Hey Toro, give us your thoughts on Cap and Trade

alan1

Gold Member
Dec 13, 2008
Shoveling the ashes
Mr Toro,
rumor has it that you have some experience and insight into the stock market.
So, is this new cap and trade for carbon credits a government created derivatives market?
Is it a government created commodity designed as a way to tax and control business via an artificial means?
What are your thoughts an opinions about this?

To be honest, I haven't spent much time looking at it so I can't really say.

It is a market-based solution, so I like that idea, but what the cost will be, I don't know. Some companies will win, some will lose. Some countries will win, some will lose.

I've read that it could be horribly expensive. It could be. I don't know.

Last edited:
My question is has this been factored into the stock prices of coal copanies like ACI,MEE and BTU. Ill look tomorrow pre open to see if the kill them and if i do im going to try and pick some up cheap for a quick trade.

It is a market-based solution, so I like that idea, but what the cost will be, I don't know. Some companies will win, some will lose. Some countries will win, some will lose.

I'm not sure how some countries could win or lose other than the fact that other countries are not participating. India and China will be winners.

I don't see it as a market based solution to global warming since it will only reduce (at best estimates) 2-5/100 of 1 degree over 25 years.
Economically, it seems to be pretty harmful to the US.

I'm not sure how some countries could win or lose other than the fact that other countries are not participating. India and China will be winners.

I don't see it as a market based solution to global warming since it will only reduce (at best estimates) 2-5/100 of 1 degree over 25 years.
Economically, it seems to be pretty harmful to the US.

It won't reduce anything if CO2 isn't what is causing temperatures to rise.

You have a typo, it's Cap and Tax.

Eh.. I'm looking for the link that talks about Spain having something similiar and the effects it's having in their country.

Last edited:
Cap and Trade worked well in reducing sulphide emmisions. It is a start toward shutting down the emissions of CO2. As for CO2 causing the warming, the physics on that was done in 1896, as well as predictions of the present warming.

Cap and Trade worked well in reducing sulphide emmisions. It is a start toward shutting down the emissions of CO2. As for CO2 causing the warming, the physics on that was done in 1896, as well as predictions of the present warming.

Did you say "Physics"?

What Warming!!!????

Forum List

Back