Hey! I Can't Edit My Posts Any More!!!

I like it because I can lose my cool on occasion and know i stepped in it so I race back to edit it and hope nobody c/ped it before I get there first. There are grammar and spelling nazis here so I try to read what I wrote before I let her fly. It's all good...say what ya mean and mean what ya say.
popcorn.gif

I don't see why we should not be able to use the edit function regardless of the age of the post. However, once people start replying to the post, then deleting or changing the post could cause problems.

if anyone wants to add an edit.... quote their post...and add the edit. Its pretty simple.

Nope - doesn't work that way. Yes, you can quote your own post, and you can edit the (your) post you are quoting, and when you save it, the edited change will appear in the "quote of the quote," but when you go back to the ORIGINAL post, it will not be changed.

I don't see why we should not be able to use the edit function regardless of the age of the post. However, once people start replying to the post, then deleting or changing the post could cause problems.

if anyone wants to add an edit.... quote their post...and add the edit. Its pretty simple.

Nope - doesn't work that way. Yes, you can quote your own post, and you can edit the (your) post you are quoting, and when you save it, the edited change will appear in the "quote of the quote," but when you go back to the ORIGINAL post, it will not be changed.

i know does not work that way.

If you are editing to add new information, add it in the new post. If you need to change something, say i am changing that old stance, information, whatever...to this.

So you want people to be able to change history rather than set it right. If the truth is what matters, they could quote their post and make corrections, letting the original text stand. That's the honorable thing to do.
What you want is for them to be able to sneak back and correct their mistakes without acknowledging them. We only get 24 hours to do that.
You know the people we have here George. Don't you know a few that shouldn't be able to change history?

Anyone else having this problem? Check and see, if you don't know. I go to a post of mine and there is no Edit button on the bottom right. If I put a post up and go back to it within the hour, the Edit button is there. But if I try to edit a post that is a day or two old (or older), I can't do it. I know that at least one other poster is having a similar problem.

I am having the problem with my computer at work, which is running IE-8. I have Firefox at home and will check it out tonight to see if IE is the culprit.

What's up? Anyone else experiencing this?

They only let people who use real browsers to edit their posts.

:eusa_whistle:

Now that you've mentioned it, George, I see it's gone too

I guess Amelia just pays closer attention than we do
:D

Typical woman...gotta notice every detail
:lol:
(and remember them 12 years later, too)
:razz:

You actually get about 24 hours before the edit button disappears. It has been like that forever, and is pretty generous. Most forums only allow you a few minutes.

George is no longer lost or confused. Game over - all questions answered. Nothing more to see here, folks . . . move along . . .(Thanks and public acknowledgement to Syrenn for providing the answer regarding when the change was made. :clap2:)

I am still lost and confused.

I prefer people not being able to go back and edit their old posts. There's enough revisionist history already.

I guess it could be abused - but the reasons to do it FAR outweigh the reasons not to do it.

More importantly, how did this change happen, who did it and how can it be reversed?

It could be very confusing. If someone quotes you and you are able to go back and change what you said, the other person is left looking rather foolish - claiming you said something that is no longer there for them to prove it!

Besides, you can always just quote yourself and state the changes you need to make to your original post.

Forum List

Back