hey libbs how are you enjoying sky high food prices !!!

He's probably chowing down on Mom & Dad's $.

That's what I'm thinking.

{Feedlot owners who use corn to fatten up cattle before slaughter felt the pinch. Hog and chicken producers cut back on the number of animals they raised to offset higher corn costs.

In addition, a devastating drought in parts of the country dried up grasslands and ranges where cattle graze. Some ranchers sold off big numbers of animals instead of paying to truck in hay for feed.

In January, the U.S. Agriculture Department said that U.S. cattle herds were the smallest since 1952. Live cattle futures jumped to $1.3115 per pound in February, the highest level in decades. That meant higher costs for feedlot owners and meat packers. And those costs were passed on to consumers.

A scare about a beef additive dubbed "pink slime" and a case of mad cow disease in California seemed to have a limited impact on consumer demand, according to Mike Zuzolo, president of Global Commodity Analytics & Consulting LLC.

Higher corn prices also meant increased costs for hog and chicken producers.

PRICE CHECK: Meat prices are expected to increase 3.5 percent to 4.5 percent in 2012, said Ricky Volpe, an economist with the USDA's Economic Research Service. That is greater than the 2.5 percent to 3.5 percent rise in overall food costs the government is forecasting.

How much of your food budget is going toward meat depends on what type of meat you prefer. Steaks cost about 6 percent more this April than a year ago, USDA data showed. Pork prices were up just 3 percent, while chicken prices jumped 5.3 percent.}

Retail beef, chicken, pork prices still climbing - BusinessWeek

{Beef prices, already at near-record-high prices, are expected to be driven up for the second year in a row this year because of a limited supply of cattle}

Beef prices, already near record highs, going up again this year - Chicago Sun-Times

Don't be is about as stupid as they come.

If these "sky high" prices happen, I'll let you know then how I feel.

Don't be stupid.

Meat has tripled, dairy doubled and grains quadrupled.

Untrue.

I am guessing you don't buy groceries, either.

I can quote you prices going back years. I track all my groceries on my Blackberry.

Milk was $2.00 a gallon before Obama was sworn in. It is now $2.59.

Ground beef, 80 percent lean, was $1.99 before Obama was sworn in. It is now $2.69.

A loaf of white bread was $0.99 before Obama was sworn in. It is now $1.69.

Prices have gone up, but let's not make shit up.

One of the biggest causes of increases in food prices is the increases in the cost of fuel.

Now, correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the conservatives claim the president cannot control the price of fuel? At least thats the way it was for 8 years when Bush was in office. What changed that allows Obama to control those fuel prices?

Of course, by the same token the liberals swore the higher fuel costs were Bush's fault, but these higher fuel costs are not Obama's fault.

It would be nice if people had a memory that went back more than a week.

The cost of fuel has been steadily declining for the past month, after a steady increase in price for the months previous to that.

That has nothing to do with the president. I'm a lib, and I fully admit it.

The only thing Bush did that had any effect on the price of oil was start a war in Iraq, and the effect of that had nothing to do with the $4.00+ gas prices we saw in 2007-2008.

The price of oil, at this point in history, is controlled by speculation in dark markets.

There have been artificial choke points and price fixing by the Oil companies themselves, as they are trading their own futures, and making billions from it.

There is nothing the President can do about that. The only thing that can be done is for Congress to change the Enron Loophole once and for all.

Either that, or nationalize the oil industry. And that's not going to happen.

now Milk costs the same as a gallon of gas

No it doesn't. Not even close.

I'm guessing you don't pay for either.

here in Naples, at least over the last year the price of milk vs gas has been within a 20 cents margin of one another, right now, milk is closing in on gas. Milk here is about 3.29 a gallon, gas is around 3.45. eventually they will even off. but when gas shot up last march/april,,so did milk, and at that time milk and gas here were around 3.60/3.70 a gallon.

He's probably chowing down on Mom & Dad's $.

That's what I'm thinking.

{Feedlot owners who use corn to fatten up cattle before slaughter felt the pinch. Hog and chicken producers cut back on the number of animals they raised to offset higher corn costs.

In addition, a devastating drought in parts of the country dried up grasslands and ranges where cattle graze. Some ranchers sold off big numbers of animals instead of paying to truck in hay for feed.

Exactly. When I heard about the drought in Texas, I went out and bought half a cow. Most of the country's alfalfa that is fed to cattle comes from Texas.

I bought half a cow at $2.50 a pound before the shit hit the fan.

But hey, let's blame the drought in Texas on Obama!

the last time i can recall milk being at a reasonable price was probably during the early bush years,(about 1.60 a gallon) i can remember gas going back to 1.00 for a short while in 2002. Life was easy back then.

Shoot, I was buying 2 gallon packs of milk for $5 when my girls were still at home, in the early 90's.

No way it was $1.60 in 2002.
i really dont remember what milk was in 2002, it was affordable though,,,i can remember buying a container of sherbert for a mere $1.20 !!! that same conatainer is closer to 2.75 now!,,,im pissed!

Untrue.

I am guessing you don't buy groceries, either.

In fact I do.

I can quote you prices going back years. I track all my groceries on my Blackberry.

You do a poor job of it.

Milk was $2.00 a gallon before Obama was sworn in. It is now $2.59.

I haven't bought milk in a long time, but it was $2.50 a gallon in 1995. Are you saying prices dropped under BOOOSSHHHH?

Of course you're full of shit, no real surprise there. The average price of a gallon of milk is actually $3.63

Milk prices should improve second half of 2012, but average below 2011 - Agri-View: Dairy News - Milk prices should improve second half of 2012, but average below 2011: Dairy News

Ground beef, 80 percent lean, was $1.99 before Obama was sworn in. It is now $2.69.

More bullshit

20% fat hamburger is $3.33 a pound.

Notice: Data not available: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

A loaf of white bread was $0.99 before Obama was sworn in. It is now $1.69.

$1.42 for a 1 pound loaf. Most loafs are 2 pounds and run $2.84 a loaf

The price of milk is a bad example though. It has been effected quite radically by all the flooding that has occurred in the midwest in the last year or two.

I would think that would depend on where you lived, wouldn't it?

Not more than twenty cents a gallon. I've traveled across the USA a great deal for business. While housing prices vary wildly, food prices are pretty close everywhere, with the exception of locally grown fruit and vegetables. Strawberries and Tomatoes are cheaper in California than most places, since you drop one on the ground and have a plant in a week. Watermellons are cheaper in Texas, rats are cheaper in New York city.

But for the most part, a gallon of milk costs about the same all across the nation.

now Milk costs the same as a gallon of gas

No it doesn't. Not even close.

I'm guessing you don't pay for either.

here in Naples, at least over the last year the price of milk vs gas has been within a 20 cents margin of one another, right now, milk is closing in on gas. Milk here is about 3.29 a gallon, gas is around 3.45. eventually they will even off. but when gas shot up last march/april,,so did milk, and at that time milk and gas here were around 3.60/3.70 a gallon.

I'm looking at a Publix weekly ad for your area. The food prices are very similar to where I live. If your milk is higher than everywhere else, that is anomalous to the rest of the country and should probably look into it. It's a local problem, not an Obama problem.

Here is an article from just a few days ago: Small dairies go under as milk prices sink again

The U.S. had been gradually losing dairy farms for decades, but then milk prices plummeted during the recession and fuel costs soared in 2009. Vermont lost 52 dairies that year, while Wisconsin lost 519.

Prices have rebounded since, although they are expected to sink again to as low as $16.50 per hundred pounds this summer, said Diane Bothfeld, Vermont's deputy agriculture secretary.

"It will be a very difficult year," said Bothfeld, who expects the auctions to continue.

I would think that would depend on where you lived, wouldn't it?

Not more than twenty cents a gallon. I've traveled across the USA a great deal for business. While housing prices vary wildly, food prices are pretty close everywhere, with the exception of locally grown fruit and vegetables. Strawberries and Tomatoes are cheaper in California than most places, since you drop one on the ground and have a plant in a week. Watermellons are cheaper in Texas, rats are cheaper in New York city.

But for the most part, a gallon of milk costs about the same all across the nation.

Rats. LOL.

Cheap food is full of crappe. Buying whole wheat, low sugar jam, costs twice as much. Of course even worse in the inner city- no grocery stores. Hello obesity and diabetes epidemic.

The price of milk is a bad example though. It has been effected quite radically by all the flooding that has occurred in the midwest in the last year or two.

It's also regulated. If the market drove milk, it would be $8 a gallon.

Meat is a better example.

A pork roast at Sams that was $.99 a pound in 2009 is $4 a pound now. Hamburger has doubled. I was getting Tri Tip at Sams for $2.69 a pound. Now it's $4.99 a pound. Chicken is our staple meat. It hasn't jumped as much as pork, but the rise has been sharp. My over all cost of food has doubled since Obama took office.

Chips were another one that went fucking whack-job. The Frito-Lay two pack that Sam's and Costco have was $1.99 in 2009, then shot up to $6.99, now is back down to $4.99. Driven by two fold attacks on corn, loss of stock due to ethanol requirements and speculation on corn futures. Mexico has accused us of attempted genocide because of this.

Meat has tripled, dairy doubled and grains quadrupled.

Just so we are clear on the original claim.

The prices I quoted are from where I live. But let's carry on, because this is about to get even more fun.

$3.63, eh? So you can show that milk has doubled since Bush, right?

Ooopsie! Retail Food Prices Up at Beginning of 2008

The average price for one gallon of regular whole milk was $3.81, down 10 cents.

Higher under Bush. Has not doubled under Obama!

You gave a broken link as evidence?

But let's stipulate $3.33 right now. You can show that beef was $1.11 a pound before Obama, right?

Oopsie! Under Obama, Price of Gas Has Jumped 83 Percent, Ground Beef 24 Percent, Bacon 22 Percent

Ground beef has only jumped 24 percent, not 300 percent!

$1.42 for a 1 pound loaf. Most loafs are 2 pounds and run $2.84 a loaf

Another broken link.

So you can show bread shot up 400 percent under Obama, right?

Oopsie!

a 20-oz. loaf of white bread, up 16 cents to $1.78

$1.42 a pound! Exactly the same!!! Has NOT quadrupled. You are waaaaaaaaay off.

Retail Food Prices Up at Beginning of 2008

Last edited:
Cheap food is full of crappe. Buying whole wheat, low sugar jam, costs twice as much. Of course even worse in the inner city- no grocery stores. Hello obesity and diabetes epidemic.

Franco, you're an idiot as always.

One thing that has always confused me is that whole wheat and brown rice are both substantially more expensive than white rice and white flour.

This makes no sense. White rice is just brown rice that goes through the extra processing of milling the bran off. Now I think I went to a fine business school, yet they never taught me how adding a labor component and the requisite overhead for machinery and equipment, could lower the production costs of a product..

Same thing with whole wheat flour, it's nearly double the price of white flour, yet white flour takes more processing.

Things that make you go "hmmmmmm."

Forum List

Back