hey libbs how are you enjoying sky high food prices !!!

Franco, you're an idiot as always.

One thing that has always confused me is that whole wheat and brown rice are both substantially more expensive than white rice and white flour.

This makes no sense. White rice is just brown rice that goes through the extra processing of milling the bran off. Now I think I went to a fine business school, yet they never taught me how adding a labor component and the requisite overhead for machinery and equipment, could lower the production costs of a product..

Same thing with whole wheat flour, it's nearly double the price of white flour, yet white flour takes more processing.

Things that make you go "hmmmmmm."

What always makes me wonder is how they justify divorcing the inflation index from the price of every day consumables.

I mean, I understand the concept, that the price fluctuates on these items on a pretty regular basis, but if you have a steady increase in those prices, and inflation doesn't rise, then what's the point of recording inflation in the first place?

So what do we have. Under Bush, milk was higher. Under Obama, meat is 24 percent higher. Under both, a loaf of bread cost exactly the same.

Under Bush, oil peaked at $145.29 a barrel.

Under Obama, oil peaked at $109.77. It is currently at $86.54.

Who needs enemies when we have friends who make shit up that is easily checked? If we are going to beat Obama, honesty and integrity and honor need to be the rule of the day.

sometimes publix runs specials on bread. 2 loafs for the price of 1. its $1.39 here. hasnt gone up in quite some time.

I'm a big coupon clipper. And I really do track the price of everything in my Blackberry. I have the prices for every item from every grocery store in the local area going back years.

This caused me to stop shopping at one grocery store years ago because their "sales" prices were still higher than the normal prices at another grocery store less than a mile away!

It used to crack me up to see them "lower" their yogurt to 50 cents with a "sale" and watch housewives loading up their carts with the stuff. Just down the street, the normal price was 40 cents. :lol:

They would also raise the price of their peanut butter when they put grape jelly on "sale".

So what do we have. Under Bush, milk was higher. Under Obama, meat is 24 percent higher. Under both, a loaf of bread cost exactly the same.

Who needs enemies when we have friends who make shit up that is easily checked? If we are going to beat Obama, honesty and integrity and honor need to be the rule of the day.

True enough.

Though one would wonder, since the price rose for all these products from 2002 to 2007, and then has been about the same, on average, ever since, why the inflation index didn't rise dramatically over the same period...

we here in Naples have it made. we probably have more wal marts and publix stores per square mile than anyone in the south. Remember when we were kids and there was 1 or 2 grocers in our neck of the town? I live near marco island. I have two super-wal marts and god knows how many publix's within a ten mile radius of my community. and there are more wal marts here too!

True enough.

Though one would wonder, since the price rose for all these products from 2002 to 2007, and then has been about the same, on average, ever since, why the inflation index didn't rise dramatically over the same period...

Core inflation does not take into account volatile things like food and oil prices, precisely because they are so volatile.

When oil or food rise, everyone mistakenly bitches about "inflation". But since oil has dropped 23 percent from $109.77 to $86.54 in just three months, you don't hear anyone going on about "runaway deflation". And you can count on the same silence when milk drops.

Last edited:
the crash in crude will be our savior for now, it needs to keep dropping, china needs to slow down, who knows, maybe things will get worse this summer and crude will hit 60.00 a barrell and Barry will take all the credit.

Core inflation does not take into account volatile things like food and oil prices, precisely because they are so volatile.

When oil or food rise, everyone mistakenly bitches about "inflation". But since oil has dropped 23 percent from $109.77 to $86.54 in just three months, you don't hear anyone going on about "runaway deflation". And you can count on the same silence when milk drops.

Yeah, I know that.

I'm just wondering why, if the price of everyday necessary items rose, the price of other items didn't rise along with them?

Looks to me like we've had plenty of inflation since Obama took office.....what's he doing about it....?

CPI-categories-since-2000-larger.png

One of the biggest causes of increases in food prices is the increases in the cost of fuel.

Now, correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the conservatives claim the president cannot control the price of fuel? At least thats the way it was for 8 years when Bush was in office. What changed that allows Obama to control those fuel prices?

Of course, by the same token the liberals swore the higher fuel costs were Bush's fault, but these higher fuel costs are not Obama's fault.

It would be nice if people had a memory that went back more than a week.

Bush invaded the Middle East, adding more instability which caused prices to go up. Additionally, no one from his Administration went after any of the people artificially inflating energy costs. This is why we.blamed Bush.

So, what has Obama done to deserve being held responsible for gas and food prices?
gas was a 1.80 a gallon when the dear leader took over !!

One of the biggest causes of increases in food prices is the increases in the cost of fuel.

Now, correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the conservatives claim the president cannot control the price of fuel? At least thats the way it was for 8 years when Bush was in office. What changed that allows Obama to control those fuel prices?

Of course, by the same token the liberals swore the higher fuel costs were Bush's fault, but these higher fuel costs are not Obama's fault.

Bush invaded the Middle East, adding more instability which caused prices to go up. Additionally, no one from his Administration went after any of the people artificially inflating energy costs. This is why we.blamed Bush.

So, what has Obama done to deserve being held responsible for gas and food prices?
gas was a 1.80 a gallon when the dear leader took over !!

You're not even a good liar.

The cost of fuel has been steadily declining for the past month, after a steady increase in price for the months previous to that.

That has nothing to do with the president. I'm a lib, and I fully admit it.

The only thing Bush did that had any effect on the price of oil was start a war in Iraq, and the effect of that had nothing to do with the $4.00+ gas prices we saw in 2007-2008.

The price of oil, at this point in history, is controlled by speculation in dark markets.

There have been artificial choke points and price fixing by the Oil companies themselves, as they are trading their own futures, and making billions from it.

There is nothing the President can do about that. The only thing that can be done is for Congress to change the Enron Loophole once and for all.

Either that, or nationalize the oil industry. And that's not going to happen.
after Katrina he lifted the ban on offshore drilling and fuel prices plummeted !!! one of the first things your muslim president did was reinstate the ban !!! urt us helped his arab buddies !!

An agriculture industry group estimates a shortage of migrant labor may wind up costing Georgia fruit and vegetable farmers $300 million in crop losses. Officials worry the total economic impact will be even greater if crops from the next harvest are lost.

The Georgia Agribusiness Council estimates the total loss stemming from spoiled and unpicked produce to be close to $1 billion.

Crop Losses Could Top $1B

Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal’s program to replace fleeing migrant farmworkers with probationers backfired when some of the convicted criminals started walking off their jobs because field work was too strenuous, it was reported Wednesday.

And the state’s farms could lose up to $1 billion if crops continue to go unpicked and rot, the president of the Georgia Agribusiness Council warned.

Georgia immigrant crackdown backfires - Republicans could cost farmers a billion dollars

---------------------------------------------

Anyone notice how Republican policies always end in disaster? Always. Now, watch them try to blame another fiasco on Obama and the Democrats.

He's probably chowing down on Mom & Dad's $.

That's what I'm thinking.

{Feedlot owners who use corn to fatten up cattle before slaughter felt the pinch. Hog and chicken producers cut back on the number of animals they raised to offset higher corn costs.

In addition, a devastating drought in parts of the country dried up grasslands and ranges where cattle graze. Some ranchers sold off big numbers of animals instead of paying to truck in hay for feed.

Exactly. When I heard about the drought in Texas, I went out and bought half a cow. Most of the country's alfalfa that is fed to cattle comes from Texas.

I bought half a cow at $2.50 a pound before the shit hit the fan.

But hey, let's blame the drought in Texas on Obama!
here you go libb !!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zSMh1JbcuE&feature=fvsr]**Water Cut Off to California City** - Mendota 41% Unemployment, Federal Disaster Area - YouTube[/ame]

The cost of fuel has been steadily declining for the past month, after a steady increase in price for the months previous to that.

That has nothing to do with the president. I'm a lib, and I fully admit it.

The only thing Bush did that had any effect on the price of oil was start a war in Iraq, and the effect of that had nothing to do with the $4.00+ gas prices we saw in 2007-2008.

The price of oil, at this point in history, is controlled by speculation in dark markets.

There have been artificial choke points and price fixing by the Oil companies themselves, as they are trading their own futures, and making billions from it.

There is nothing the President can do about that. The only thing that can be done is for Congress to change the Enron Loophole once and for all.

Either that, or nationalize the oil industry. And that's not going to happen.
after Katrina he lifted the ban on offshore drilling and fuel prices plummeted !!! one of the first things your muslim president did was reinstate the ban !!! urt us helped his arab buddies !!

Funny you should bring up Katrina. Another GOP disaster. A history of disaster. Well, at least they're consistent at something. They even know how to apologize. They apologized to BP.

Forum List

Back