Hey - guess what else is in the HC bill!

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
Most people know about the individual mandate in the new health care bill, but the bill contained another mandate that could be far more costly.

A few wording changes to the tax code’s section 6041 regarding 1099 reporting were slipped into the 2000-page health legislation. The changes will force millions of businesses to issue hundreds of millions, perhaps billions, of additional IRS Form 1099s every year. It appears to be a costly, anti-business nightmare.

Under current law, businesses are required to issue 1099s in a limited set of situations, such as when paying outside consultants. The health care bill includes a vast expansion in this information reporting requirement in an attempt to raise revenue for an increasingly rapacious Congress.

The House bill would extend the Form 1099 filing requirement to ALL vendors (including corporate) to which they pay more than $600 annually for services or property. Consider all the payments a small business makes in the course of business, paying for things such as computers, software, office supplies, and fuel to services, including janitorial services, coffee services, and package delivery services.

In order to file all these 1099s, you’ll need to collect the necessary information from all your service providers. In order to comply with the law, you would have to get a Taxpayer Information Number or TIN from the business. If the vendor does not supply you with a TIN, you are obligated to withhold on your payments.

Costly IRS Mandate Slipped into Health Bill | Cato @ Liberty

Let's see. Our tiny little business issues about 20 1099's per year. I predict we will need to send out at least 200 next year.

We are incorporated so we receive none. We will probably receive close to a 1000. Each of which will have to be copied and sent to the IRS.

Unfuckinbelievable.

Most people know about the individual mandate in the new health care bill, but the bill contained another mandate that could be far more costly.

A few wording changes to the tax code’s section 6041 regarding 1099 reporting were slipped into the 2000-page health legislation. The changes will force millions of businesses to issue hundreds of millions, perhaps billions, of additional IRS Form 1099s every year. It appears to be a costly, anti-business nightmare.

Under current law, businesses are required to issue 1099s in a limited set of situations, such as when paying outside consultants. The health care bill includes a vast expansion in this information reporting requirement in an attempt to raise revenue for an increasingly rapacious Congress.

The House bill would extend the Form 1099 filing requirement to ALL vendors (including corporate) to which they pay more than $600 annually for services or property. Consider all the payments a small business makes in the course of business, paying for things such as computers, software, office supplies, and fuel to services, including janitorial services, coffee services, and package delivery services.

In order to file all these 1099s, you’ll need to collect the necessary information from all your service providers. In order to comply with the law, you would have to get a Taxpayer Information Number or TIN from the business. If the vendor does not supply you with a TIN, you are obligated to withhold on your payments.

Costly IRS Mandate Slipped into Health Bill | Cato @ Liberty

Let's see. Our tiny little business issues about 20 1099's per year. I predict we will need to send out at least 200 next year.

We are incorporated so we receive none. We will probably receive close to a 1000. Each of which will have to be copied and sent to the IRS.

Unfuckinbelievable.

Listen here Chanel.. Nobody gets fucked for nothing! :eusa_angel:

Many businesses that I know of already do this.

From my understanding if a business is incorporated then the payer did not need to send a 1099, but an awful lot of businesses did just to be certain to cover their butts.

1099 forms are a pain in the ass, bad for the environment and a complete waste of time and money to send to any business as the number of people that actually fill them out never equals the amount of income the corporation recognizes as income in the first place.

This provision is environmentally unsound, but not to be unexpected from politicians.

Immie

Or you could keep track of that info in a database, and then file electronically. This is the year 2010 afterall, it's practically the future already!

You still have to mail a hard copy to the vendor don't you? Maybe this is just a plan to save the post office. Although Baruch may be on to something. I wonder which politicians get the most dough from the paper companies.

Save Dunder Mifflin! Lol

You still have to mail a hard copy to the vendor don't you? Maybe this is just a plan to save the post office. Although Baruch may be on to something. I wonder which politicians get the most dough from the paper companies.

Save Dunder Mifflin! Lol

Technically, you do... but I must tell you that my practice when I receive them at work has always been to Deep 6 them. They are a complete waste of paper.

Immie

Forum List

Back