Hey, I just thought up a crazy idea. But it might improve race relations drasticly!

Won't work. Sorry, but you can't change the thinking of many Southern rednecks who don't like those folks who are different from them.

I mean, sure................the Blacks can forgive the country for slavery, but how will that change white racist attitudes towards them?

It won't.

And what would change the block-headed, prejudiced, intolerant liberals like you?

Ain't happening. Slavery is a final fall-back position most blacks aren't ready to give up.
Like I've said before, the Civil War never ended.

Of course it did.

No it didn't.

The Hill-Beast just started 'Bleeding Kansas 2.0'. Pay attention!

Bleeding Kansas was before the Civil War, genius. The war is over. The traitors lost.

It was actually the first Civil War........a precursor to the one that never really ended.

Ain't happening. Slavery is a final fall-back position most blacks aren't ready to give up.
Like I've said before, the Civil War never ended.

Of course it did.

No it didn't.

The Hill-Beast just started 'Bleeding Kansas 2.0'. Pay attention!

Bleeding Kansas was before the Civil War, genius. The war is over. The traitors lost.

It was actually the first Civil War..........

No, it wasn't.

Someone should tell blacks that we freed them, so they no longer have to be dumb, poor and ignorant.

I think doing this would drasticly help race relations, if....

OK

Here it is: How about we Black folks just forgive America, or White folks ---about slavery?

Tell me what you think....
We're not looking for any forgiveness. Instead you guys should forget about it because we didn't have a damn thing to do with it, nor did the vast vast majority of our people at the time.

Someone should tell blacks that we freed them, so they no longer have to be dumb, poor and ignorant.

I thought true patriots like Cliven Bundy thought that blacks were better under slavery. If it's better for them under slavery, why not take away their freedoms and put them back on the plantation?

/sarcasm.

However the correct term is forgive. The idea is not to badgering America in the head over slavery. You know, keep talking about reparations for slavery or crying about how our ancestors suffered from it.

If we forgive America about slavery the we are saying we are not going to try to extract some kind of punishment due to the injustice of slavery visited upon us. We are letting the issue go.

To forget does not make sense. Your true history is key to understanding your identity and gives other a sense of your behavior. To forget all the transgressions one commit is throw the key means to improve your character and spirit.
You should want people to forgive and let go instead to mindlessly forget. In fact, you would have to rewrite history.

OK

Here it is: How about we Black folks just forgive America, or White folks ---about slavery?

That's just crazy talk, Uncle Tom.:D

It would initially be more helpful to the blacks to give up the victim mentality and result in more self-respect, and would eventually incur respect from more whites...a win win.:thup:
while I dont care about white respect I do agree that Black people need to stop playing the victim. There are some truths in life here in the US. Whites are typically racist. Whites own most of the opportunities. Whites control the systems (legal, executive, legislative..etc) white school systems are an abysmal failure at addressing the needs of Black children. Ok so now what are you going do? It makes no sense to whine to people that suffer so deeply from an inferiority complex they do their best to handicap you. You out work their asses and achieve while showing them how weak they are.

Most Americans of all colors are too self-absorbed to give much thought to the opinions of other people. Making an assumption that whites are typically racists would infer that they spend time thinking about how blacks influence their lives, and most don't give it much consideration because blacks don't influence most of their lives. Some blacks, perhaps the majority, may have the opposite perspective, and their challenge is not getting caught up in it to the point of allowing it to determine their destiny. A black person having to work harder to prove their "worth" is not something that I can say that I relate to, but I have often felt that I had to work harder in Corporate America to prove myself capable as a woman. I'm stubborn though, so it's worked out well for me.
I have to disagree. Its a genetic part of whites which is why whites typically are racists. I have had some whites that I know express this same sentiment. You dont have to think about ducking in order to duck. Whites dont have to think about Blacks or other people of color to be racist. Its a naturally occurring instinct. You admit you have to work harder just to make it and prove yourself capable as a woman. Thats not much different from what Blacks have to do except you have it a little easier being white. Who do you think put this dynamic in place though? We know the answer is white men.

Last edited:

OK

It would initially be more helpful to the blacks to give up the victim mentality and result in more self-respect, and would eventually incur respect from more whites...a win win.:thup:
while I dont care about white respect I do agree that Black people need to stop playing the victim. There are some truths in life here in the US. Whites are typically racist. Whites own most of the opportunities. Whites control the systems (legal, executive, legislative..etc) white school systems are an abysmal failure at addressing the needs of Black children. Ok so now what are you going do? It makes no sense to whine to people that suffer so deeply from an inferiority complex they do their best to handicap you. You out work their asses and achieve while showing them how weak they are.

Most Americans of all colors are too self-absorbed to give much thought to the opinions of other people. Making an assumption that whites are typically racists would infer that they spend time thinking about how blacks influence their lives, and most don't give it much consideration because blacks don't influence most of their lives. Some blacks, perhaps the majority, may have the opposite perspective, and their challenge is not getting caught up in it to the point of allowing it to determine their destiny. A black person having to work harder to prove their "worth" is not something that I can say that I relate to, but I have often felt that I had to work harder in Corporate America to prove myself capable as a woman. I'm stubborn though, so it's worked out well for me.
I have to disagree. Its a genetic part of whites which is why whites typically are racists. I have had some whites that I know express this same sentiment. You dont have to think about ducking in order to duck. Whites dont have to think about Blacks or other people of color to be racist. Its a naturally occurring instinct. You admit you have to work harder just to make it and prove yourself capable as a woman. Thats not much different from what Blacks have to do except you have it a little easier being white. Who do you think put this dynamic in place though? We know the answer is white men.

image.jpg

OK

I wouldn't give a man of any color the satisfaction of thinking he had some sort of control over me and determining my successes or failures. In my late teens and early 20's, I'll admit to having a bit of a chip on my shoulder, but especially after becoming a parent, I was just determined to find a way to make it work.:thup:

OK

I wouldn't give a man of any color the satisfaction of thinking he had some sort of control over me and determining my successes or failures. In my late teens and early 20's, I'll admit to having a bit of a chip on my shoulder, but especially after becoming a parent, I was just determined to find a way to make it work.:thup:
You sound like most of my girlfriends and current wife. I am really attracted to strong women even the ones with a chip on their shoulder. I prefer that to ones that just lay down. Just like I prefer strength in Black people that continue to fight against racism over weak ones that succumb without a fight.

However the correct term is forgive. The idea is not to badgering America in the head over slavery. You know, keep talking about reparations for slavery or crying about how our ancestors suffered from it.

If we forgive America about slavery the we are saying we are not going to try to extract some kind of punishment due to the injustice of slavery visited upon us. We are letting the issue go.

To forget does not make sense. Your true history is key to understanding your identity and gives other a sense of your behavior. To forget all the transgressions one commit is throw the key means to improve your character and spirit.
You should want people to forgive and let go instead to mindlessly forget. In fact, you would have to rewrite history.
That would be like forgiving someone that beat you daily and said they were sorry but never did anything to prove their sorrow. Trust is like an eraser. The more mistakes you make the smaller it gets. To me whites have made way too many mistakes and they have no intentions of righting the wrongs their ancestors did. Since they continue to make the same mistakes its obvious they have no intention of changing how they act..

That would be like forgiving someone that beat you daily and said they were sorry but never did anything to prove their sorrow. Trust is like an eraser. The more mistakes you make the smaller it gets. To me whites have made way too many mistakes and they have no intentions of righting the wrongs their ancestors did. Since they continue to make the same mistakes its obvious they have no intention of changing how they act..

What if your ancestors immigrated to America in the 1890's?? Obviously they weren't part of American slavery...although there may have been slavery in Sweden and/or Germany, why should I feel any responsibility for choices made hundreds of years ago?? Whether my ancient ancestors had servants or were servants to others, I do not consider those people "my family". I take ownership for my actions, not those made by some far removed relatives. We all have dysfunction and grievances that we could assume in our lineage...move on and be happy for today and a brighter future. It is good and right in my opinion to have a discussion with acknowledgment and recognition, while not allowing it to become indulgent and self-destructive to the individuals, as well as our modern society/culture. I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago, and I remember learning about the CRM in HS during the 80's. The stories at that time, while only 20 years earlier, seemed very far removed to me, and it was good to know that we had come as far as we had. I never thought that things were perfect, but definitely improved. If anyone would have told me then that 30 years later our country would have much more widespread distrust and animosity, I wouldn't have believed them...very unfortunate for our nation, but lines seem to be more defined than ever with the hope of healing further diminishing.

What if your ancestors immigrated to America in the 1890's?? Obviously they weren't part of American slavery...although there may have been slavery in Sweden and/or Germany, why should I feel any responsibility for choices made hundreds of years ago?? Whether my ancient ancestors had servants or were servants to others, I do not consider those people "my family". I take ownership for my actions, not those made by some far removed relatives. We all have dysfunction and grievances that we could assume in our lineage...move on and be happy for today and a brighter future. It is good and right in my opinion to have a discussion with acknowledgment and recognition, while not allowing it to become indulgent and self-destructive to the individuals, as well as our modern society/culture. I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago, and I remember learning about the CRM in HS during the 80's. The stories at that time, while only 20 years earlier, seemed very far removed to me, and it was good to know that we had come as far as we had. I never thought that things were perfect, but definitely improved. If anyone would have told me then that 30 years later our country would have much more widespread distrust and animosity, I wouldn't have believed them...very unfortunate for our nation, but lines seem to be more defined than ever with the hope of healing further diminishing.
They didnt have to be part of slavery to benefit from it. There was the failed Reconstruction era where whites (seeing that Blacks were more than capable of achieving) decided with glazed over eyes to return the former slave owners to power and take the land that the Black people were working. They followed that up with laws such as the vagrancy act to funnel Blacks into prisons where they were rented out to those white owners to make them wealthy. So wealthy that many of the colossal giant companies have roots in slavery and subsequent laws intended to hold Blacks back. This was further compounded by share cropping where whites basically stole labor from Blacks and forcing them to work their land under pain of going to prison and working the land anyway on top of losing their freedom. Then came legally sanctioned Jim Crow. So as we can see it was more than just slavery. It was one legally sanctioned system after another designed to keep Blacks from achieving. .All whties benefited from this in some measure. This is why the reparations should be paid by the government if its ever to be paid. The US became wealthy. It wasnt just the slave owners that benefited.

Like I said earlier, if it was just slavery that would have been forgiven (not forgotten) long ago. Its the consistent pattern of white behavior in a obvious attempt to keep Black people back that cannot be forgiven. Many elder Blacks now regret integration as all it has done is broken down what was a strong family unit and given Blacks the legal right to spend their money in white owned stores. The only good I have seen from it is that the whites that are not virulent racists have had the chance to mingle with Blacks. Blacks have also been able to see that not all whites are racist though I believe a majority of them remain so.

Forum List

Back