own government would say that. But you're right about the other stuff though.

Well, it was really the name calling that set me off, I just couldn't believe members of your own government would say that. But you're right about the other stuff though.

As I said before, it was never elected members of our government who said anything. I think people blow the whole US-Canada government relations freeze out of perspective. We're two similar democracies side by side

Fun facts, we're over them, but still interesting to ponder:

Lyndon B. Johnson, former President of the United States, took former Canadian Prime Minister Lester B. Pearson (founder of the UN Peacekeepers) by the cuff of his collar on a state visit and yelled at him where he was visiting at Camp David. The incident arose over Pearson's objection to the Vietnam war.

Another former President, Ronald Regan after having his first state meeting with popular Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau called him a "pot-smoking leftist". US-Canada trade broke down in the 1980's and began an era of protectionism for both countries.

Before that incident, former President Nixon also called Pierre Trudeau an "asshole" to his face nonetheless. Dean Rusk, secretary of state under Nixson said to the Canadian Ambassador "You better bring your asbestos shorts, 'cause I'm going to burn your ass.".

John F. Kennedy once called former PM John Diefenbaker a "prick" in front of news cameras.

So to put it into context, it doesn't seem like a big deal after all. Though, I believe both Trudeau and Diefenbaker had their beefs on their US counterparts. Compared to the old day, the "new slander" is a little more tame.

Forum List

Back