Hey righties -where does the Constitution say anything about the olympics?

The Same Authority the Government uses for ever dollar it spends. It's Taxation Powers.

Can you tell me where it says the Federal Government can not spend money to host an Olympic Games in an American City?

lol

Is it this one:
To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;
?

Legal experts would probably argue it falls both under General Welfare, and Regulating Commerce. It's a Grey area Because the above Quote as you see says nothing about how they can spend the money, it only says they can Lay and Collect the Taxes. We spend money on a lot of things, that you would be hard pressed to find a Direct quote in the Constitution specifically saying we can do that.

I am not sure what your point is here. Salt lake was a Successful Olympics that Brought in a Shit ton of Money to the Area, and country as a whole, The Federal Government helped Secure the Games because we wanted them in the US, and we got them. It Created a hell of a lot of Jobs related to it as well, all be it temporary.

Kinda silly to make a big deal out of 342 million dollars when were spending 4 Billion a day right now isn't it?
Too bad Obama FAILED at securing the 2016 Olympics for Chicago...:eusa_whistle:

Romney, who is now visiting the opening of the London Olympics, subsequently registered as a lobbyist for the Salt Lake Organizing Committee and secured $342 million in direct funding from the federal government and another $1.1 billion in indirect financing from Washington.

Romney Olympic success required federal payout | WashingtonExaminer.com

Well?

The constitution says nothing about the olympics but I think its pretty neat that Romney is capable enough to raise almost $1.5 billion for the Olympics after they hired him to help them out.

Shows that he is good at this and makes me way more confident about possibly voting for him this year.

There is No doubt what so ever that Romney is an Exception Organizer, and Leader of Both the Olympics and in the Business world. He is called an poor Governor, but you have to remember he was the Republican Governor of a very Liberal, Very Democrat state, Anything he got done, was a Compromise.

in fact the more you think about it, the more at least to me it is clear he is exactly what we need.

A guy that knows how to make money, Organize, and Lead, and has a History of being able to work with the Other side.

After the last 4 Years of Hyper Partisan Leadership, and Opposition It might be nice to have a Moderate who is willing to Compromise in the WH for a change.

I'm just wondering if you got bent out of shape or demanded the reasons when the government contributed 50 percent of the cost ( nearly 1 billion dollars) of the Lake Placid games or 609 million for the Alanta games?

One other caveat, the GAO report notes that the federal government’s share of the total overall direct cost of hosting Olympic Games in U.S. cities generally decreased over time, from a high of 50 percent for the 1980 Winter Olympics in Lake Placid, N.Y., to 8 percent for the 1996 Summer Olympic Games in Atlanta. For the Salt Lake City Games, the federal government share was 18 percent.

FactCheck.org : Slaloming Through Olympic Facts

CaféAuLait;5704847 said:
I'm just wondering if you got bent out of shape or demanded the reasons when the government contributed 50 percent of the cost ( nearly 1 billion dollars) of the Lake Placid games or 609 million for the Alanta games?

One other caveat, the GAO report notes that the federal government’s share of the total overall direct cost of hosting Olympic Games in U.S. cities generally decreased over time, from a high of 50 percent for the 1980 Winter Olympics in Lake Placid, N.Y., to 8 percent for the 1996 Summer Olympic Games in Atlanta. For the Salt Lake City Games, the federal government share was 18 percent.

Actually? it ALL should be private. Period.

CaféAuLait;5704847 said:

hey, that's probably too far back to think about..
life for some didn't start until Obama was elected...:lol:

Neither candidate truly reflects my values one just does so a little more than the other. For the record if I have to see tax dollars spent on something I would just as well it be the Olympics than something like Solyndra.

of course you would... because renewable energy is baaaaah'd....oil, coal and other fossil fuels is gooooood.
I'm sorry your right so how is Solyndra doing these day's are they on the fast track to giving us renewable energy?

yeah...I'm sure that no other businesses ever...in the History of the United States....have failed. Even ones that have gotten government grants.....just Solyndra.

www.washingtonexaminer.com/romney-olympic-success-required-federal-payout/article/2503281

Well?

Hey, idiot, what makes you think righties, whatever they are, support federal funding for the Olympics?

Because they're voting for the guy that took hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars for the Olympics?

Former Salt Lake City Mayor Rocky Anderson, a Democrat who worked with Romney to secure the federal funding, said security was a serious concern in the aftermath of the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.

"This was the largest public event in this country since 9/11 and we wanted to make sure things went along smoothly," Anderson told MSNBC.

All I can say is Oooh you are still amusing me....dance

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8wJt59Q6So]Goodfellas: The Spider situation - YouTube[/ame]

OOooh keep posting, noone can entertain me like you can. you're killing me here.

Forum List

Back