Hey Geeks, Nerds and Trekkies!

How can you remake Star Trek?

I'm a traditionalist.

I took me years to watch TNG.

Lefler's Law 138: "If it works perfectly, someone sure to redesign it"

It isn't a remake.

;)

Remake was poor word choice. I know the storyline for the new movie. I just can't imagine a Kirk who isn't Shatner of a Spock who isn't Nemoy or especially a Bones who isn't Kelley.

Have they ever accidentally given you the wrong drink at the drive thru. You ordered a Coke but you got a root beer. That face you make after the first sip is the face I expect to be wearing out of the movie theater.

Sure, it was brown and sugary and wet, but I was thirsty for Coke...and that just isn't it.

JMHO, YMMV.

Last edited:
Or is that all the same thing?

Anyway, anyone excited about the new Star Trek movie coming out? JJ Abrams directs it, so I think it will the best one. I love him, he has great character development and is a steller story teller.

Star Trek trailers and video clips on Yahoo! Movies

You missed my whole "Difference Between Nerds and Geeks" thread, but this is one, us geeks don't like Star Trek as fanatics, though some do like it as fantasy. I can't stand it myself.

Oh, and to support those who are annoyed by the remakes, I sympathize. I am pissed at all the remakes lately myself, Indiana Jones *shudders*, Star Wars *blech*, to name a few.

With respect to re-visiting classics with new actors, etc. it depends on what they are trying to do. Were they trying to in some sense duplicate what was going on in the original series, I don't think I would like it. One thing I liked about The Next Generation was that they stayed away from that.

With this movie, given that they are going into Kirk's youth and (presumably) how he obtains his command, I don't have a problem with it. If done correctly it will be a cool story to tell, and one for which you clearly can't rely on the original actors.

I read in entertainment weekly that one of the influences of the script was the novel 'best destiny' that looked into kirk's troubled youth, and excellent jumping off point for the movie.

Forum List

Back