He's been to Iraq 35 times and Afghanistan 9 times

R

rdean

A native Texan, Scott is a favorite on CMT Countdown on Country Music Television and had his own half-hour special on Comedy Central Presents. He’s appeared on Premium Blend, NBC's Last Comic Standing, CBS's The Late Late Show and ABC’s Good Morning America.
2007 marks the 18th year of standup comedy for Scott. He headlines at clubs and colleges across the country and is a favorite on XM radio. He continues to be in demand at Harrah's in Las Vegas, performing to sold-out crowds up to five times a year, and Comedy Central lists him as one of the top 100 comics of all time.

Cast of Laughing Matters...The Men

Just watched a comic on HBO named Scott Kennedy, who said he has been to Iraq to perform for the troops 35 times and went to Afghanistan 9 times. He said he has been shot, but being from Texas, nothing would keep him from going back.

He said the troops are the best audiences he has ever had. He said they have a hard time believing he's gay because he looks like a big redneck. He said he played football in high school and the coach caught him in the shower and told him to stop and he said, "It's mine and I'll wash it as fast as I want".

He said that he always does the full gay show, and he know the troops appreciate it, some more than others. He said Marines have told him they are "family".

ScottKennedy_thumb.jpg

I thought he was far more interesting than his "routine", especially when he talked about supporting the troops. I think too many Americans forget they are still out there.

When I was in Afghanistan, all the celebrities basically did the Kandahar/Bagram circuit (to include Limbaugh) - i.e. the "safe circuit".

With the exception of one:

Vince Vaughn made it out to Salerno, a forward FOB and pinned a soldiers stripes on him when he got promoted to Sergent.

That's pretty cool.

When I was in Afghanistan, all the celebrities basically did the Kandahar/Bagram circuit (to include Limbaugh) - i.e. the "safe circuit".

Vince Vaughn made it out to Salerno, a forward FOB and pinned a soldiers stripes on him when he got promoted to Sergent.

That's pretty cool.

Good for Vince, but he's still a dick.

That's pretty cool.

Did he personally wrong you or something?

That's pretty cool.

Did he personally wrong you or something?

Nah, he just comes across as a dick all the things I've read and heard about him. Doesn't mean he can't do some good things though.

Look at Paris Hilton for example, total waste of oxygen, BUT she has recently done one good thing, she is working to provide every soldier in Iraq and Afghanistan with an IPOD full of tunes, that's pretty cool, but she's still a dumb shit.

That's pretty cool.

I've never heard of a FOB in the rear....is that part of the Obama exit strategy now?? Building bases along our retreat routes?

That's pretty cool.

I've never heard of a FOB in the rear....is that part of the Obama exit strategy now?? Building bases along our retreat routes?

I suppose that's a little redundant. "Forward Forward Operating Base". Anyways, I meant the FOBs that were on the border.

Most of the celebrities didn't go out to them. But Vaughn did.

That's pretty cool.

I suppose that's a little redundant. "Forward Forward Operating Base". Anyways, I meant the FOBs that were on the border.

A bunch of WWE wrestlers came to my base in Kirkuk when we were getting mortared about 3 times a day.

A bunch of WWE wrestlers came to my base in Kirkuk when we were getting mortared about 3 times a day.

That's pretty cool. I am still bitter that the Hooter's girls wouldn't come out to see us.

Instead, we got Geraldo.

That's pretty cool. I am still bitter that the Hooter's girls wouldn't come out to see us.

Instead, we got Geraldo.

We got Rummy and General Jumper too.

I proudly shook Jumper's hand and snubbed Rumsfeld being the piece of shit that he is.

Instead, we got Geraldo.

We got Rummy and General Jumper too.

I proudly shook Jumper's hand and snubbed Rumsfeld being the piece of shit that he is.

Nice.

GEN Schoomaker came out to see us. My platoon got tagged to go on counter-rocket patrol the night he was there (never been so happy to leave the wire). I thought i was going to miss the whole dog and pony show. We got the RTB orders the next morning and I went and grabbed breakfast only to find out the officers were having breakfast with him. I walked into the room and someone was nice enough to leave me a seat right next to him.

Just my luck. The only thing I remember was him telling us that we had to "love" this more than our families. I remember thinking to myself: "Is this guy serious?"

I realized that he was not only serious, but he was also running the Army. That's about the point I started to question the merits of spending the next 16 years working for people whose value's were so skewed.

Forum List

Back