Hey for all of those who think I am a total leftist LOON check it out!!

I want to get a good home defense weapon (no shotguns) but I am getting a lot of conflicting info. Any thoughts?

CZ 82, 9x18 ammo (kurtz9 otherwise known as a short 9mm). Parts and ammo are plentiful, easy to get and inexpensive. The weapon is a work horse and best of all you can get one for around $300 with an extra mag. It's all metal so it's heavier than the current composite arms available but that also helps in reducing recoil.
The picture (on my screen - 22" wide) is actual size.

I almost forgot it's on the C&R list (Curios and Relics)

The 9x18 is known as the 9Makarov, not the 9kurz, which is a .380 in this country.
While the CZ82 is a fine gun, I am not sure I would recommend it for someone as a first one.
It depends on how much a person is going to train and practice with the weapon. An automatic can jam. That's a fact of life. Don't whine how your Lorcin has gone 5000 rounds without a jam, the fact remains that any auto can jam and unless you've trained to clear it you're gonna spend the rest of your life learning how in a gun fight.
For a one decision leave in the drawer gun I'd recommend a Smith and Wesson Model 10 .38spc revolver, or any of the variants. They are generally inexpensive on the used market, intuitive to operate, reliable, never jam, will shoot a variety of ammo. It is the longest production gun in history, beginning in 1899 and you can buy a new one today. If you learn the trigger on the revolver shooting an auto is easy.
Shotguns are cheaper but are a limited weapon and many people dont have a place they can go shoot one.
btw I actually do this for a living.

As to the OP, a better question is:
Do you support "reasonable" restrictions on gun ownership? If so, what do you call reasonable?

You're correct, I must not have been paying attention when I typed, I might have had my PPK in mind.
I disagree on the 38. I would go for a .357, that way you can blow away 38 ammo all day long but be able to carry the heavier round (practice with that also) for your CC. For wheel guns the quality of the Taurus (pistol) brand has come of age and is still much cheaper than the S&W.

I think gun bans are BULLSHIT and unconstitutional.

I think we had this discussion a while back on the old MSNBC boards. We agree on this 100%....a home defense weapon....obviously name brand weapons are going to be cost prohibitive to some...I would look into getting a 2nd hand model Sig or H&K in .45 H&K makes a beautiful compact .45 as well as Sig and the reliability is unsurpassed by any other brand.

SigArms, Heckler & Koch and Colt are my weapons of choice...and of course a Saiga 12 guage semi-automatic shotgun.:razz:

Last edited:
CZ 82, 9x18 ammo (kurtz9 otherwise known as a short 9mm). Parts and ammo are plentiful, easy to get and inexpensive. The weapon is a work horse and best of all you can get one for around $300 with an extra mag. It's all metal so it's heavier than the current composite arms available but that also helps in reducing recoil.
The picture (on my screen - 22" wide) is actual size.

I almost forgot it's on the C&R list (Curios and Relics)

The 9x18 is known as the 9Makarov, not the 9kurz, which is a .380 in this country.
While the CZ82 is a fine gun, I am not sure I would recommend it for someone as a first one.
It depends on how much a person is going to train and practice with the weapon. An automatic can jam. That's a fact of life. Don't whine how your Lorcin has gone 5000 rounds without a jam, the fact remains that any auto can jam and unless you've trained to clear it you're gonna spend the rest of your life learning how in a gun fight.
For a one decision leave in the drawer gun I'd recommend a Smith and Wesson Model 10 .38spc revolver, or any of the variants. They are generally inexpensive on the used market, intuitive to operate, reliable, never jam, will shoot a variety of ammo. It is the longest production gun in history, beginning in 1899 and you can buy a new one today. If you learn the trigger on the revolver shooting an auto is easy.
Shotguns are cheaper but are a limited weapon and many people dont have a place they can go shoot one.

Do you support "reasonable" restrictions on gun ownership? If so, what do you call reasonable?

You're correct, I must not have been paying attention when I typed, I might have had my PPK in mind.
I disagree on the 38. I would go for a .357, that way you can blow away 38 ammo all day long but be able to carry the heavier round (practice with that also) for your CC. For wheel guns the quality of the Taurus (pistol) brand has come of age and is still much cheaper than the S&W.
Excvep the .357 is more expensive than the .38, produces prohibitive recoil and blast indoors, and isn't any more effective than a good .38 load.
As I said, I actually do this for a living.

and perhaps Glaser rounds were originally designed with safety in mind, in real life they are far from it in practical use against live targets. They were specifically designed to reduce ricochets but when they saw what they could do to soft tissue in the body the rounds were quickly adapted for use by military special operations. Glaser rounds have been tested quite extensively and there is much information available on them.

Excvep the .357 is more expensive than the .38, produces prohibitive recoil and blast indoors, and isn't any more effective than a good .38 load.

Got that on your last post. Two or three rounds from a .38, center mass will definitly do the trick, I like the +P ammo. I understand what you are saying, however even with the .357 you still have the option of both rounds and yes wheel guns are better, especially if one is a novice, if a round misfires all you have to do is pull the trigger again. Which is why I prefer a wheel over a semi most of the time. The problem is most people want the "sexy" semi-autos because they look cool.

And Cecile why trying to start a fight? I just mentioned that despite the fact that I lean much further to the left even I a rather liberal person recognises the FACT that we have a right to bare arms. One of the most FUNDEMENTAL rights we have. Right up there with freedom of speech. One is the sword the other is the shield of liberty.

Last edited:
And Cecile why trying to start a fight? I just mentioned that despite the fact that I lean much further to the left even I a rather liberal person recognises the FACT that we have a right to bare arms. One of the most FUNDEMENTAL rights we have. Right up there with freedom of speech. One is the sword the other is the shield of liberty.

I was teasing. That's sort of what the whole "wink" smiley is about. Guess I should have saved it for someone who doesn't have a stick up his ass. Or maybe just someone who isn't LOOKING for someone to be trying to start a fight.

I was teasing. That's sort of what the whole "wink" smiley is about. Guess I should have saved it for someone who doesn't have a stick up his ass. Or maybe just someone who isn't LOOKING for someone to be trying to start a fight.

Guess I should have picked up on that. DoH!

Got that on your last post. Two or three rounds from a .38, center mass will definitly do the trick, I like the +P ammo. I understand what you are saying, however even with the .357 you still have the option of both rounds and yes wheel guns are better, especially if one is a novice, if a round misfires all you have to do is pull the trigger again. Which is why I prefer a wheel over a semi most of the time. The problem is most people want the "sexy" semi-autos because they look cool.

Semi's have definite advantages. Easier to shoot accurately because the trigger pull is shorter and lighter, more ammo. And don't discount sexy. They are more fun to shoot so people are more likely to take them to the range and practice.
One issue with .38 rounds is that factories have so watered them down they perform no better than a .380 auto. A 125gr at 800 fps vs. a 100gr at 1000 fps is not much different.
That's why Blue Bunny Ammo was created.

New Topics

Forum List

Back