Heroin Crisis Solved; Or Not; Our Choice

Measuring America’s changing drug habits, on the border
SAN YSIDRO, Calif. — Mexican traffickers are sending a flood of cheap heroin and methamphetamine across the U.S. border, the latest drug seizure statistics show, in a new sign that America’s marijuana decriminalization trend is upending the North American narcotics trade.

The amount of cannabis seized by U.S. federal, state and local officers along the boundary with Mexico has fallen 37 percent since 2011, a period during which American marijuana consumers have increasingly turned to the more potent, higher-grade domestic varieties cultivated under legal and quasi-legal protections in more than two dozen U.S. states.

Timeline:

1. Mexico imported most of the nation's MJ. The fed had a delicate balance with the Mexican economy, of which pot exports were a huge part of. This consisted of strategically dialing in suppressing the influx & balancing the market. The cartels also had a delicate balance among themselves, keeping the supply/demand ratio in balance. Pretty much like how commercial merchants of all trades form unions to settle on prices so all can benefit.

2. Pot illegally is "legalized" (against federal law) in the US, state by state, using "medicine" as the shoehorn to ultimate free for all. Unregulated medicine is as illegal as recreational medicine of any Schedule 1 FDA regulated substance.

3. The price of pot and its delicate economic balance re: Mexico begins to plummet. Mexican cartels (and Mexico itself) take what is the equivalent of a baseball bat to the nuts.

4. During the parallel timeline, cartel wars and beheadings begin as competition for that dying market increased. Then the reality of the futility even of that struggle sets in as Mexican-MJ economy gets its last coffin nails...as more and more states illegally-legalize.

5. Then Mexican pot cartels switch to a much more lucrative market, one much more addictive and deadly: opium.

6. The US social situation worsens as the heroin epidemic sweeps the nation "from unknown causes all of a sudden!" :cranky: Law enforcement is overburdened. Heroin quickly renders addicts derelict dependent criminals and thieves. The social welfare rolls begin to swell, taxing an already precarious economy, law enforcement, jail and prison budgets. Insurance companies take more and more hits as more and more petty and serious crime results in property theft to maintain the blind and strong urge of the heroin addicts.

(Russia/China, are you giggling right now? :popcorn:)

So people would say that this illegal legalizing has no repercussions. I beg to differ. Even when they agree they say "well what are you going to do about it? So many states now have "legal" pot" (while it remains on Schedule 1).

Solution will be tough, but actually simple. It will require brass nuggs on behalf of the fed. Simply pass a resolution in Congress that shuts off federal funding to states that have defied federal law. If they fail to re-criminalize pot, they don't get money until they comply. Period.

At the various state levels, look for heads to roll to blame the chaos on with pot laws. State by state a person or group of people (usually the sitting AG at the time) responsible for screening newly proposed laws, either by legislature or referendum, for compliance with federal law FIRST before they were voted on, are weeded out and brought into the limelight for questioning. Their failure of duty will be the culprit. Adjustments can be made before this becomes a complete US nightmare. Dust will settle and life will go on.

The US officials can strike old deals with Mexican cartels in exchange for reduction or elimination of heroin imports. And, life can go back to normal. People wanting to be rebellious can turn back to pot, and forego heroin, the more deadly of the two Mexican imports. The jails and social service programs can breathe a sigh of relief.

Or, we can accept an escalating heroin problem, economic assault from derelict addicts increasing exponentially, and a real threat to our national security. Our choice. The liberals responsible for this downward spiral are clearly incapable of thinking or understanding even the rudiments of delicate economies of the US and Mexico and how they interplay. Pissing off Mexico at our southern doorstep, with our enemies abroad drooling, is not a good plan for national security. Liberals meanwhile do all they can to keep that permeable border with even more and more holes. This is just simply asinine. Smarter minds need to bypass the kicking and screaming and rip the bandaid off.

Here's the approach lawmakers with brains need to take addressing the liberal outcry
vv

Here’s where your narrative breaks down.

The opioid crisis didnt happen because Mexico flooded the US market with cheap heroin. It happened because American physicians over-prescribed opioid based painkillers to their patients, who got hooked by the millions. When physicians cut off their addicted patients many then turned to street heroin and the Mexicans have taken advantage of that opportunity.

And when people started dying by the thousands, the drug manufacturers asked the FDA to ease restrictions on the prescription and sale of the opioids worsening the situation. And the agency complied with the request.

I understand your theory that legalizing pot has forced producers/suppliers of pot to switch-to another product and that product is heroine. Personally, I am very skeptical that is why we are seeing an increase in heroine use. Did you contrive this theory out of thin air, or do you have any corroborating evidence? Just because pot is legalized and heroine use goes up, does not prove a cause and effect.

No, it's true. If pot was still illegal (and therefore profitable) I never would have switched markets and thus never caught seven felony drug sale charges. And that's only street level, which works it's way up.

Simply put I wasn't gonna get bud anymore when I couldn't sell it for even 50% more than I paid. I knew some dope and crackheads that could give me enough money daily to keep my own heroin habit going and switched markets entirely, since selling pot no longer sufficed to fund my dope habit.

Also, do you think I was the only person that stopped selling pot and switched to hard narcotics? No. And that is why the cartels switched as well, because us little guys (the workhorses that ultimately move it all to the user) couldn't get rid of it at profit that vastly exceeded the income of a regular 9-5 job. At that point it was either get a second job and work yourself to death for 80 hours a week (while fucked up on dope) or sell hard drugs.

I chose to sell hard drugs...because they legalized pot.

I got caught a little more than 12 months afterwards, so it didn't last long lol. At least I got clean in prison.

Thanks for your input, and sharing your story. Let me ask, so do you sense that you increased the number of heroin users? And if so, what was the drug of choice for these new heroine users before you and others pushed them to heroine?

I understand your theory that legalizing pot has forced producers/suppliers of pot to switch-to another product and that product is heroine. Personally, I am very skeptical that is why we are seeing an increase in heroine use. Did you contrive this theory out of thin air, or do you have any corroborating evidence? Just because pot is legalized and heroine use goes up, does not prove a cause and effect.

I wonder if the OP realizes that opiate overdoses went down by 25 percent in CO the year they legalized marijuana, and have continued to drop since?

Right! I live in Co and just saw that stat. I think it was on a billboard.

So do either one of you admit that pot was a major cartel economy from south of the border before it was (not) legalized in various states where mass production began north of the border, flooding their old market? And if yes, did you notice a sudden flurry of cartel infighting/beheadings around roughly that timeline? And if yes, did you also notice an exponential increase in heroin addiction even into more typically conservative families?

Do you suppose that all those things along the same rough timeline are all just coincidence?

No, it's true. If pot was still illegal (and therefore profitable) I never would have switched markets and thus never caught seven felony drug sale charges. And that's only street level, which works it's way up.

Simply put I wasn't gonna get bud anymore when I couldn't sell it for even 50% more than I paid. I knew some dope and crackheads that could give me enough money daily to keep my own heroin habit going and switched markets entirely, since selling pot no longer sufficed to fund my dope habit.

Also, do you think I was the only person that stopped selling pot and switched to hard narcotics? No. And that is why the cartels switched as well, because us little guys (the workhorses that ultimately move it all to the user) couldn't get rid of it at profit that vastly exceeded the income of a regular 9-5 job. At that point it was either get a second job and work yourself to death for 80 hours a week (while fucked up on dope) or sell hard drugs.

I chose to sell hard drugs...because they legalized pot.

I got caught a little more than 12 months afterwards, so it didn't last long lol. At least I got clean in prison.

Thanks for your input, and sharing your story. Let me ask, so do you sense that you increased the number of heroin users? And if so, what was the drug of choice for these new heroine users before you and others pushed them to heroine?

No, the amount of heroin users increased due to the recent and extreme limiting/canceling of legal pain medications, couple this with the market movement towards opiods, due to marijuana's legalization, you end up with MANY more heroin users than ever.

Furthermore, the overdose rate (percentage) per user also increased dramatically because:
1: More fentanyl than ever is being produced and imported into the US.
2: More new users don't know their limits

I was one of the few dope dealers that remained who would provide heroin NOT laced with fentanyl (as the police lab tests ), because my customers were older people (vietnam vets) who were very picky and experienced with dope. I chose this older crowd because they were more responsible, more mature, didn't fuck around with payment and least likely to get in trouble or rat if they did. It wasn't even one of these guys that ratted on me either, it was my connect/plug (supplier). LOL.

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but the legalization of marijuana and the limiting of legal pain meds occurred at the same time on purpose by the powers that be.

Weed Killer

Druggies are incurable and a threat to society. They deserve no second chance. Just as in any other pest control, poison the drug supply and let these dangerous misfits die off.
What if one of them was your wife, brother, mother or kid who got hooked via depression or some such pain-killing acting out (as youth do quite a lot BTW). Still would be in favor of them dying from being poisoned? Or would you rather we address the root of the problem (pain numbing initially, then addiction full blown)?

Weed Killer

Druggies are incurable and a threat to society. They deserve no second chance. Just as in any other pest control, poison the drug supply and let these dangerous misfits die off.

All of my customers were Vietnam vets with serious wartime inflicted injuries/maimings. I haven't used a drug since May5th of 2016 and have resumed my normal life teaching piano and clarinet lessons, am I incurable?

All of my customers were Vietnam vets with serious wartime inflicted injuries/maimings. I haven't used a drug since May5th of 2016 and have resumed my normal life teaching piano and clarinet lessons, am I incurable?
Your karma may be.

Weed Killer

What if one of them was your wife, brother, mother or kid who got hooked via depression or some such pain-killing acting out (as youth do quite a lot BTW). Still would be in favor of them dying from being poisoned? Or would you rather we address the root of the problem (pain numbing initially, then addiction full blown)?
Toxic Tolerance

No excuses. Think of their victims, instead of preaching a decadent permissiveness pushing the doormats' idea that such self-indulgent thrill-killers are victims themselves and it's all our fault for not being nice to them. Would you feel so sorry for a drug thug whose victims included your wife, brother, mother, and kid?

Weed Killer

. I haven't used a drug since May5th of 2016 and have resumed my normal life teaching piano and clarinet lessons, am I incurable?
The First Time Is an Indelible Crime

We can't afford to make a general policy based on a rare and lucky case like yours.

Forum List

Back