Hey, Bill Maher! Why won't you debate evolution?

jillian said:
Why would "Answers In Genesis" have anything to say about science? It's a religious site.

I'm sure it could tell me about a particular view of the Bible. ;)

As Lutherian, Bush-appointed federal judge John Jones said in the Dover, Pennsylvania case when he struck it down, ID is just another way of dressing up creationism. If a Bush-appointed Christian can see it for what it is.....

jillian said:
Why would "Answers In Genesis" have anything to say about science? It's a religious site.

I'm sure it could tell me about a particular view of the Bible. ;)

Here's an idea - GO READ IT... you'll read tons of science there... jeesh..

Dr Grump said:
Creationism does not make scientific sense at all. Creationism is based on faith. Nothing more, nothing less....

Painfully arrogant to assume something w/o having the fortitude to RESEARCH.

dmp said:
Painfully arrogant to assume something w/o having the fortitude to RESEARCH.

Why would one research religion to get scientific answers?

One looks to religion for answers having to do with "why" we're here and "do our lives have meaning?", and "what are the moral lessons we can take from our religion of choice", etc.

dmp said:
baby girl...he said 'go read that site' ;)

NOT

'go read genesis'

If the site is "Answers In Genesis", then that's what it's taking it's "information" from, hon. I've read Genesis. And it is what it is. But it's certainly NOT science, no matter how you wrap it up in a bow.

jillian said:
If the site is "Answers In Genesis", then that's what it's taking it's "information" from, hon. I've read Genesis. And it is what it is. But it's certainly NOT science, no matter how you wrap it up in a bow.

Now you're being retarded... go READ the site.. and the articles..... you're making ASSumptions about the site and its content before reading it...

www.not-so-bright.net

jillian said:
Why would one research religion to get scientific answers?

One looks to religion for answers having to do with "why" we're here and "do our lives have meaning?", and "what are the moral lessons we can take from our religion of choice", etc.

Translation:

Oh - I read his post wrong. I'll go try and look at that site; I'm intellectually-secure enough to be able to read a different opinion w/o feeling threatened. In fact, I'll do what I can to approach the topic - without typical liberal-close-mindedness, but give it an honest shake. See? Unlike MOST libs, I'm more concerned with the TRUTH than being right, id est, having my own preconceived ideas validated.

:)

dmp said:
Translation:

Oh - I read his post wrong. I'll go try and look at that site; I'm intellectually-secure enough to be able to read a different opinion w/o feeling threatened. In fact, I'll do what I can to approach the topic - without typical liberal-close-mindedness, but give it an honest shake. See? Unlike MOST libs, I'm more concerned with the TRUTH than being right, id est, having my own preconceived ideas validated.

Actually, let's be honest here. You're NOT concerned with TRUTH. You're concerned with proselytizing your faith. Admirable. But not science. And telling folk who don't share your belief that the Bible is scientific or literal that THEY are the ones with closed minds is kind of um...self-serving.

BTW, I have my own religious beliefs. They just aren't the same as yours. The "libs" thing, doesn't really address core differences in belief systems.

Anyway, back to work...

Laterz.

jillian said:
Actually, let's be honest here. You're NOT concerned with TRUTH. You're concerned with proselytizing your faith. Admirable. But not science. And telling folk who don't share your belief that the Bible is scientific or literal that THEY are the ones with closed minds is kind of um...self-serving.

BTW, I have my own religious beliefs. They just aren't the same as yours. The "libs" thing, doesn't really address core differences in belief systems.

Anyway, back to work...

Laterz.

Smell that? smells like a cop-out. Admit it Jillian...You're kinda hot for me, aren't ya.

-Cp said:
EVOLUTION WATCH
Bill Maher challenged to intelligent-design debate
Author Ray Comfort says TV satirist too insecure to accept offer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: May 10, 2006
1:00 a.m. Eastern

A Christian author and TV host whose latest book, "Intelligent Design Versus Evolution: Letters to an Atheist," debunks Darwinism has challenged fellow television personality Bill Maher to a public debate on the origins of the Earth.

Says Ray Comfort: "Mr. Maher, like all believers in the theory of evolution, simply has a blind faith in a theory-tale that can't be substantiated. It's just another opiate of the masses – a religion called 'Darwinism' that piously robes itself in what it thinks is 'science.' It is true science fiction."

Comfort hosts "The Way of the Master" with actor Kirk Cameron.

"I am beginning to suspect that some men may have evolved from chickens, or at least that's the impression I get when it comes to evolutionists standing up for their convictions," notes Comfort. "Mr. Maher can choose the place of the debate. I don't mind if he has it in front of his audience. He can bill it as 'Another simple-minded Christian being thrown to the lions.'"

The former host of "Politically Incorrect," Maher now hosts "Real Time with Bill Maher" on HBO and is known to be hostile toward religious faith.

In a statement, Comfort quotes Maher as saying last year: "Evolution is supported by the entire scientific community ... the reason there is no real debate is that intelligent design isn't real science. ..."

Responds Comfort: "I can scientifically prove intelligent design. Let's have 20 minutes each. I present my case (I won't even mention 'faith') and then he can present his case for evolution. I say that he doesn't have one. He's bluffing. I don't mind if he spends his 20 minutes telling jokes, because that's all he has."

In 2001, Comfort was a platform speaker at the American Atheists' 27th National Convention. He has also spoken on the subject of intelligent design at Yale, UCLA and other institutions.

Comfort says his publication "The Atheist Test" has sold over 700,000 copies. He's the author of more than 50 books, including "God Doesn't Believe in Atheists" and "The Evidence Bible."

Referencing intelligent design, Comfort said, "Hundreds of scientific scholars and researchers throughout the world support it – including scientists with the U.S. National Academy of Sciences and the Smithsonian Institute, with doctoral degrees in biological sciences, physics, chemistry, mathematics, medicine, computer science and related disciplines, from universities such as Yale, Princeton, Stanford, MIT, UC Berkeley, and UCLA. So Mr. Maher can't dismiss the idea as 'not scientific' just because he doesn't like that conclusion."

Added the author: "'Intelligent Design Versus Evolution' contains scores of letters written by a very intelligently designed atheist who gives evolution's best arguments. I think that's healthy. Yet pro-evolution pseudo-intellectuals are calling for censorship, by not allowing school kids the freedom to listen to both sides of the argument. That reveals their insecurity."

What's the point...Being challenged to a battle of wits by an adherent of "intelligent design' is to be challenged by someone who is clearly unarmed.

Responds Comfort: "I can scientifically prove intelligent design. Let's have 20 minutes each. I present my case (I won't even mention 'faith') and then he can present his case for evolution. I say that he doesn't have one. He's bluffing. I don't mind if he spends his 20 minutes telling jokes, because that's all he has."

I'd say this guy is full of shit! If he could REALLY scientifically PROVE ID, there wouldn't be any argument to be had.

Forum List

Back